2004 - 2008 F-150

Towing question - 6200# OK for F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be cake.

This weekend I pulled my dump trailer with the Kabota and landscape materials boulders etc no problems! Probably about 7000 lbs...

2 weeks ago I had close to 10,000 lbs of boulder in the trailer with no problem! Well just had to leave plenty of room to slow down But getting going wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Stay under 65 MPH. Anything over won't be all that harder on your truck, but it will flop around like a fish for sure.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Squiffo
Ride Rite's ordered. Great write ups on the site for the install. Thinking about the telescoping mirror retro but they are so damn ugly!

Any suggestions on a cool spot to mount the ScangaugeII?

-Chris
There is a mount that puts it above the rearview mirror from somewhere, can't remember where. As for me, I have a single din Pioneer HU and I slipped mine in the pocket below the stereo. The pocket came with the mounting kit. It looks pretty clean and I like it. I will try to get you a pic.

As for the mirrors, I did the retrofit and I love them. I think they give the 150 a brawny 250 look. I don't think they are that ugly at all, but I'm sure they are not for everyone. They are very functional though for towing!

Great choice on the ride rites. You won't be disappointed!!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by mfdengineer
There is a mount that puts it above the rearview mirror from somewhere, can't remember where. As for me, I have a single din Pioneer HU and I slipped mine in the pocket below the stereo. The pocket came with the mounting kit. It looks pretty clean and I like it. I will try to get you a pic.

As for the mirrors, I did the retrofit and I love them. I think they give the 150 a brawny 250 look. I don't think they are that ugly at all, but I'm sure they are not for everyone. They are very functional though for towing!

Great choice on the ride rites. You won't be disappointed!!
Look forward to seeing the Scangauge location pic if you can post one.

Was at the dealer today and looked at a 09 F-150 with the big mirrors. Looked pretty good. I'm thinking about it since I do tow a lot.

I'd like to measure the tongue weight. Does anyone know if you can rent one of those tongue weight jack thingy's? I did a search locally but couldn't find anything - maybe try U-Haul?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Just got yesterday from the trip back to Seattle from San Diego with the boat. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the truck all round and certainly the Ride Rites were the best thing I could have done! With only 30# of air they stiffened up the back end and it towed great.
The only place the truck was underpowered was going up the Grapevine but that is to be expected. I'd like to get a Tranny temp gauge for the next trip though.

Here's a shot of the truck/boat combo before heading out from SD. Gives a good idea of why I might have had some questions!

Chris

Old 10-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow..... I bet that was fun taking corners... And I have the scangauge II myself, love it. I mounted mine right between the Speedometer and RPM Gauge right on the steering console. functionality of Scangauge is really useful for towing or just seeing your MPG's if you dont have lariat pkg. Tranny temps, cylinder head temps, AIT's, MPG, Water temp.. etc

Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It must have been an exciting experience driving from Redding to the Oregon border... I'll bet you could see yourself coming around some of those curves...

Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 AM
No worries on the corners. We got stopped in Redding by the CHP. They were more interested in the boat than anything out of place.

I plan to go through the hp mods but was really impressed with the truck.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 AM
Wow, that was a big haul judging from the picture. You kept the OD turned off as recommended on here? I know our F150's don't have a trans temp gauge like the 250 diesels but do we have a trans temp light on the panel somewhere? Mines a 2005 5.4 SCab with the Tow package also.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by MotoMike
Wow, that was a big haul judging from the picture. You kept the OD turned off as recommended on here? I know our F150's don't have a trans temp gauge like the 250 diesels but do we have a trans temp light on the panel somewhere? Mines a 2005 5.4 SCab with the Tow package also.
Yep, ran OD off as recommended and kept it under 65. Average MPG was just under 12.

I saw a really cool option on a F-350 with a video cam in the tailgate handle and monitor in the rear view mirror with line showing the hitch position. Anyone know if this can be done to a 150?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
yes it can but it will take some work. What I did was just added and an aftermarket radio (pioneer Z2) with a boyo vtl300 camera. I can also drive with the unit in split screen. One screen displaying the rear of the vehicle and the other screed dislplaying the navi. If your looking to do something like this we can help you get started.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
yes it can but it will take some work. What I did was just added and an aftermarket radio (pioneer Z2) with a boyo vtl300 camera. I can also drive with the unit in split screen. One screen displaying the rear of the vehicle and the other screed dislplaying the navi. If your looking to do something like this we can help you get started.
I'd be very interested in taking a look at your set up. Can you send me some pics and info? Why not go with the mirror video display?

Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Very impressive and well done. I also bet corners were a beast!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The boat looks bigger out of water. That had to be one nice trip!

Where did you put the keel? How will you get the mast back in?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by greencrew
The boat looks bigger out of water. That had to be one nice trip!

Where did you put the keel? How will you get the mast back in?
The trip worked out better than expected no doubt.

Keel retracts into the boat and has a 2500# bulb. Draft is 7.2 when down.

Mast is carbon fiber and about 50'. We use the hoist we drop the boat in to step the mast. It can be a bit of a challenge at times.

Top speed so far is 25 knots. The boat moves out downwind!

This was the first road trip. Now that I have seen how well the truck pulled it I'm sure more trips will be planned!

Quick Reply: Towing question - 6200# OK for F-150?