2004 - 2008 F-150

Sparkplug Purgatory...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sparkplug Purgatory...

Service advisor just told me that the 'Rotunda tool wasn't able to re-thread the head for the #7 sparkplug.' Since that's not what it was made for I guess that's why it didn't work! I know he was cornfused and meant whatever tool they use for re-threading, because he told me #7 pulled the threads out with it. Maybe #7 broke too...

AND I just got off the phone with him again letting me know that my '$379 Major Tune' is now $2259.75!!!!!! Because they have to pull the engine to get the head off to re-thread good 'ol #7.

But hey, I'm gonna get a rental! Whoop dee freaking doo......

FOMOCO has earned a TON of ill will with this bogus crap!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear about that. Which dealership?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
That is terrible. That is the first I have heard of threads coming out. Makes me wonder if they damaged them themselves, or maybe used an impact.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Used an impact??? Bluejay you even changed plugs before?? #7 is not really that easy to get to, i would be AMAZED to see an impact wrench fit in there. Why are they pulling the motor?? You can R&R head in the truck. If they need more room, lift the cab, its quicker and aeasier.

I would get a second opinion from another local shop. sounds funky to me

Old 01-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by FoMoCo Fan
Used an impact??? Bluejay you even changed plugs before?? #7 is not really that easy to get to, i would be AMAZED to see an impact wrench fit in there. Why are they pulling the motor?? You can R&R head in the truck. If they need more room, lift the cab, its quicker and aeasier.

Quintin is a tech, says he uses an impact.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by FoMoCo Fan

BTW, I have a butterfly impact and an air rachet that would get in there with no problem.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Why could they have not used a TimeSert?

Trending Topics

Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 PM
I will have to go re-read the TSB and see what power setting they want my impact set on to remove the 3 peice motocraft spark plugs.

Note to everyone: If you ever see a tech changing your plugs with air tools, for god's sake get your truck out of there shop as fast as you can. Diaster waiting to happen.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
txarsoncop, if you have been folowing the spark plug posts here you already red this, but here i go again.
We did A RIGHT HAND head R&I on a '04 3V just a week or two ago. Had 2 broken plugs that mac tools kit could not remove. The customer final bill was in the $1500 Canadian range. Motor stayed in the truck. Unless there is more to the story, you really need to get a second estimate!

Just more incentive for people to try the champions.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Angry

I love how you talk to the 'advisor' I'd much rather talk to the mechanic, but I know those guys are busy... That's the only way you'd ever get the straight intel though.

'Advisor' says R&R the engine to get the head out = standard ops. I didn't know about lifting cab. I should done more boning up on the plug issue before I took the truck in so I'd be more likely to know ALL of the options. Advisor says they're taking it to a 'machine shop' to re-thread it. My uneducated guess is one of the guys in the shop is gonna Timesert the head and slap it back on.

If I was FOMOCO I'd probably require head removal too to try to ensure no further issues caused by shavings in the cylinders and careless/bad day mechanics. Of course, IF I was FOMOCO I WOULD MAKE THIS DESIGN FLAW RIGHT!

Stealership is Jordan Ford in SA, TX and according to what the advisor told me it sounds like they followed the latest TSB.

Last edited by txarsoncop; 01-28-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added stealership info
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like your dealership is a bunch of wahoos. They don't know how to use a simple removal tool which ends up costing you money. I think it's time to arm yourself with the latest TSB, read it and have a discussion with the service manager about his technician's repair techniques.

I still can't figure out how the rotunda tool ripped threads out of the head. You're right your SA is cornfused! lol Maybe he meant to say he ripped the threads out of the electrode sleeve. Even if that's the case there are ways to get the sleeve out.

Last edited by Stealth; 01-28-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
my question is... Why are they charging you for there mistake? You did nothing wrong there mechanic apparently did not follow the TSB to a T so this repair should be on there bill...

Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be raising Holy Hell with them for bumbling your 5.4 3v!!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Also contact the MoCo customer service to let them know of your dilema!
Never have seen the threads come out with the plug yet on these.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Also contact the MoCo customer service to let them know of your dilema!
Never have seen the threads come out with the plug yet on these.
100% agree. That would take some doing. I think as was stated that the problem was mis-worded - it's the sleeve, they can't extract it at this point because they probably terminally peckered it somehow in their bungling, so need to pull the head. Jeezzz.

Did they use an impact tool at the beginning?

Quick Reply: Sparkplug Purgatory...