2004 - 2008 F-150

Sparkplug Purgatory...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So there are no threads below the red circle (I attempted to make) in your picture? I believe that's where they should be, but if I'm wrong someone tell me. I've never actually seen in there without the plug in there.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks. I can't believe there putting you thru this. Sure sounds like a bunch of morons.
Hey, try printing this entire thread out and lettng the service manager read for himself what everyone thinks of his gong show. Best of luck, sounds like your gonna need it.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
So there are no threads below the red circle (I attempted to make) in your picture? I believe that's where they should be, but if I'm wrong someone tell me. I've never actually seen in there without the plug in there.

you are correct

Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
FMC- I have read at LEAST twice before Ford tech's saying take them out with an impact wrench- CORDLESS IMPACT! And I can actually understand why they said it. There is something about the tamer impacting of a rechargeable 3/8 impact that works to your advantage at times. I wouldn't even consider taking plugs out of ANY engine with an air operated impact. Over the years I used the "magic" of a Jiffy panel cutter (extremely controllable) to my advantage in scores of ways the original designers never envisioned. (not removing spark plugs- )
Exactly, a cordless impact. Takes them loose with less force. I've seen it twice, but they still needed hand tools for the back lol.

Now if someone made a Cordless "right angle" Impact (adjustable), that would be the cats ***. IR has a Air Impact ratchet that's accurately adjustable, -I wouldn't be afraid of using that back there.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that sucks.

So wait, I'm trying to understand this. Did you try to take them out first and then take it in....or did you take it straight to them to do?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Wow, that sucks.

So wait, I'm trying to understand this. Did you try to take them out first and then take it in....or did you take it straight to them to do?
Straight to the dealer. With my luck I figured that was the best bet. That sure worked out...

Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by txarsoncop
Straight to the dealer. With my luck I figured that was the best bet. That sure worked out...
I can understand the dealer raising the cost if a small fix turns out to be a bigger underlying issue....but with just a spark plug change it seems to me that they messed this up. How could they charge you for that? I would be raging, man. I feel for you.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I was you I would have a long talk with the service manger using all the good choice words over and over again. I would aslo make the point they screwed up and ask why should you be charged extra for there screw up. Since all you went in there for was a spark plug change. Its there problem they ripped the threads out not yours.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Unhappy The end...

Finally got my truck back last night. Long story short, I lightened my wallet by $800 instead of $2300 they were telling me it was going to be. They rolled the $380 'Major tune-up' into the bill and they applied some 'warranty,' that I still don't totally understand, to bring the total cost to $815. I'm still not happy with it but I'll live with it...

Anyway, here's the blood & guts:

Bad plug, appears to have been cracked for some time...

The whole gang, looks like I've been running rich for a while

And the invoices, first the 'warranty bill' notice the $7 sparkplugs

And my bill, all of a sudden the sparkplugs WERE $27

I still think this is/was a FoMoCo/dealer issue not a 'Bill' issue and that my cost shouldn't have been more than the 'Major tune-up.' I also just can't deal with ineptitude/stupidity/deception without blowing my top and becoming a COMPLETE jackass which 99% of the time gets nothing accomplished... So I bend over, pay my bill and swear to keep my vehicles out of the stealerships service bays.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad you're back up and running. :o

Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So happy for you!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Can't understand, whatever the sevice manual states, after reading the TSB, it specifacally states do NOT use and air or cordless impact for removal, as it totally makes sense not too. You have no idea/feel for what is going on, as far as binding etc when removing them. It also states the removal torque will be about 33 ft-lb, a tad more then the installation torque.In all my years building engines, I have NEVER used, nor would advise using any impact unit for this type of work period!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 PM
+1... Glad you got your rig back. My day of ....... is approaching fast.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FoMoCo Fan
FMC- I have read at LEAST twice before Ford tech's saying take them out with an impact wrench-

The joy of the internet.....You probably can find NUMNEROUS sights telling you how to make woopie with farm animals too, but it doesn't make it right.
please use common sence.
Now look guys, you've got to remember the ever changing TSB for the plug removal was put out by the people who engineered this MASSIVE screw-up in the 1st. place. I didn't see their Mensa IQ rating engraved on any stone tablets, did you? I read about the removal with a cordless impact on FORD TRUCK sites. I didn't make it up and I don't think they did either. You can take 'em out of your truck with tweezers or a crow bar, don't make any difference to me. I still believe I'll try the cordless when It's time to do mine, for the reasons I mentioned in the earlier post. Ain't it grand that we still have that freedom in this country. Probably won't be long before we're being told how we can or can't take 'em out, the way things are going, but for now, use an M-80 or a grenade, I'll try the cordless.

And stay away from those farm animals, that'll get you in more trouble than the spark plugs will!

Last edited by code58; 02-10-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And my bill, all of a sudden the sparkplugs WERE $27

What the heck, they had to make up for that cheap oil and filter change some way didn't they?

Quick Reply: Sparkplug Purgatory...