2004 - 2008 F-150

Enginge went to idle and would not go

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enginge went to idle and would not go

Ok, so I'm driving home with the cruise on and after I had to hit the brakes, the engine went to idle and would not rev up and go. The check engine light went on and I coasted to a stop.
The engine was idling rough and would not rev up. I shut the engine off and it spun over several times before it started back up. The check engine light did not come on and it went into gear and ran like it did before.
The truck has 102,000 miles on it and has had the transmission serviced earlier this year and I've probably put 10,00 on it since the service with no problems.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what would cause this? It seems ok now but I'm really not sure.
The truck is a 2005 F-150 Screw 4X2 5.4 auto

Sorry, I hit the 0 too many times. It has 102,000 on it. The engine runs good, it just seemed like it maybe the throttle position sensor or something went bad.
Just need any suggestions as to what it actually might be.

Last edited by Old legend; 09-20-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: wrong mileage
Old 09-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should just be thankful your truck has gone over a million miles already and is still running, I wouldnt complaing so much

jk... but ive had this happen before.. I have a xcal2 with custom tunes so i bumped the idle up but i still lose power when i put into park, i will bump the idle up to 800, its at 700 now.

replace fuel filter, run a cleaner, spark plugs if you havent changed them, o2 sensors... use good quality gas

Old 09-20-2009, 03:07 AM
Originally Posted by Old legend
Ok, so I'm driving home with the cruise on and after I had to hit the brakes, the engine went to idle and would not rev up and go. The check engine light went on and I coasted to a stop.
The engine was idling rough and would not rev up. I shut the engine off and it spun over several times before it started back up. The check engine light did not come on and it went into gear and ran like it did before.
The truck has 102,000 miles on it and has had the transmission serviced earlier this year and I've probably put 10,00 on it since the service with no problems.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what would cause this? It seems ok now but I'm really not sure.
The truck is a 2005 F-150 Screw 4X2 5.4 auto

Sorry, I hit the 0 too many times. It has 102,000 on it. The engine runs good, it just seemed like it maybe the throttle position sensor or something went bad.
Just need any suggestions as to what it actually might be.
Sounds like a bad potentiometer (throttle), throttle body servo motor or PCM glitch. Really hard to tell, but my 1st guess would be PCM glitch. I do have 1 suggestion- electronic gremlins are such a headache even for the professional mechanic sometimes. When ever you have any puzzling problems like this, unplug the plugs 1 at a time, spray electrical contact cleaner (Radio Shack or similar) in the female and on the male plugs and "reset" them 2 or 3 times (plug and unplug after you've sprayed with cleaner). I have had some problem on my '04 with the heat/A/C controls shutting off a couple of times. That's all I had to do to bring it online again. With everything run by relays, the amperage (and sometimes voltage) run through the trigger wires for the relays is so slight that the contacts don't have to look dirty at all! But the contact fails and can drive you nuts chasing the problem when everything looks SO GOOD and all checks out fine. It's the 1st thing you should do before you go anywhere else, IF you still have a problem. I've known others who've had similar problems and it fixed them also.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did something similar last week. i was driving and about to get on the interstate so i punched it and no throttle response. the check engine light came on so i pulled over and checked the codes. there was about 5 of them and all were throttle related so i got out and checked the throttle body and the plug on the tps was loose and wouldnt stay on tight. i just pushed it in and wrapped it with tape to hold it in there for now lol.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, not trying to sound too stupid but is the potentiometer (throttle), throttle body servo motor under the dash or is it the sensor located on the intake on the engine?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by Old legend
Ok, not trying to sound too stupid but is the potentiometer (throttle), throttle body servo motor under the dash or is it the sensor located on the intake on the engine?
The potentiometer is the "rheostat" that is on the foot pedal in the truck. it simply sends an ever increasing signal to the PCM which then sends ever increasing power to the servo motor on the throttle body as you step down on the throttle. The only servo motor is on the throttle body. Just a "rheostat" or potentiometer inside the truck. I'm not sure, but on my wife's car, the throttle position sensor is part of the servo motor assy. It used to be separate on the Fords of a few years ago, but i think they found it could easily be incorporated in the servo assy.

Last edited by code58; 09-28-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Enginge went to idle and would not go