2004 - 2008 F-150

Underdrive Pulleys???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand what you are saying for the horsepower to weight ratio.....won't feel them as much (or at all) in a heavy truck vs a lighter car. However, the fact still remains that UDP's "free up" horsepower and to those have the $200 to spend on a new set, and want to bolt on a couple of easy ponies, appear be happy ;-) All I know is I'll be adding the UDP's to my list of bolt-on's.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
No, the truck with the LIGHTER driver will be faster.

And when it comes down to UDP as the only difference between two like vehicles, and said vehicles are massive TRUCKs, other factors would make MORE of a diff in determining the "faster" of the two.

Things as trivial as how much fuel is in the tank, who is the fatter driver, who has quicker reaction time, who has better 60ft times.....those would make more of a diff than UDP.
If that's the case then lets compare a 450rwhp truck to a stock truck on slicks... The 450rwhp truck cuts a 2.9 60' time and burns the tires all the way down the track, as the Stock truck on slicks cuts a 1.8 and gets a faster time.

I guess that guy with the 450rwhp truck wasted lots of money

What do you do AFTER a tuner, cold air intake, full exhaust, electric fans, gears, lighter wheels, indexed plugs, etc. etc...

You get the UD pulleys... It's just one of the steps for maximum bolt on HP...

I don't care if it's only 5rwhp, it's still 5 more rwhp then you will potentially have...

<---plenty of race experience and I'm an Engineer too!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
ok here is my real world application

Get out of here with that Nonsense!

Don't you know RMS8's .060 over stock block stroked 302 with a vortech would show that truck up any day of the week. I bet that mustang II is making so much power with that vortech it hasn't even split the block yet

Old 11-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Get out of here with that Nonsense!

Don't you know RMS8's .060 over stock block stroked 302 with a vortech would show that truck up any day of the week. I bet that mustang II is making so much power with that vortech it hasn't even split the block yet
damnit what was i thinking i forgot i actually dont know ****

Old 11-11-2009, 06:20 PM
a faster revving engine isn't delusional

Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 PM
eh1
it's a shame the pissing matches we have to get into and I will contribute. I think neurotoxin at least is not being swayed by someone's issues with UDP's and refusing to admit they have a place and that he is wrong. A lot of helpful posts on here though.
My experience is that it did rev easier on my truck and the truck did feel lighter. I was happy with the mod and the dealership likely won't give me any trouble with warranty issues. You add up all these little bolt ons and that is when you can really tell. $200 for 5-10 horsepower in this day and age is not bad. Even if it is bad, it is easy to do with little consequence and it can't hurt mileage either. Some people after getting the air intake, chip, exhaust, e-fans, etc. want something more and they don't want to tear into the motor. All of those are reasons as to why they continue to sell and not just to the suckers.

I'll be waiting for another brilliant response from rms8.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL

Thanks for checking out my ride !

We bandaided the tune to 540RWHP @ 6000RPM to keep that stock block in check. All that on 7lbs of boost. YUP, Seven. Simply swapping my parts over to my Dart IE will allow us to dial it in at around 700RWHP. That will be good for mid 9's on E85. Not bad for a street car.

Thanks for playing tho

PS: it's 0.045 over BTW, not 0.060.......You really should read the bottom of my web page or have someone read it for you.

Last edited by rms8; 11-12-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
LOL

Thanks for checking out my ride !

We bandaided the tune to 540RWHP @ 6000RPM to keep that stock block in check. All that on 7lbs of boost. YUP, Seven. Simply swapping my parts over to my Dart IE will allow us to dial it in at around 700RWHP. That will be good for mid 9's on E85. Not bad for a street car.

Thanks for playing tho
wow 540rwhp 7lbs of boost good for you.....

I have been doing that for years now... Why are you even messing with a 302 based motor? Anyone with such a race engineering background as yourself should have already bumped up to a big cubed windsor(408+) and be doing 600+rwhp on 6lbs of boost

Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
wow 540rwhp 7lbs of boost good for you.....

I have been doing that for years now... Why are you even messing with a 302 based motor? Anyone with such a race engineering background as yourself should have already bumped up to a big cubed windsor(408+) and be doing 600+rwhp on 6lbs of boost
Hmmm, maybe you missed the part where I said it made 540RWHP (well over 600HP at the flywheel) DETUNED ????

* 7lbs boost
* RPM capped at 6000 due to OEM block
* AFR @ WOT is 11:1
* Total advance kept to 19degrees

So, SIMPLY by moving my parts over to the DART IE and tuning it for max HP, it will easily put down over 700 to the tires!

And just for you information, all the guys running around with small blocks making my HP#s are doing so on a LOT more boost

AS to your ignorant comment questioning my engine choice....I built this 347 while you were just barley in High School. Back then there was really no such thing as a stroked 302.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Hmmm, maybe you missed the part where I said it made 540RWHP (well over 600HP at the flywheel) DETUNED ????

