2004 - 2008 F-150

Help me Diagnose?? Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me Diagnose?? Please!

Hello there. 04 FX4. I have been reading for a few days ago about a recent problem that has started (well actually it started about a month ago). My drivers side window sometimes does not go up. It goes down EVERY TIME as soon as I push the button, but does not always go back up. Sometimes I have to push the button 4, 5, 6, 10 times before it will start to go up.

What are the major fail spots in these truck window designs? I have seen the 1000 threads on the regulators, but I am starting to not think its a regulator, maybe a switch?

Any and all info, thoughts, best wishes appreciated!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's one or the other. I'd say it's more likely the regulator, but if you want to change the switch to find out, have at it. You're only out the cost of a switch, if that's not it. The way to determine would be to take the door panel off and see if the regulator is getting current when you key the switch. If you're regulator is getting voltage, it's the regulator. If you not seeing current to the regulator when you hit the switch, then it likely is the switch. I've been through this a few times with other Fords I've owned. It was always the regulator.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

There is a thread in here someplace on cleaning the contact points on the switches. Sometimes this causes the problem you describe.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my driver's door did the exact same thing and I got a new switch given to me under warranty. If it were the window regulator the window would be very slow and weakly going down before it didnt have the jam to go up. If you have a buddy w/ the same truck you could try using their switch to test yours.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by City of Champs
my driver's door did the exact same thing and I got a new switch given to me under warranty. If it were the window regulator the window would be very slow and weakly going down before it didnt have the jam to go up. If you have a buddy w/ the same truck you could try using their switch to test yours.
That is exactly why I was thinking that it is NOT the regulator (at least I am hoping). I am going to try and find the thread about cleaning the contacts and try that first. Then replace the switch. All else fails, the regulator is getting replaced...

Thanks everyone. hopefully the switch is it!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 PM
im saying switch. Had the same thing happen to me

Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
switch, has happened to me on 3 doors, I think being from a junkyard the switches got corroded on the contacts, i sanded them with emmery paper and theyre golden

Quick Reply: Help me Diagnose?? Please!