2004 - 2008 F-150

A/C Not cold unless moving

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Not cold unless moving

I have a remote start on my truck and the sole reason I got it was to cool down or heat up my truck before I got in it. Problem is that my A/C doesn't blow cold air until I am moving. Buddy of mine told me it has something to do with the head pressure in the a/c system getting to high and that until i start moving and the pressure drops the a/c won't blow cold. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 AM
good thing you made this thread cuz my AC takes a good 5-10minutes on recirculation power level 3-4 to get the cab cold in 90degree weather.... This isnt normal right?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you probably have a bad fan clutch. i did. same problem. got the ac serviced and as long as i was moving it was cold. stop and it was blowing hot. i was told that this is a known problem with our trucks. fan clutch is about 60 bucks at napa and takes at the most a half hour to change. the only difficult or tricky part is getting it off. there is the big nut. it has right hand threads. you will not get it off by trying to hold the pulley and wrenching the nut. put a wrench on it and smack it with a hammer to shock or impact it.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the a/c system in these trucks are just junk. I've replaced my clutch fan, I put the valve in the heater core line, I checked the blend door operation, I had the freon checked, and blew the condenser and radiator out. I'm out of options on mine. My '02 I had would completely freeze me out in 10 minutes, the cab would be bareable in 2 minutes on real hot days. I can go the 10 mile highway trip to town on a 90 degree day in this '04 and it would almost be comfortable if I leave the fan on 4 the whole trip when I get to town. Sometimes it seems to blow colder on 3 at first though, but it doesn't move as much air.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well A/C works better when your moving because there is more airflow over the condensor in the front of the truck. But you should still get some cold air at idle, it may not be blowing ice crystals but after at least 1 min you should feel cool air comming out of the vents.

I would check your A/C charge first.

Do you have an electric fan?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 PM
yep mine does it too actually just started doing it. My mechanic said fan clutch.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Mine to, i get the remote start for the same reason, here normal temperature is about 95, in summer it can pass 100.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Just in case you went off-roading anytime soon, you should make sure you clean out the A/C Clutch and A/C Condenser. I had some leftover mud in my A/C Clutch which obviously was hindering the accurate flow of freon.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I also have a bad fan clutch. I took my truck to have the A/C looked t and the guy told me that I need to fix my fan clutch first. He was able to hold the fan with his bare hands. He says under normal circumstances , it would rip his hand off.
Ive been researching the E fans for the past 2 days and it seems that there are no kits / solutions for the efan controllers as of now. Some guys save FAL, others say MarkVIII, others say 2010 F150, in the end, theres a huge mixed review on all these setups. I think im going to the ford dealer tomorrow and going OE until a better kit is designed for the Efans .

Old 08-27-2010, 12:21 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Have you looked at the Troyer efan kit?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
like i said in an earlier post i was told that the fan clutch is a known problem. the fact that you see the symptoms and they have a history of being defective would make me think that you should replace it. its only 60 bucks and wont get any better on its own.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MedicF150
the guy told me that I need to fix my fan clutch first. He was able to hold the fan with his bare hands. He says under normal circumstances , it would rip his hand off.
So he tests all fan clutches this way. I assume he has never found a "good" clutch otherwise his "test" would only last once.

IF the fan free spins by hand when the engine is cold (AND OFF) more than 2-3 times it could be bad. See if it is leaking.

Regardless, if the fan is spinning at idle during a cold start then its drawing air through the condenser, its not locked up but its doing its job.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Sounds like fan clutch, Mine did the same for 4 freaking years. I finally replaced the fan clutch with a ford dealer part and no FREAKING diffrence. Went to Oriely auto parts and they had a severe duty fan clutch, and you can fell that sucker blowing the air in the engine bay. This fixed my problem.
Ford part was $120.00. and oriely was $60.00

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by tim98

Regardless, if the fan is spinning at idle during a cold start then its drawing air through the condenser, its not locked up but its doing its job.
On my truck. On COLD ENGINE start ups, yes the fan was sucking alot of air through condensor.( have a bug net and it would be stuck to the condensor)( AC would blow cold). The problem was on HOT START UPS, the fan was turning but not enough air suction through condensor( bug net would just sag,)thus hot air ,luke warm air.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM
The first summer that I had my 2008 truck I took it in to the dealer since the A/C was so poor, especially when idling. They tested it and said it was fine. I argued with them and started it and told them to put their hands on the vent and see how warm the air was. They said that Ford requires the test to be done with the engine runing at (if I remember correctly) 1100 RPM, not the 700 or whatever it idles at. The fan simply does not move enough air through the condenser to remove the heat. Of course, in my opinion these trucks A/C sucks even when driving down interstate. If I lived in a truly hot and humid area I wouldn't own one, but truly hot and humid days are limited here in Pittsburgh. This really is the worst A/C I have ever had in a vehicle in my 38 years of driving (except of course for all the cars I have had that didn't have A/C back in the Dark Ages )

Quick Reply: A/C Not cold unless moving