2004 - 2008 F-150

Wrenches or chopsticks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrenches or chopsticks?

I just read a signature on another members post that said "My truck was built with wrenches not chopsticks" and then it dawned on me that today I had to use a metric wrench to remove my dash.
Why in the heck are they using metric screws on an American made truck? I guess they are cheaper to purchase than American standard. And we wonder why our economy is in the crapper.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joneser5000
I just read a signature on another members post that said "My truck was built with wrenches not chopsticks" and then it dawned on me that today I had to use a metric wrench to remove my dash.
Why in the heck are they using metric screws on an American made truck? I guess they are cheaper to purchase than American standard. And we wonder why our economy is in the crapper.
The quote on the sig is in reference to American built as opposed to Japan (or at least Japanese, since most of them are built is the U.S. now).
The U.S. has used metric in cars and trucks since around the late 70's. It's been a real mess though because we were supposed to adopt metric back then, but a lot of the cars (most) had a mix of metric and A.S. Metric has never gone over here the way they planned on, but most of the rest of the world has been metric forever. The exception is England that used "Whitworth", so back then you had 3 different systems and I have no idea what they use now, probably metric, but I wouldn't bet on it. They've ALWAYS been kinda messed up when it came to cars (and the bolts that hold them together).

P.S. The bolts aren't made in a foreign country just because they're metric. On second thought, I guess China IS a foreign country isn't it? Is there ANYTHING we buy that isn't made there now??? Pretty sickening!!!

Last edited by code58; 09-15-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by code58
The quote on the sig is in reference to American built as opposed to Japan (or at least Japanese, since most of them are built is the U.S. now).
The U.S. has used metric in cars and trucks since around the late 70's. It's been a real mess though because we were supposed to adopt metric back then, but a lot of the cars (most) had a mix of metric and A.S. Metric has never gone over here the way they planned on, but most of the rest of the world has been metric forever. The exception is England that used "Whitworth", so back then you had 3 different systems and I have no idea what they use now, probably metric, but I wouldn't bet on it. They've ALWAYS been kinda messed up when it came to cars (and the bolts that hold them together).

P.S. The bolts aren't made in a foreign country just because they're metric. On second thought, I guess China IS a foreign country isn't it? Is there ANYTHING we buy that isn't made there now??? Pretty sickening!!!
I know of one thing for sure that I buy that is made in the USA... It's my Copenhagen

Old 09-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
imperial units

Here's a little info map for you:

And, I think Liberia officially switched earlier this year to metric, so just the US and Burma still holding to the imperial system.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Wow, He so smot.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep in mind also that most American vehicles use parts and/or components that are manufactured overseas. In fact, most American manufacturer's are not really American companies -- they're multi-nationals that have manufacturing facilities scattered all over the globe. For example, my 2009 Ranger (built in St. Paul, MN) has a 4.0 V6 engine that was built in Cologne, Germany.

For the sake of consistency, it simply makes sense to use one standard so you're not continually switching back-and-forth between metric and standard sizes. If you have to pick a standard, you might as well choose the one that's already embraced by 90% of the world's population.....

Last edited by ddellwo; 09-15-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM
The only metric I ever really needed to take apart the interior of my truck was an 8mm socket. That one little socket could disassemble the entire interior. The only exception being the torx bolts that hold the seats down

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Did I start this?

I never thought my little ol' sig would start such an in depth discussion.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
The only metric I ever really needed to take apart the interior of my truck was an 8mm socket. That one little socket could disassemble the entire interior. The only exception being the torx bolts that hold the seats down
NLJ- Are you SURE you needed an 8mm on your interior? Do you drive a '94 as you're profile states? Do you realize an 8mm and a 5/16 are EXACTLY the same??? I have always used them interchangeably.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Did I start this?

I never thought my little ol' sig would start such an in depth discussion.
Yes sir, I guess you did

Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
NLJ- Are you SURE you needed an 8mm on your interior? Do you drive a '94 as you're profile states? Do you realize an 8mm and a 5/16 are EXACTLY the same??? I have always used them interchangeably.
Sorry, I should have clarified, I was referring to my old '05. I always kepted the 8mm out and on the ratchet, because I used it all the time

Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
Sorry, I should have clarified, I was referring to my old '05. I always kepted the 8mm out and on the ratchet, because I used it all the time
Yea, after I posted I went to your profile and saw the '05. Since an 8mm is used extensively on our American vehicles now I'm glad that 5/16 is the same because you can at least spread the wear out that way. When I was working I used an impact most of the time (1/4 in on the small stuff like that), but even then it would eat the 8mm's fairly often.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Old news. Heck my old '82 F250 had metric bolts on it.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
actually 5/16" is 7.9375 mm... so close, but not "EXACTLY" the same.

A measuring system based on 12 divisions was smart back in the day... 12 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 6. So when people built things without calculators they could easily calculate 1/2 or 1/4 lengths. Whereas 10 is only divisible by 2 and 5.

Now that we all have digital calculators, the metric system makes more sense.

Quick Reply: Wrenches or chopsticks?