2004 - 2008 F-150

grounding cb.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grounding cb.

so my thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...me-help-2.html

has got me trying to get my cb right. i finally spent time with my voltmeter and think i got something.

if i hold one lead on my antenna mount, and the other on the part of my truck that the antenna mounts to, like right next to the mount, i dont have any continuity. if i grind through the paint and get metal i do have continuity. when i mounted my antenna i didnt sand off the paint. so is it possible that my ant. isnt grounded because theres paint between the mount and the bed of the truck?

so im guessing this can be a big factor in my problems right? would grinding off the paint between the mount and the bed be better than running a ground wire to somewhere?

i checked this with the coax unplugged and plugged in. i also checked the ground on the cb itself and thats fine.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 05-14-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
so my thread:

has got me trying to get my cb right. i finally spent time with my voltmeter and think i got something.

if i hold one lead on my antenna mount, and the other on the part of my truck that the antenna mounts to, like right next to the mount, i dont have any continuity. if i grind through the paint and get metal i do have continuity. when i mounted my antenna i didnt sand off the paint. so is it possible that my ant. isnt grounded because theres paint between the mount and the bed of the truck?

so im guessing this can be a big factor in my problems right? would grinding off the paint between the mount and the bed be better than running a ground wire to somewhere?

i checked this with the coax unplugged and plugged in. i also checked the ground on the cb itself and thats fine.
Did you get it figured out? Definitely make sure the mount is grounded properly because that can cause big issues.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
so my thread:

Dealing with RF you have a ground plane, but that is not the same as what you talk about (continuity between chassis and antenna mount). Removing the paint under your mount should not be an issue. To put it into perspective I have used magnetic antennas and have had not problems Tx or Rx over a good range. I think key factors are making sure you have good power and return to the CB itself, and your coax to the antenna is in good shape.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:15 AM
You MUST have a good ground on a hard mount antenna....Magnetic antennas are a different animal. That is likely the root of all your problems.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
so run a ground wire somewhere?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Frmboybuck
You MUST have a good ground on a hard mount antenna....Magnetic antennas are a different animal. That is likely the root of all your problems.
Did some reading on this...quite interesting. I guess I spoke too soon, thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:06 PM
No problem Hawkin. Yes fivespeedan you have a couple different options. You can run a ground strap from the mount to the bed or frame or take the mount off and grind the paint away.

Quick Reply: grounding cb.