2004 - 2008 F-150

Help with fuel filter removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You CAN NOT push the connector off the filter with the tool!

You insert the tool as far as it will go into the flare of the connector, there will not be a click noise. (At least I never heard one) There is a ring flared on the end of the filter that prevents you from pushing the thing off.

Once you get the tool seated, grab the hose and pull, do not try to force the tool, or you'll just bend it or break it.

See the pic below, on the right side, there is that ring. That is all the farther the tool can go, trying to push farther gets you nowhere. Once the tool is seated, pull the fuel line away from the filter.
Name:  fuelfilter003.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  165.5 KB

Last edited by jntibs; 06-23-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill try it again, that is what I have been trying to do but what I find when I push the tool in is that instead of it going into and unseating the ring it just starts to push the line backward against the flange. I try after that to pull the line off but nothing It looks like it is clearing up on the driveway, I will try again and if I cant get it will take a pic so you guys can see what I am trying to do. Maybe it is something obvious.

I do feel like I need 3 hands though.

Edit: why do you have 2? I only have that connector on one side of my filter? The other is just a snap ring

Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the_cosworth
Edit: why do you have 2? I only have that connector on one side of my filter? The other is just a snap ring
I stole that pic from the fuel filter How-To thread.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 PM
So since this is kinda on topic I thought id ask. I have the Flex fuel F150 and appearantly theres a difference in the filters. I went to Auto zone, they gave me the one for the flex fuel engine, and year of my truck. Well, go to put it on, and it was the wrong size. So im like..what the heck. I took it back, and tried advanced auto parts, except I brought the original filter with me. They gave me the one for the flex fuel, and yet, the ends were smaller than the filter on the truck. the only one that fit, was for the non-flex fuel truck. Any of you experience this?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Don't be surprised if you find out they sold you the wrong size tool.... I too spent a lot of time and frustration trying to replace my filter only to find out that the tool they sold me was wrong..... 05 FX4.

When you get the right tool it comes off in 3 shakes of a lambs tail

Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Haha wow what an adventure. I finally took some electronic cleaner to it (essentially brake cleaner) and some compressed air. Came off no problem as well as probably a tablespoon of silt.

Got the new filter on, fired it up, and it started to leak like a siv. So walked to the auto parts store where I found out they gave me the E85 filter which is smaller than the gasser. It started raining as soon as I went inside. Got soaked coming back, climbed under the truck, threw the new filter on and voilà perfect.

The universe must know I finished! Thanks for the help guys.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Based on your luck changing the fuel filter, I might suggest you consider never trying to change your spark plugs.....

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Haha I was thinking the same thing!

Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Damn, did mine last week, plastic tool, one of several in set, slipped it on the line, pushed away from filter into coupling, then pulled filter with toolopn it out of coupling.

Same as on my Tbirds, piece of cake.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:48 PM
The trick is to pull the line...

The trick to releasing the front connection is to carefully pull the fuel line away from the connection after seating the tool. Don't pull on the filter. Don't push or twist on the tool. Pull the fuel line. 30 second job done this way.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Mine gave in after the 10th time of changing it. Those little metal spring loaded clips on the front gave in. The plastic on the other maybe flimsier, but for some reason has lasted much longer.

I just chopped it off with a pipe cutter, and I'm using high pressure fuel hose with fuel injector clamps right to the filter. Works beautifully.

Quick Reply: Help with fuel filter removal tool