2004 - 2008 F-150

DIY spark plug story w/ a happy ending...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Sounds like you didn't try the Ford dealer.........
Actually I tried two.

I decided I would either go with the Motorcraft brand carb cleaner or the Aero kroil, depending which was easier to get. I called 2 of the 3 local Ford dealers' parts deptartments. The first told me they didn't have any in stock and said it would be "awhile" before they got more in. The second told me they thought the guys in the service dept used it but they couldn't sell it to the public. So, I decided to go with the Aero, which was easily purchased thorough the Kano Labs website.

If I had thought it would make or break the project I would have been more persistent in getting the carb cleaner, but there was no guarantee it was going to make a difference anyway (based on my searching).

Old 04-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Southbound, you a Pat Green fan?
Good guess, Bluejay.

As an Austinite whose parents are originally from Kansas I'm partial to that song, and am quite a fan of Pat Green in general. I also have always liked Charlie Robison, another central Texas native .

Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Southbound 35
Good guess, Bluejay.

As an Austinite whose parents are originally from Kansas I'm partial to that song, and am quite a fan of Pat Green in general. I also have always liked Charlie Robison, another central Texas native .
Love the music of Green, both Bruce and Charlie Robison, Hayes Caryl, Ray Wylie, and many more.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by poptop
congrats. outa curiosity which plugs did you go with for replacements. i did mine myself at 72000 none broke. i put in motocrafts but i'm wondering if i shoulda went with the brisks.
After much deliberating, I went back with the Motorcrafts. The local O'Reailly had them for $7.99 apiece. I figure with the antiseize on them they'll surely come out easier next time, if I haven't sold or (heaven forbid) wrecked the truck by then.

The guy at O'Reilly had heard about the problem and tried to sell me the one-piece plugs instead of the Motorcrafts (Champion? Autolites?). But, they were $21.99 apiece !

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I'm gald I did it myself and this gives me more confidence to try the next "difficult" auto project, whatever that may be.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PSD F150!!!!!!!!!!!! doo it!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Does Brisk now make a plug for this engine? It was just Champion, Autolight, and Bosch. You did well with the Motorcrafts.
Bosch does not make plugs for the 3V - just Motorcraft, Autolite, Champion, and Brisk. The Brisk is a racing plug - it's not platinum, it has a very cold heat range, and it's only good for about 20k. Champion and Brisk are one piece plugs. Everyone is still waiting for NGK to make a 3V plug.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Bosch does not make plugs for the 3V - just Motorcraft, Autolite, Champion, and Brisk. The Brisk is a racing plug - it's not platinum, it has a very cold heat range, and it's only good for about 20k. Champion and Brisk are one piece plugs. Everyone is still waiting for NGK to make a 3V plug.
Ok, thanks. I got the B correct!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Here's an article on the Champion one piece plugs . . .

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog...-plug-ford-3v/

Old 04-15-2010, 01:31 PM
good yob!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The only thing that would make me shy away from the Champions are some reports that indicate they may prematurely foul and misfire. At least they won't be a chore to change again.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Does Brisk now make a plug for this engine? It was just Champion, Autolight, and Bosch. You did well with the Motorcrafts.
the brisk part #is 3vr17ys that is stock heat range.
the 3vr14ys is a colder plug for modified engines.
they are a little more expensive than the motorcrafts i found them for 16.99 each.

on a side note i have only seen pics of the champion plugs but they look to have what could be a weak spot just below the threads. i guess we'll find out after some have been changed.

Last edited by poptop; 04-15-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Great write up. I plan on doing this as soon as the ex-ford mechanic, now long-haul trucker gets back to town. Figure I'll make him do it.

PM me a price for the Liesl and anti-sieze will ya?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Congrats - I started mine and had the dealership finish (although I consider myself an accomplished mechanic) for several reasons. I agree this online community IS THE **** !!! and because of the postings have avoided many headaches and hopefully you leave good info for others (your first post is excellent).

*I tried carb cleaner and it did no good - I don't think it "wicked" down the threads at all - yes I broke the plugs loose about a 1/4 turn first.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by xplodn
Great write up. I plan on doing this as soon as the ex-ford mechanic, now long-haul trucker gets back to town. Figure I'll make him do it.

PM me a price for the Liesl and anti-sieze will ya?
Sorry! I got a pm yesterday from another member on here and he already sent me the money for the tool, through paypal. I'm mailing it out tomorrow and throwing in some of the antiseize as well.

But, I still have > 80% of the antiseize left and wouldn't mind mailing some out to other members for a few bucks apiece (just to cover s/h) .
I'm sending the other member 2-3 big "globs", more than enough to do all 8 plugs and then some.

I'll probably keep a little just in case but when I've done plugs before I just
used the "regular" stuff. I probably won't use this again unless its specifically called for.

Quick Reply: DIY spark plug story w/ a happy ending...