2004 - 2008 F-150

Caution - Pillar handle may break

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, wonder if it's the same design on the Expys. I forgot you guys have a different style handle, which is why it took me a little bit to get what you were saying as far as what broke. I think ours is 2 piece, where the handle comes off with bolts, and trim is held by friction pins, but can't remember.

Granted, it almost looks like F150 and Expedition handles mount the same way, since the bolts look to be in about the same area. Damn, I hope my fatass doesn't break it one day.

Name:  IMGA0061.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:  IMGA0062.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  13.6 KB

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't hurt yourself, nor dinged up the other person's car.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 PM
^^ yea same basic principal. The 04-08 F150 handle is molded into the pillar. Behind the pillar is a metal bracket that mounts to the mold with some screws and the same bolts shown above (7 mm I think). The metal bracket is supposed to prevent the bolts from pulling threw (which it did), instead the recessed pieces that the bolt sits in sheered off, thus the metal bracket was useless.

Here are some more pics, maybe they will help explain how it failed (Sorry for bad quality, snapped with phone):

Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I've heard of this happening before....but usually its due to people excessively using the handles and being in the 350+ lb range....still, should hold a person.

I have not had issues with mind but I mainly use them for balance and use my step bars for weight.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that is disturbing. I'm 61 and 250lb. I DEPEND on that thing to get into my screw!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 AM

Same thing happened to mine a while back. I rigged it up and screwed it back in place. Seems stronger than before.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they are designed to be jerked on to pull yourself into the truck. Seems more likely that they are for holding onto while driving (taking turns fast, sharp curves and whatnot). If you look at the pictures and consider how they broke off (while climbing in), they failed under the moment you put on them. When climbing in the force you put on them is almost pure shear. They just can't handle a shear force that strong.

Then again, it would depend on how hard you're pulling yourself in. My buddy is the one who pulled mine off and he was a little overzealous hopping in when it failed.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Same thing happened to mine a while back. I rigged it up and screwed it back in place. Seems stronger than before.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they are designed to be jerked on to pull yourself into the truck. Seems more likely that they are for holding onto while driving (taking turns fast, sharp curves and whatnot). If you look at the pictures and consider how they broke off (while climbing in), they failed under the moment you put on them. When climbing in the force you put on them is almost pure shear. They just can't handle a shear force that strong.

Then again, it would depend on how hard you're pulling yourself in. My buddy is the one who pulled mine off and he was a little overzealous hopping in when it failed.
This is true, but I was using it mainly for stability as I squeezed into the truck with the door partially open.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM

I hear ya. IIRC I just drilled some holes into that metal bracket and screwed it back onto the pillar piece. Also took some epoxy to re-attach the two pieces that sheared off. Then used the bolts that originally held it on to put it back in place.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I guess Ford gave another reason why they're called (Oh *****) handles. Just curious to what you said when you were falling?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by powerz69
I guess Ford gave another reason why they're called (Oh *****) handles. Just curious to what you said when you were falling?
Probaly said Oh ****

Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by powerz69
It more along the lines of "I cant believe that motherf%ck@r just broke". Since I did not bust my butt I was more pissed that it broke than anything.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
FYI, Ford did not give me any grief, they are covering it under warranty. The part has not come in yet so I am driving around with a half naked interior.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by mdhawkin
FYI, Ford did not give me any grief, they are covering it under warranty. The part has not come in yet so I am driving around with a half naked interior.
Good to hear. Did they say if it is a common thing?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Carolinaboy32
Good to hear. Did they say if it is a common thing?
No they did not, I will ask them though once the part comes in and I go up there to get it. The service rep did say it was back ordered and may take a little longer to come in. Don't know if that means they don't keep many around or they have been going through them. If I had to guess I would say it is not a common problem. Will keep you posted.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 PM

Ok cool. I'm just curious I have been wary using mine the last couple days

Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Glad they fixed you up.

Looking at the pictures, there's not a whole lot of real support there at all....makes you wonder why they make them look so heavy duty if they are not properly rigged.

I tip the scales at 245lbs and I sometimes only have one hand on that sucker when cleaning the roof panel or windshield! Guess I got off lucky.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Quick Reply: Caution - Pillar handle may break