2004 - 2008 F-150

SYNC in a 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYNC in a 2008?

Looking to see if anyone else is working this angle or has already completed it? I am interested in putting a SYNC system into my 2008 F150. Yes, I know they do not make them for it and yes I know it will likely be a pain to do, but I am still looking to see if it is even possible. Heck, I know some basics since I installed a 2009 camera system into my 2008 (including a SYNC-style mirror with the mic). Anyways, anyone been there, done that, or otherwise interested?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by fillibar
Looking to see if anyone else is working this angle or has already completed it? I am interested in putting a SYNC system into my 2008 F150. Yes, I know they do not make them for it and yes I know it will likely be a pain to do, but I am still looking to see if it is even possible. Heck, I know some basics since I installed a 2009 camera system into my 2008 (including a SYNC-style mirror with the mic). Anyways, anyone been there, done that, or otherwise interested?

I put a Pioneer Avic D3 with a BTB-200 with IPod cable in mine. Works just as good. And yes, It is voice activated but the IPod.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I was wondering why more people never talked about this as well.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 PM

What functions are you wanting, I have worked with F-150 with and with out sync, it will be a lot of work, some of the sync systems I have seen interface with the trucks PCM, so that may need to be changed out or a wiring adapter.

The cd player is not the same, and needs to be changed, and some function buttons only come on the wheel I think.

If you are wanting a hands free car kit for a phone there are cheaper options that are just as good, I know I install them every day., my 06 F150 has a car kit I put in my self, it comes in through the trucks factory speakers, but has a external mic, that you will also need to install for that sync.

So far as I know you will need the following,
the whole sync kit, cd player maybe a new steering wheel, a wiring harness and maybe more, then all the wiring.

Good luck though, if you so it I would like to know how you did it.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I know that my girlfriends' 08 Focus came with SYNC and I thought that some 08 F-150's came with it as well but I could be mistaken

Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by pmason718
I know that my girlfriends' 08 Focus came with SYNC and I thought that some 08 F-150's came with it as well but I could be mistaken

all the sync F-150s I have seen have been lariat, mid/late 08 and newer, so no you are not mistaken.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:33 PM
maybe someone can gather some info for him as far as part numbers go on the 08 Sync System unless he wants the taking Navi (or what ever they call it) assist then he would need one of the newer sync systems (09 n up)

Old 11-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I did not even think it was possible to have an 08 f150 of any type with Sync. When I contacted a couple dealers, a Ford rep, AND a Sync support person they all said 2009+... In any case interesting... I know there may be other methods to do many of the features (I have seen that newer versions of it have even more features) so detailing exactly what I want would be a good idea. Who knows... A carpc may be of more value in the long run. Looks like I need to take another look at the feature set.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Ok... Features list:
Turn by Turn Navigation, News/Sports/Weather, Vehicle Health, USB Music devices, Music Search... Obviously these are all by voice. The bluetooth functions are not as needed because I can hook my phone in for that although they could be nice in the future once I have wireless charging set also.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:26 AM
2008 F-150 sync

I have a 08 not sure if it has sync but on the cd player there is a phone button and a microphone under my rearview mirror haven't quite figured it out yet. Just need to go to a ford service department I guess.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeld
I have a 08 not sure if it has sync but on the cd player there is a phone button and a microphone under my rearview mirror haven't quite figured it out yet. Just need to go to a ford service department I guess.
Welcome to the forum. This thread is pretty old, so I doubt there's much need for the reply at this point. However, you don't have SYNC in your truck, it was only available in 09+. The phone button does nothing on your truck unless you have the optional "Mobile Ease" package installed which added the bluetooth phone capability. It had an additional control pad mounted and tied into the NAV unit.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Welcome to the forum. This thread is pretty old, so I doubt there's much need for the reply at this point. However, you don't have SYNC in your truck, it was only available in 09+. The phone button does nothing on your truck unless you have the optional "Mobile Ease" package installed which added the bluetooth phone capability. It had an additional control pad mounted and tied into the NAV unit.
I know this is an old thread but there are a LOT of these trucks still on the road and a real use case for plug and play installation.

I can confirm "Ford Sync accessory kit" part number 9R3Z14D212A designed forc2009 Mustang works with Ford/Lincoln MP3 radios for 2008 F150 and Lincokn Mark LT beginning with 8L3T.

CAN wiring colors on the OBD2 plug matched the ford instructions available from the dealer for installing the kit in a 2009 Ford Mustang exactly.

There are just a few caveats:
- the mic only reaches if you route tauntly from mirror bottom across windshield under A pillar out to pillar seal and straight across the bottom of the dash with the APIM installed at the base of the center console
- APIM accessory power can splice directly into radio power on the patch harness
- subwoofer lead for the radio must be separated from the factory radio plugs and grouped with the sync harness
- factor radio leads must be fed so they rest under where the radio will go connected to the sync kit harness
- the sync voice/phone/ok fob does not work without radio programming
- OK and phone buttons and menus on the radio work and allow for required navigation of menus for use
- USB input works as expected
- Bluetooth for phone and audio work exactly as expected
- sound quality for audio and phone are as expected
- 911 services and vehicle health through syncmyride are not available for activation
- automatic from automatic.com functions fully in a sync equipped truck and replaces the 911 and vehicle health features fully-- plus some

All of this was confirmed in my personal 2008 Lincoln MarkLT

Future mods planned include installation of a 8L3T-18K931-XX pioneer nav head unit. I will update the forum after the radio is bought, programmed, and installed.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:05 AM
I forgot to mention that the 8L2T 6disc MP3 radio from a mercury mountaineer that had factory sync also worked in this use case. I thought a radio from a truck with sync was going to manditory turns out the MarkLT radio has sync interface enabled in the factory programming. Tells us a bit about the chaos going on at Ford in 2008! With the Mountaineer radio the backlight dimmer and the forward skip button on the wheel didn't work. Everything else was the same.

Last edited by erratic50; 04-12-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 AM
I sourced my sync kit from a poorly listed auction on EBay. The going rate for them is $500, mine could only be found by searching the descriptions for the exact part number as it appears on the kit from Ford. When the auction ended I was the only bidder and got it for the starting price or $155.00

Having Sync in another one of my trucks - priceless!

Pictures coming as soon as that post gets approved.

Last edited by erratic50; 04-12-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 AM

Ignore the text. Good diagram of which pins I found have the CAN bus on them.

Here's the appearance of the final install - notice the radio is streaming media over Bluetooth. This is coming from my iPhone 6S on iOS 9.2.1. The fob currently does not work and is just for looks.<br/>

Mic sticks to the bottom of the mirror nicely and looks factory

No need to drill for the usb jack. String it under the side of the console and out the back like this instead

Find sync and enter the code shown on the radio and life is good!

Leave yourself a little extra cord or the fob does this when the trim gets put back into place. I've since fixed it so it's straight.

Bluetooth audio, hell ya!

Good place for the APIM

Quick Reply: SYNC in a 2008?