2004 - 2008 F-150

Speakerbox take two.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just took out my back passenger seat and put a sub box in its place. Used the seat bolts to secure it. But I only fit one sub and have a screw. So this may be completely irrelevant.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by Bighahn
Dude just make it the center console or at least in the middle behind the console to make it an extension. Heres what I did...

It looks like this is your best bet by what everyone is saying, I could give you some tips and a write up for it. It only took me a day to build

Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by W.L.B
I just took out my back passenger seat and put a sub box in its place. Used the seat bolts to secure it. But I only fit one sub and have a screw. So this may be completely irrelevant.

that and big hahns method is what i suggested.
Your method could easily be made into a dual sub box.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by heckvr4
i wonder i the SI BM, new shallow mount 12s , sound anywere near a jl audio shallow 13tw5....

would you go with 2 jl audio's?? or 2 SI BM's?? i already have 1 13tw5 , but want a lil more..

sorry for the hijack
The new SI BM has 50% more linear excursion than the JL slim sub, and it outdisplaces the 13tw5. My friend has auditioned both the SI and the JL, and said the BM dominated the JL. And cost half as much.

I have 2 BMs on the way, they should be here late next week.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 AM
It looks like this is your best bet by what everyone is saying, I could give you some tips and a write up for it. It only took me a day to build
dang that is freaking sick good job...

Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM
I would love to do something with the center console. However i decided to do this and i think im going to stick with it. As far as holding it down, it will be secured. we have a few ideas but have not made anything official. keep up the critiquing please.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Bighan's, great looking setup, not too sure how the front would sound, as its firing into the dash, The only reason I would rather have a center instead of a 40/20/40, would miss out on the girl sitting next to me but hey, why not.

I once thought of removing the 20 and building a box for one ( of two )of my dads only 15" kicker subs.

Edit, you had a 40/20/40 looks like?
end edit.

W.L.B

Does the box have to be that big? you could make a smaller box and still have a seat, make the box the seat? would require s little work but takes up no extra space at all.
The sub could fire front ( at engine ) and use a grille for protection?

O.P

I had a grand am I took the back seat out of to put two 15's in, I hated it after a while, I am willing to bet you will too, with that box.
You never know how much you take something for granted until you no longer have it.
I would die if I didn't have room for 4-6 people and room for "other things" in the back.

If you are going to do that you might as well remove the small back seat and put them there, or just remove the back seat completely.

I know how bad a sub box can hurt a car ( 00 mustang ) in a wreck of not secured, it destroyed the back seat completely, and twisted the rear lid where the rear speakers go.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Titan357
W.L.B

Does the box have to be that big? you could make a smaller box and still have a seat, make the box the seat? would require s little work but takes up no extra space at all.
Its housing a JL Audio 12w6v2. It is an extremely deep sub, and the box is built to the reccomended airspace by JL.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I wish there was a place to grab templates from for the center console idea. I would love to have a center console like the above pics but I'm no carpenter, only in my mind.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Its housing a JL Audio 12w6v2. It is an extremely deep sub, and the box is built to the reccomended airspace by JL.
I see.

I remember the 15's I had in my grand am where like 2 cubes of air each, was a massive box.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Titan357
Bighan's, great looking setup, not too sure how the front would sound, as its firing into the dash, The only reason I would rather have a center instead of a 40/20/40, would miss out on the girl sitting next to me but hey, why not.

I once thought of removing the 20 and building a box for one ( of two )of my dads only 15" kicker subs.

Edit, you had a 40/20/40 looks like?
end edit.

W.L.B

O.P

I had a grand am I took the back seat out of to put two 15's in, I hated it after a while, I am willing to bet you will too, with that box.
You never know how much you take something for granted until you no longer have it.
I would die if I didn't have room for 4-6 people and room for "other things" in the back.

If you are going to do that you might as well remove the small back seat and put them there, or just remove the back seat completely.

I know how bad a sub box can hurt a car ( 00 mustang ) in a wreck of not secured, it destroyed the back seat completely, and twisted the rear lid where the rear speakers go.
My front sub i played around with a little bit but i have absolutley no problem with anything rattling and the air space I used for both subs is built for one to hit higher hrtz and one built to hit lower hrtz. I have to tune them both way down because its too much bass for my ears or at least when its cranked!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 PM

My front sub i played around with a little bit but i have absolutley no problem with anything rattling and the air space I used for both subs is built for one to hit higher hrtz and one built to hit lower hrtz. I have to tune them both way down because its too much bass for my ears or at least when its cranked!
pretty sweet, my old grand am was 127-131 DB depening of I took the plexi glass show box out and uncovered the subs.

Same subs, but a 1800D and not a 1200D when I moved to my mustang was gussing 129-133.

Been around a 139.8 before though.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM
My older brother had 4-18's in his old f150. no pics to prove. 154db's. amazing. he says he misses them sometimes, going from 4-18's to two tens.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Bighan, that is well done. The last thing I will ever do to my truck is audio, and that is exactly what I would do.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
The new SI BM has 50% more linear excursion than the JL slim sub, and it outdisplaces the 13tw5. My friend has auditioned both the SI and the JL, and said the BM dominated the JL. And cost half as much.

I have 2 BMs on the way, they should be here late next week.

do you mind telling me were and how much you paid for them??

Quick Reply: Speakerbox take two.