2004 - 2008 F-150

for those who have pulled the timing cover off a 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those who have pulled the timing cover off a 5.4

Do you really need to pull the power steering pump pulley off to remove the cover? I feel like I could unbolt the PS pump instead...may be easier? All I have left to do is remove that (if necessary) and remove the crank pulley before the cover can come off.

i'm hoping to attack it after class this evening. If not I will finish the tear down tomorrow, then wait on the new phasers and seal/gaskets to come in friday.

Just a thought, under drive pulleys worth it? I have a cat back exhaust and intake but other than that the engine is stock. I plan on doing the efan conversion one day as well as Edge tuner.

thanks...

Old 08-26-2009, 11:22 AM
pump question

I removed the whole pump... but if it's going to be something fast then remove the pulley...it'll save the mess of draining the pump.....it's a 50/50 up to you how long it'll be off and if you want to rent the tool (autozone rents the tool and you get the money back when you return it) a word fromt he wise (been there doen that) mark & or label the bolts to the cover they get mixed up easy....make a card board temp and put them in the correct hooles as you go!!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by fomoco466
I removed the whole pump... but if it's going to be something fast then remove the pulley...it'll save the mess of draining the pump.....it's a 50/50 up to you how long it'll be off and if you want to rent the tool (autozone rents the tool and you get the money back when you return it) a word fromt he wise (been there doen that) mark & or label the bolts to the cover they get mixed up easy....make a card board temp and put them in the correct hooles as you go!!
Thanks for the answer. I have a puller somewhere but couldn't find it. With that information, I'll go and get the loaner tool. I had to borrow the fan removal tool from there already.

Cheers!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by effects4
Thanks for the answer. I have a puller somewhere but couldn't find it. With that information, I'll go and get the loaner tool. I had to borrow the fan removal tool from there already.

Cheers!
just curious...whats the cost to do both phasers when you do them yourself? Anyone know what ford charges? Keep us updated on how it goes effects4!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by saleen
just curious...whats the cost to do both phasers when you do them yourself? Anyone know what ford charges? Keep us updated on how it goes effects4!
i dont know about doing it yourself, but my dealer turned in $1300 for warranty work and she said it is usually double that for customers. you do the math!!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I got lucky and got a phaser off ebay for $80 shipped a while back. I ordered the 2nd from ford direct online for $171. I think I have another $60 or so in the timing cover gasket kit/seal and valve cover gaskets. I'm going to replace the serp belt to which is about $30

so it can be done for about $400ish. I'll add it up to be exact.

Don't know how a dealer could charge half the cost it would be to do it yourself. That is backwards! there labour is what is so expensive.

I'll post pics once its completed.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 PM
everything is off or out of the way and all the bolts on the timing cover are loose. Only problem is trying to get the dam* crank bolt out. The crank keeps turning. Anyone have any tricks on locking the crank down? strap wrench? Looks like the crank locking tool can only be used after the cover is off and not really that heavy duty.

and yes the passenger side valve cover is a bear to remove but can be done, test will be putting it back on with out damaging the new gasket. FYI - Its a bit easier to get some of the outside valve cover bolts from the wheel well.

I opted to loan a pulley puller for auto zone. cake work

Quick Reply: for those who have pulled the timing cover off a 5.4