2004 - 2008 F-150

HELP... 2004 Premium Sound Sub Woofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP... 2004 Premium Sound Sub Woofer

Well folks after 6 years or pounding Rock n Roll through that premium sound system, the sub finally went out. Need to replace it and was wondering if anyone had the part number available.

2004 Lariat SuperCrew
Premium Sound Sub Woofer

Old 02-10-2010, 04:45 PM
You can probably get someone here to sell you one. Personally I'd go ahead and upgrade to a real sub. I had the old "premium sound" subwoofer and swapped it out for a JL Stealthbox.... There is a world of difference between the two.

- NCSU

Old 02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to know the answer to this question as well...maybe not replace with a Ford part, but what 8" sub would sound decent in the the OEM box?

As for replacing it with a "real" sub, I have personally been quite satisfied with the Ford sub. It does the job and the bass sounds pretty good to these old ears! I mean the bass is clear with no distortion and hits as hard as I need it to. But if someone wants to GIVE me an aftermarket sub w/ amp, then by all means, PM me!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

An aftermarket 8 inch would not be that expensive. Probably about as cheap as buying OEM from Ford. You just need to measure the factory box to get a rough idea of the cubic inches and then find an 8 inch that fits that.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I yanked my factory sub out of the stock box a stuffed in a Kicker Comp VR 8" DVC 4ohm. The stock sub is a dual voice coil unit, the stock box has only 3.5" mounting depth, I have no idea what the internal volume is. The kicker sub needs 4.25 mounting depth, so I sandwiched a 3/4" MDF spacer ring between the sub and factory box. I ditched the stock amp and I'm now powering the sub with and old kenwood PS-150 (75w RMS x 2) and each channel is driving its own voice coil. It sounds a lot better than the stocker did and it hits pretty hard, it will vibrate the side mirrors and rear view mirror when cranked up.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...r+07CVR84.html

This one will fit the stock box but it is only a single voice coil http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...T+08CVT84.html

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 02-10-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 PM

I tore mine apart when i replaced it. The problem with the stock enclosure is that it is plastic, allowing it to flex and resonate. This greatly reduces sound quality and is one of the many reasons the stock subwoofer sounds like garbage and has very little output. The stock sub has dual 4 ohm voice coils rated for like 50 watts.

But yes I would absolutely replace it with something aftermarket. Build a small box and toss an Image Dynamics 8" or 10" in there with a few hundred watts.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Hearing Aid Stocks will go thru the roof soon...

For what it's worth, I worked around military jet aircraft for over 20 years and though I almost always wore hearing protection, I still suffered low frequency hearing loss. They tested my hearing when I enlisted and over the years it degraded and im certain loud music played a part also since I had more money for watts per channel than common sense.

Sad part about hearing loss is that it is very gradual and permanent...so you turn it up louder and suffer more loss...then you need stronger amps....bigger speakers and over and over until you WILL need hearing aids for normal conversation.

When it's work related, at least you got paid for the permanent damage.

Along with the mp3 players/ipods and headphones...
I predict the hearing aid business will be booming soon...
Im gonna check that stock and invest.
Help me out and play it louder Sam.

My stock sub is plenty loud for my low frequency damaged ears.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Thumbs down

put a pioneer sub in w a new amp they make a thin sub that works good

Quick Reply: HELP... 2004 Premium Sound Sub Woofer