2004 - 2008 F-150

2006 Fx4 Engine Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcorneli
Have put on around 600miles since I have cleaned the throttle body. Engine has not cut out or went into failsafe since it was cleaned. It looks like it has solved my problem.
I am now at 2400 miles since I have cleaned the throttle body. I removed the filter assembly, on my 06 there are 5 bolts and the plastic assembly comes right off. I did not remove the throttle body, just sprayed some throttle body cleaner into the throttle body. Let it set for a couple of minutes then sprayed it again and rubbed my finger around the sides of the body. then sprayed it down again. It ran like crap for about 2 miles and has not had a problem since. There was a lot of sludge in the throttle body so you may want to use a small brush or lint free cloth. Someone will have to step on the gas peddle while you are doing this to fully open the valve. (key on motor not running)

Last edited by rcorneli; 02-01-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Cutt off new to me!

I've read various articles on how to approach this issue. This happened to me just three days ago. Now, being that this truck has an electronic throttle I can't blame it for acting speratic at times. Just in the past maybe 1.5 years, when having to brake really fast and then trying to accelerate to make up for the loss of slowing down in heavy traffic and trying not to hit anyone and the computer has to calculate what to do...the truck has been great! But again, the electronic throttle has always worried me.

When this 2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Lariat was purchased, this was one of the first things I noticed; "An electronic pedal???" But I understand it was what Ford built and hey, I'm not complaining.

But I myself have gone through this same problem (and others) here lately. My truck currently has 168,0xx miles on it and this is pretty much the very first problem I've had. Well now I have had the climate control issue, but thank goodness for all of those Nintendo Cartridges that I had to clean, because it was all i usedto repair them.

Yep the first time my temperture control went out, it would blink while totally blacked out. After reading a few articles on the www, I simply took it out (unsnapped a few panels; unplugged the unit) and blew it out with compressed air. I heard a piece of something (maybe sauter) roll out and hooked everything back up. Wammo it worked.

I ran into this very same problem just a few weeks ago. This time the exiting air was speratic; it would blow normal then high then normal again @ room to warm temperature. And with ignition turned on, I can here something electrical (maybe like a door or lever of some kind) opening and closing. Took the unit out, blew it out, installed and again it's working. THANK GOD!

So now I have this issue with the truck cutting off at one of the lowest downshifting rpm points. I have yet to purchase some throttle body cleaner and use it. Since this seems to be the simplest of all solutions, and I currently dot have 800+ dollars to spend on a tune up etc (no offense) I'll try it first and hope for the best.

Beside this issue, this has been ONE OF THE BEST TRUCKS (VEHICLES) I HAVE EVER HAD THE PLESSURE OF DRIVING! I mean no I can't beat 5.6 Titan off the line or top end, a SS Silverado, A Toyota FJ, A New Dodge Ram Big Horn (390hp), and a host of others. But one thing I can say, this has been an outstanding truck! To go this long without tune ups or anything of any kind has been remarkable. And being my first Ford...lol; imagine that.

R.I.P. Carrol Shelby

Last edited by MrBrowz; 05-13-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:11 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
168k? Have you ever changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM
@ glc again...I deliver for a living (no pun intended but ladies inbox me with your number lol) and Im frequently at dealerships. One Ford dealer told me that in his experience...if it ain't broke, don't worry about it. Not that I just haven't, but money has been really tight and I haven't been able to get these things done. I know about changing the plugs out before 100K miles due to they may lock into tthe block from the heat and cooling stresses of the engine; or snap upon extracting while changing. But again...I haven't had any problems with the performance of the truck. I mean the damn 5.4 just walks when you want it to. But that govenor is just a thrill killer. But I would rather have reliability allday long. I just know that if things were different, 130 would be so possible (or maybe not due to the rear end ratio? Am I right on that?) but again, I'd rather have durability.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Yes or no - have you ever changed them?

Plugs - every 60k

Fuel filter - every 30k

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a corroded FPDM. That's going to leave you stranded.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM
For some odd reason my reply didnt post. But to answer your question glc, no I haven't changed the plugs or fuel filter.
Let me explain, the truck was purchased in early 2004, everything was going well and BAM...career change. So after the dust settled and I looked up, the truck had an *** of miles and I had no money to do regular maintenence; I did good finding an oil change place that changed my oil without even charging me extra for the higher capacity that I had.

So NOW I HAD TO RELY on the "BUILT FORD TOUGH" slogan that has carried the company for so many years! Well, even after being late a few times a releasing every horse I had to get to my long awaited job that I had finally found, the truck still held up like I don't even drive it. This vehicle has been a real blessing like you wouldn't believe.

...now that I think about it, I did have one issue when first bought. The gear shift unit. The original unit would lock up and I got sick and tired of lifting the console to press that little white button to release it so that I can shift into gear to drive. But after talking to the dealership and seeing that it was a recall, the unit was replaced and no more problems.

Now granted I have yet to even change the fuel filter on this truck. But now that I am getting a bit more stable in finances, I will try to do these things. But this truck is my main mode of transpo and having it in a shop right now will just hurt me. I have an old school that recently went down also due to a rear main seal (that's now fixed) and NOW a faulty 2 barrel. So til that gets fixed, I have to use the truck. But will send it to the shop asap so that EVERYTHING can get maintained. So you okay now glc? Again, 168,0xx miles and no problems has been nothing but being in the need for it. I am truly proud to own this Ford truck and will support them...hopefully I won't have to buy another but I sure do like that Velociraptor...smh. I mean all that horsepower and can still move tires that freakin big?!?! 265/70R18's I believe...these things are heavy just pickin'em up let alone gassin it and movin all four!

Now I do know about the plugs snapping, extra money for the labor to drill them out, the new replacement plugs that have a pre-snap feature and all of that jazz...but again, til I get the bread up to do it...why mess with it? The truck runs damn fine and with asking various dealerships that I frequent, I'm not the only person. They have numerous trucks (F-150's; different trims) that come in and have WELL over 100,000 miles and are just coming in for small maintenence.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Okay here are some pics of the intake on the 5.4. It gives a very nice sound in third @ 3200rpm and whenever you get on it. Been looking forever for someone that can custom build a housing for the twin fliters so that they won't be open in the cabin. But other than that...havent had one problem (besides this having to clean the throttle body).

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/32449957@N08/7199133404/in/photostream/] [img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/32449957@N08/7199133224/in/photostream/] [img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/32449957@N08/7199133590/in/photostream/] [img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/32449957@N08/7199133048/in/photostream/] [img]

Last edited by MrBrowz; 05-14-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Fx4 Engine Cutting Out