2004 - 2008 F-150

UDP, Efan, Gryphon and XXTRME frustration!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UDP, Efan, Gryphon and XXTRME frustration!!!

Okay, just let me vent a minute..... and yes, I spelled "extreme" with only 1 e and 2 x's

I am modding my truck something severe, if yall dont know me, see my thread in my sig. And I have done my research and want UDPs, Efans, and a gryphon, as made obvious in the title of the thread.

First, I got the programmer since most people said it was the biggest bang for the buck. I emailed Bill at PHP and even though they had never programed a 4.2 with a gryphon he said it wasnt a problem. My thought being if Im dropping 400 on a programmer I want something that I can see everyday. That was 3 months ago.

Second, I got an underdrive pulley direct from ASP, since alot of people recommended them. I was told it would be 3 months, and after hearing that I canceled and ordered through Troyer. What they wont tell you is that the "troyer" pulleys are still ASP's. So I had to wait on those. I actually got those in today, but need the programmer to adjust the idle RPM's to 850 to get a full alternator charge.

Third, efans. I got a Mark VIII from a scrapyard and from the advice of the wise sages, MGD fan included, ordered a DC FD-50p, or whatever its called. When I asked the manufactorer for an EDA, he just refunded my money. Seeing as how many of the other people who make efan controllers specifically say "not for use with a mark VIII fan" I had no choice but to re-order from DC. That was 6 weeks ago and I still dont have it.

SOOOOO..... I have spent
$450 - gryphon CS
$250 - UDP
$40 - mark VIII fan
$150 - dc controller

almost $900 and NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT!!!!
I cant install the UDP until the programmer works so I can udjust the idling speed.
I cant install the efan untill I have the controller.

FML

Last edited by Bluejay; 06-19-2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Do not circumvent the language filter
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

J/k Good luck. Go have a beer or thirteen.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1st4x4
J/k Good luck. Go have a beer or thirteen.
Yep Stuff Happens Go Relax!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Don't lose sight of what you are working with. Our trucks are never going to get good mileage. They are heavy and rather inefficient for city driving. I've done my share of mods too, Gryphon, efans, gotts intake mod, true dual exhaust, K&N air filter, new fuel filter, cleaned the MAF. Guess what? The mileage still sucks. It's a little better and the performance is quite a bit better but that's it. It is what it is. They are huge chunks of less than aerodynamic steel powered by a marginal (3V 5.4L) engine and a sub par 4sp transmission. From what I'm told the transmission is a major cause of the less than stellar fuel efficiency. Newer trucks, including the F150, have 6 speed transmissions.
I really like my truck don't get me wrong. It operates pretty much as advertised. The window sticker on mine said 14 city 18 highway. It is what it is. I went thru a honeymoon period where I thought I could make an appreciable difference with modifications. Looks like you are in the same boat. If you could shave several hundred pounds off and add a 6 speed tranny you would probably see the kind of improvements you are looking for. As we all know that isn't going to happen.
Your best friend and worst enemy is your right foot. We just have to learn to drive like old women. Think it's bad now wait until this summer. Gas prices are supposed to go well over $4/gallon.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=1st4x4[B]Pics or it didn't happen.
[/B]/QUOTE]

This kind of BS response is getting VERY old !!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 PM
^Responding to an 8 month old post is "getting VERY old"

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No kidding...

Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 AM
the pulleys you ordered, is it a 2 or 3 pulley set? i have a 2 pulley asp set and i never reprogrammed my idle higher. i see about 14.2v at idle

Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by mediumfast
Don't lose sight of what you are working with. Our trucks are never going to get good mileage. They are heavy and rather inefficient for city driving. I've done my share of mods too......
[QUOTE=sam1947;4511681]
Originally Posted by 1st4x4[B
Pics or it didn't happen.
[/B]/QUOTE]

This kind of BS response is getting VERY old !!
Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
the pulleys you ordered, is it a 2 or 3 pulley set? i have a 2 pulley asp set and i never reprogrammed my idle higher. i see about 14.2v at idle

Holy Cr@p .

How Oblivious are you people?

Do you not pay attention to how old a thread is?

And to "mediumfast"....why would you post to such an old thread? You knew how old it was cause the last post was way back in June of LaSt YeAr !

Folks, get a clue and learn how to use the internet....

Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 PM
6-months old, six-days old, six years old.....still true.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
No kidding...
[QUOTE=rms8;4512367]
Originally Posted by sam1947

Holy Cr@p .

How Oblivious are you people?

Do you not pay attention to how old a thread is?

And to "mediumfast"....why would you post to such an old thread? You knew how old it was cause the last post was way back in June of LaSt YeAr !

Folks, get a clue and learn how to use the internet....

Looks like lots of us are doing the same thing !!

Quick Reply: UDP, Efan, Gryphon and XXTRME frustration!!!