* 7lbs boost
* RPM capped at 6000 due to OEM block
* AFR @ WOT is 11:1
* Total advance kept to 19degrees

So, SIMPLY by moving my parts over to the DART IE and tuning it for max HP, it will easily put down over 700 to the tires!

And just for you information, all the guys running around with small blocks making my HP#s are doing so on a LOT more boost

AS to your ignorant comment questioning my engine choice....I built this 347 while you were just barley in High School. Back then there was really no such thing as a stroked 302.
back then back then... big whoop old timer

I was doing 480rwhp pump gas untuned on 10lbs of boost with a BONE STOCK shortblock with a bone stock factory cam through cat/magnaflow mufflers...

700rwhp is chump change, unless you are cranking 1,000hp just stay on the porch...

Once again I state, why waste time and money with a dart block "350" and sell that small junk you have and go with bigger cubes 408+...

I've had a dart block 363 btw I sold last year(nearly 2 years now that I think about it)... So don't act like you are the only one that has gone through this rodeo before..

I have a 408 I need to finish putting together in my 92 coupe that should be knocking on that 1000rwhp door, just don't think my roller c4 clutches are going to like it to well.. I just don't care to work on it now that I have the viper... Really i want to sell all my mustang stuff(including my worked over trickflow top end, vortech supercharged 302 84 GT-350, my 92 coupe that I previously stated, and my 79 pace car with a nitrous fed 460) and build a 522 stroker motor and slap twins on it.

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 11-12-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM
back then back then... big whoop old timer

I was doing 480rwhp pump gas untuned on 10lbs of boost with a BONE STOCK shortblock with a bone stock factory cam through cat/magnaflow mufflers...

700rwhp is chump change, unless you are cranking 1,000hp just stay on the porch...

Once again I state, why waste time and money with a dart block "350" and sell that small junk you have and go with bigger cubes 408+...

I've had a dart block 363 btw I sold last year(nearly 2 years now that I think about it)... So don't like you are the only one that has gone through this rodeo before..

I have a 408 I to finish putting together in my 92 coupe that should be knocking on that 1000rwhp door, just don't think my roller c4 clutches are going to like it to well..

LOL

You have absolutely no filter do ya. You didn't even have a drivers lic in 1994, and you expect anyone to believe you built a 480hp motor back then. Revisit my web page and read the part where my chump change motor put down 400RWHP NA. Get a life.

Those fox bodies are a dime a dozen. See one at EVERY single stop light. Not a dang thing you can do but join the crowd with that one.

This thread was about UDP's, not about your jealous path of slamming my one of a kind award winning II. Oh well there may still be hope.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Drdudsads
I installed underdrive pulleys! Haha noticed a 1mpg gain after 3 tanks also seems to rev faster and smoother. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 PM
LOL

You have absolutely no filter do ya. You didn't even have a drivers lic in 1994, and you expect anyone to believe you built a 480hp motor back then. Revisit my web page and read the part where my chump change motor put down 400RWHP NA. Get a life.

Those fox bodies are a dime a dozen. See one at EVERY single stop light. Not a dang thing you can do but join the crowd with that one.

This thread was about UDP's, not about your jealous path of slamming my one of a kind award winning II. Oh well there may still be hope.
Wow you did it before me..big whoop? I don't see your point?

The fact is I have done your combo before, not just, "I will buy a dart and put my internals in and make 700rwhp" I HAVE DONE IT.

So get out of here... You were wrong about the UDP's and you are trying to discredit two individuals which one has worked on and raced actual RACE trucks, and another who has already done, sold, and suppressed stuff you are still talking about doing in the future(way back in 2006).... But you did "it" back in 1994 oh wow golly....

yes i know fox's are dime a dozen, still better looking then a Mustang II

**Disclaimer-Your II is pretty fly, I'm just hating on you **

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 11-12-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Poo-yie, don't want to get involved in this debate, but just wanted to add my experience. I have had underdrive pulleys on a previous vehicle and they do free up some horsepower, but they really reduced the efficiency of my air conditioning at idle. It wasn't bad when you started moving, but in heavy traffic on a hot day, it would get warm. I'm not sure if it had more to do with the lack of air flow through the condenser or the slower speed of the compressor. I ended up removing them. E-fans would probably help the condenser issue. Just something else to consider.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 AM
?

Why anyone would be foolish enough to dump over $200 in UDP's is beyond reason. The only logical explanation is they know little to zero about mechanics/engines/performance.

For just a bit more you can actually get an Edge tuner.
foolish is decorating an american made car with imports posing on it,where's the logic in that?

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulleys???