2004 - 2008 F-150

Who else has the rust/fuel door issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who else has the rust/fuel door issue?

My 05 has 82,000 miles and RUST by the fuel door. It is not visible from the outside with the fuel door open, but it is still rusting because of the stupidly designed loose fuel filler neck.

Who else has this issue and have you done anything about it yet?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pics?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Fuel Door Rust

Nope - none on either of my trucks

Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I've got it. I haven't done anything with it. I guess when I get the time I'll try to do something to fix it. My 40 days of leave starts Tuesday so maybe by Christmas I will have done something about it. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 PM
mine got too bad and was visible with the door closed so i made a fuel door cover for it and painted it black

Old 11-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I plan on taking the truck to a body shop soon and getting an estimate before the winter salty roads make it any worse.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Ok, you think you got it bad, listen to my story, lol!

Bought the truck 3 years or so ago used. Paint was chipped on the bottom below the fuel cap. Dealer touched it up looked new again.

6 or more months went by. Paint a good 2" by 1" literally could be wiped off with your finger and was bubbled up bad, dealer fixed again, looked new again.

another year or so same thing only paint now coming off starting down the bed (spot got worse).

Another year went by, did it again. I let it stay this time and said screw it. But it rusted from the salt that winter and looked like poop so I had to do something.
Dealer took it back no questions asked.. was not in warrenty btw and was bought from a chevy dealer. They sent it to a local body shop on thier dime. Two weeks later got my truck back with a new paint job for the entire drivers side from the door back. Now the dealer was expecting the body shop to just fix the spot, well the only way to fix it was to paint the whole side of the truck or it just wouldn't hold. So the body shop did just that, much to the surprise of the dealer, lol!! (I was happy as hell) Dealers bill was close to 2,000. I paid nothing, lol! That was this past march I believe. it would be fine in summer and then when it got cold the paint would just flake off, wish me luck this year, lol!
Basically I'm saying it cant be fixed permanently unless the whole bedside is redone. I'm sure a good 1500+, mine was free so far.. but still a pain in my azz for the whole three years I've had this truck. I still don't know what caused it. This picture is how it began, it got alot worse every time.
[IMG][/IMG]

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
lucky you man. im pretty sure this is common.

one good thing about florida, no salt, no rust.

edit: i said common, i meant this has happen to more than just a handful of people. not common, but not completely rare.

Last edited by gcart; 11-17-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by gcart
lucky you man. im pretty sure this is common.

one good thing about florida, no salt, no rust.

edit: i said common, i meant this has happen to more than just a handful of people. not common, but not completely rare.
I've never seen another person complain about this besides me until now. I'd still like to know what causes it..

Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing salt on the roads...

No trouble here with it...

Old 11-17-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I bet it is people not paying attention and gas pump hitting the nozzle on the truck. Iron is unstable and one of the reason paint is used is to prevent corrosion. Take that paint away and iron wants to lower itself to its most stable state... rust (when agitated by salt for example).

Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I bet it is people not paying attention and gas pump hitting the nozzle on the truck. Iron is unstable and one of the reason paint is used is to prevent corrosion. Take that paint away and iron wants to lower itself to its most stable state... rust (when agitated by salt for example).
That makes alot of sense, and was my first thought.. but in my trucks case at least I know for a fact thats not the issue. The paint bubbled all the way around the fill neck, except the very top, every time it was fixed. Plus I am **** about carefully putting the nozzle in and out, never hit the paint ever, and I never ever have a spill of gas either I always let it drip dry before removing. The previous owner who bought my truck new said he was the same way and that the truck did this randomly after it was one year old, right in the beginning of spring. Always did the same to me, right in the beginning of spring. Also the body shop said even if it that was the problem and we were spilling gas on sloppy fill ups, then ford builds a ****ty product to start that after 1 year old and continue, to which I'd have to agree. The picture is after I finally chipped the bubbled paint off the truck the first time like 3 years ago. There was not a nick in the paint at all, had never been hit with anything. Also there was no primer at all under the red paint, just bare metal, which says to me ford skips some steps in the paint booth. The paint literally raised up above the metal and would just start to crack and chip away in chunks after that. Did it every spring. We will see what happens this year after the full paint job.. it actually finally left my mind at ease till this thread appeared, lol!

Last edited by Maxout05; 11-18-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by Maxout05
I've never seen another person complain about this besides me until now. I'd still like to know what causes it..

i understand that. but if you search the web you will find more people that have had this issue. i have read about it either on this website for another. its out there, just search.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 AM
have it painted, pull the neck out, caulk or rtv it, put it back in, no more rattle, no more rust. Locally a painting a bedside on my friends 00 f150 only cost 400 bucks....

Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxout05
Ok, you think you got it bad, listen to my story, lol!

Bought the truck 3 years or so ago used. Paint was chipped on the bottom below the fuel cap. Dealer touched it up looked new again.

6 or more months went by. Paint a good 2" by 1" literally could be wiped off with your finger and was bubbled up bad, dealer fixed again, looked new again.

another year or so same thing only paint now coming off starting down the bed (spot got worse).

Another year went by, did it again. I let it stay this time and said screw it. But it rusted from the salt that winter and looked like poop so I had to do something.
Dealer took it back no questions asked.. was not in warrenty btw and was bought from a chevy dealer. They sent it to a local body shop on thier dime. Two weeks later got my truck back with a new paint job for the entire drivers side from the door back. Now the dealer was expecting the body shop to just fix the spot, well the only way to fix it was to paint the whole side of the truck or it just wouldn't hold. So the body shop did just that, much to the surprise of the dealer, lol!! (I was happy as hell) Dealers bill was close to 2,000. I paid nothing, lol! That was this past march I believe. it would be fine in summer and then when it got cold the paint would just flake off, wish me luck this year, lol!
Basically I'm saying it cant be fixed permanently unless the whole bedside is redone. I'm sure a good 1500+, mine was free so far.. but still a pain in my azz for the whole three years I've had this truck. I still don't know what caused it.
In your case, it sounds like metal contamination, like maybe acid and the paint won't stick for very long.

Quick Reply: Who else has the rust/fuel door issue?