2004 - 2008 F-150

busted the dealer, although its 3 years later....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
busted the dealer, although its 3 years later....

I posted this as a response to someone in the transmission forums not trusting the dealer to actually do the filter change when requested.... But thought someone here may find it interesting.

I asked for a new filters and fluids when I bought my FX4 back in 2006. Truck had 37,750 on it. This was to INCLUDE a new trans filter. Hard to see but the top 5 items have the ditto marks to state that everything was changed together...

Well the dealer claimed they did it but looky what I found when I dropped the pan myself today to change the filter. Now why would they put that back in there?? Busted...

Old 08-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Yep

I hate taking my truck to the dealer. They are the last people I trust... I would never buy another new truck again. I would just rather not have a warranty and take it to a good local mech.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it in, raise hell. I would.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what am I looking at?

btw, it IS NOT normal to change the tranny filter out anymore like the old days.

Shops instead clean/inspect them and 3/4 of the time re-install them. The OEM filter is better than most aftermarket stuff. I had some work done on a Bronco at the local Goodyear shop. I too asked for the filter to be changed out. The Tech's talked to me and explained that isn't their normal practice anymore.

I'd talk to the Dealership and see what their standard practice is

Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
what am I looking at?

You are looking at the little yellow plug in the bottom of the pan. If the pan was removed before and the filter was changed that plug should not be in there.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You probably asked a dumbass salesman who was desperate to move that truck that day to see to it that the truck was serviced.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
You probably asked a dumbass salesman who was desperate to move that truck that day to see to it that the truck was serviced.

I suppose so. I paid for it on Friday afternoon but didn't pick it up until Saturday afternoon. They were supposed to service everything and detail it for me. At least they cleaned it...

Oh well, not like I can or need to do anything about it. Just a bit disappointing.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I really enjoy busting any repair shop. You have to watch, and double check their work. It's tough to double check a flush, but I do look for clean fluid.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
yea that yellow plug is for the dip stick when the factory puts everything together yea i had mine flushed and then a month later i droped the pan in install my new valvebody and looky no new filter, asked a tech i know that works a ford dealer and they dont change the filter inless you specificly ask for it, they hook up a machine to the tranny line and back flush thus "cleaning the filter".

Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Most dealers just use a fluid exchanger to pull out 4-5 quarts or a flushing machine to replace the entire amount. They will never drop the pan cause that would take them toooooooooo long.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Suspended
That is BS. Hopefully you don't go to that dealer anymore. On another note. That magnet looks pretty dirty. Here is mine at 92,000 right after the trans took a dump.

And the original filter after I wiped half of it down.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks. I would be very upset.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey Kendive
I would never buy another new truck again. I would just rather not have a warranty and take it to a good local mech.
You don't have to take your truck back to the dealer, to keep your warranty in tact. That is a common fallacy. I LOVE my new truck, and I take it to my personal mechanic religously for all of it's servicing > but it has NEVER been back to the dealer, and if I'm lucky (If it doesn't need any major warranty work) it NEVER will.

Dealers would like you to think, that you have to take the vehicle back to them for servicing. But that is simply not true. In fact, their have been class action law suits filed over this kind of thing.

All you need is proof that a certified mechanic (mine is) performed the needed work / maintenance.

Peace,
Fish

PS, Hey Effects4, if that dealer told you they did replace it, and in fact they did not, that sucks ! But it probably didn't hurt much, if anything. Just let that be a lesson to you, that you can't trust dealers for 1/2 of 1 second ! They are only good for major warranty work, such as replacing motors or trannies..... and that's only because they really don't have to "fix or rebuild" anything..... they simply "replace them".....

Last edited by Fish Chris; 08-19-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by effects4
Well the dealer claimed they did it but looky what I found when I dropped the pan myself today to change the filter. Now why would they put that back in there?? Busted...

I don't consider this proof of anything. You ask "why would they put the plug back in?" the opposite could also be asked, "why would they take it out?" It doesn't hurt anything to leave it in there and it's not a requirement to throw it away. It isn't the certified techs doing this stuff, maybe on a slow day, but otherwise it's the kid that does the oil changes and mounts tires all day. You can't say you busted them because all you have is assumptions, you didn't see what they did.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Its very possible that they sucked out the fluid, partially dropped the pan, slipped out and in the new filter and buttoned it back up. NOT taking out the factory plug. I agree it is not proof of anything.

Cleaner, quicker for the tech. I also DISAGREE with having bone heads do this type of work. Recently at my dealer I saw a very young kid NOT in the Ford dealer mechanic uniform driving vehicles up on the alignment machine. Getting them set up so the tech is not wasting time doing that stuff.

If a tech specializes in transmission rebuilds...the ONLY thing his is doing is working inside that trans. Someone else is pulling them, and starting the disassemble on the bench. Thats the only way they can make money and get the most done.

Quick Reply: busted the dealer, although its 3 years later....