2004 - 2008 F-150

Gauges shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges shuddering

This morning I went to start the truck. Engine turned over, took about a second longer, but fired right up. I looked down and saw all the needles shuddering, then after about 4-5 seconds they positioned themselves correctly.

I have a gryphon as well, and it came up with a blank blue screen with 0's, then right when I about shut it off, it displayed the numbers but no instantaneous mileage.

I restarted and the gauges shuddered again, but the gryphon popped to life right away and was displaying correctly.

After doing some searching, this shuddering is making me think the battery is getting weak. The gryphon turns off correctly so I don't think it is draining the battery that much as I've had it for a couple of months.

Thoughts? When I get a chance, I'm going to see if the cells need to be filled, because I don't think it's THAT old of a battery. But no biggie if I have to replace it.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Usually when the gauges start shuddering, it's a low voltage situation. Chances are high your battery is not long for this world. Servicing the battery can't hurt, but you run the risk of it not doing the job and leaving you in a bind somewhere. It's been my experience that once a battery gets to the point yours seems to be, it's almost impossible to bring them back. Of course the alternator could be responsible for not properly charging the battery, so it might be a good idea to get a volt meter and test the alternator output.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Gauges fluctuating and Gryphon display acting up is first sign of battery problems.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Dumb question, but where is the best place to attach a voltmeter on the alternator? Not the most electrical inclined, besides black = negative and red = positive for jumper cables. About all I care to know cause I hate the stuff =P

Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Global Moderator &

You said you have a Gryphon, use the setting in the gauges to check it. It's something I monitor constantly.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Good call, didn't think to set that call out. I took a quick peek at the battery while at work. Some decent corrosion buildup on the positive lead.

Any idea on how the battery cover comes off? I haven't had time to check the manual and google isn't coming up with the easiest answer. Sure I can figure it out when I get off work, but would save me some time if anyone knows off hand. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Quick update. Truck had a hard start when I left for lunch and needles shuddered again. Got home and let it Idle while I took care of getting lunch etc. Pulled the tools out, shut the truck off, popped the cover off and see the cells are about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Topped them all off and cleaned all the corrosion on the positive lead and reassembled the unit.

Truck started up like normal and no needle shudder. Let it idle while I finished eating and got back to work. Parked it and restarted the truck and it ran like a champ. Think I should be good, but i'll keep an eye on it.

Bluejay I put the voltage readout like you suggested on display and it was reading normal. My guess is the alternator is doing its job.

Battery is an May 2008 and an interstate Meg-thron II.

On a side note, I still had my gryphon plugged in when I disconnected the battery. It was saying no ECM found when I reconnected everything. Hit enter and it shut off. Put the truck into the on position and let the unit load and everything popped up like normal and was still on lvl 2 (I have an AEM CAI installed). I didn't feel any sluggishness or loss of power but just for the future would it be better to unhook the tuner prior to disconnecting the battery? Just want to make sure I didn't do anything bad, probably should of read the manual first =/.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Gunmetal06
Quick update. Truck had a hard start when I left for lunch and needles shuddered again. Got home and let it Idle while I took care of getting lunch etc. Pulled the tools out, shut the truck off, popped the cover off and see the cells are about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Topped them all off and cleaned all the corrosion on the positive lead and reassembled the unit.

Truck started up like normal and no needle shudder. Let it idle while I finished eating and got back to work. Parked it and restarted the truck and it ran like a champ. Think I should be good, but i'll keep an eye on it.

Bluejay I put the voltage readout like you suggested on display and it was reading normal. My guess is the alternator is doing its job.

Battery is an May 2008 and an interstate Meg-thron II.

On a side note, I still had my gryphon plugged in when I disconnected the battery. It was saying no ECM found when I reconnected everything. Hit enter and it shut off. Put the truck into the on position and let the unit load and everything popped up like normal and was still on lvl 2 (I have an AEM CAI installed). I didn't feel any sluggishness or loss of power but just for the future would it be better to unhook the tuner prior to disconnecting the battery? Just want to make sure I didn't do anything bad, probably should of read the manual first =/.
Really not necessary, it's just a monitor. A screen. You reset it by unplugging and plugging back in with the key on.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Ok good to know. I snuck a quick peek in of the manual from the PHP site. But just good to know for sure. Thanks Bluejay.

Quick Reply: Gauges shuddering