2004 - 2008 F-150

Gas Smell in Cab after having spark plugs changed

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by runningmangb
I took it back again, and they said, oh the PCV valve wasnt replaced correctly and this was the issue...again WRONG
Your truck does not have a PCV valve! Find a new shop

Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
Your truck does not have a PCV valve! Find a new shop

MGD

Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan

MGD
Wiki is wrong lol I was gonna replace it on my 05 F150 and my dealer told me the 5.4l does not have one, only the 4.2 and the 4.6 have it. I just checked Tascafordparts.com myself and they do not list one for a 2005 F150 with the 5.4l

Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
Wiki is wrong lol I was gonna replace it on my 05 F150 and my dealer told me the 5.4l does not have one, only the 4.2 and the 4.6 have it. I just checked Tascafordparts.com myself and they do not list one for a 2005 F150 with the 5.4l
That's a RockAuto listing - ask Tasca to source that part #

Wiki my ***

MGD

Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
HAHA just saw Wiki in the picture lol

Cheers!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I believe the PCV valve is just an orifice inside the valve cover.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Exact same problem

I am having the exact same problem. Had my plugs changed, now the cab smells of fuel fumes. I plan on taking my truck back to the ford dealer who did the service.
I am wondering if anyone here has successfully corrected the issue, so I can mention your solution to them to possibly expedite the troubleshooting.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently had my plugs changed and noticed the fuel smell. I went back and checked the torque on the plugs and found two slightly loose. The smell was not completely gone, but def. much lighter. I then went back and removed the plugs and then reinstalled them. I torqued them to 30 ft lbs. and so far I have not noticed any smell. I have used the A/C and heat the last few weeks and idled in traffic too.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Same thing

I bought my 2007 Screw a few months back. I had misfiring issues and took it back to the dealer. They changed all 8 plugs but ever since then I have been smelling gas and fumes coming from the vents. It's real bad whe I first start the truck. How does gas/fumes get into your vents just because your plugs may not be tightened to the right specs? What would be recommended if the plugs are not the issue/ Checking evap hoses and fuel rail? Any help welcome!! Thanks guys.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Voo
Originally Posted by dhepting
I bought my 2007 Screw a few months back. I had misfiring issues and took it back to the dealer. They changed all 8 plugs but ever since then I have been smelling gas and fumes coming from the vents. It's real bad whe I first start the truck. How does gas/fumes get into your vents just because your plugs may not be tightened to the right specs? What would be recommended if the plugs are not the issue/ Checking evap hoses and fuel rail? Any help welcome!! Thanks guys.
If the plugs are loose it can push atomized fuel and air into the engine compartment. The air for ventilation system comes from the cowl, so the fuel is just picked up by your fan and blown into the interior through whatever vents you have selected.

I never heard of anyone being injured but it sounds like a recipe for an explosion to me. The air/fuel ratio must be far too lean to ignite because if it could happen I think it would have by now.

The thought of having atomized fuel under the hood or in my interior scares the bejesus out of me!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Exclamation It was the plugs for me!!!

Ok, I had the same gas smell after I had paid my local Ford dealer a lot of $$$ for the 100K tune up that included new plugs. After the service was complete, I started smelling gas when I started up my truck (05 F-150 King Ranch). I took it back to the dealer and they said they couldn't smell it (but I still could). I asked them to check the torque because of this post. They said they did. I lived with it for a few more months then took it to another Ford dealer. They could smell it and thought the smell was coming from a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, which they replaced for $1100! After the air freshener they sprayed in my cab wore off I could smell it again. I took it back to the 2nd Ford dealer and reminded them about this post and to check the plugs again! They called back and said the torque was fine on them but when they removed them they noticed a number of them had grime between the plugs and where the spark plug makes contact with the engine. And now my gas smell is GONE! Yes!!! (did the exhaust gasket really need to be replaced...?) Anyways, I'm happy to have this fixed and not driving me crazy anymore. Thanks everyone for contributing to this community. Needless to say I will not be going back for any service or new vehicle purchases from Dealer #1.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Always gotta blow out the sparkplug hole before removing the plug

Old 03-08-2016, 08:30 PM
After changing the plugs on my 2005 FX4 I had to retorque them at about 2000 miles because I was getting fumes in the cab. With the truck running I took a short piece of
pvc pipe and held over the top of each plug and could immediately tell where the exhaust odor was coming from. I went ahead and retorqued all of them and it was completely fixed. In the short term, you can also hit the recirc button on your hvac and the exhaust odor doesn't go into the cab.

Quick Reply: Gas Smell in Cab after having spark plugs changed