2004 - 2008 F-150

LED Tail Light Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Tail Light Help Needed

I have been pouring through Ebay for weeks trying to figure out which tail lights to buy. I have a black FX4. I am sure I do not want chrome but rather black or smoke. Can anybody reccomend a good set of tails? I really want to spend less than $200. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor
All I did was replace the bulbs with some LEDs from superbrightleds.com. They also had an electronic flasher so the new LEDs didn't flash obnoxiously fast. Total with shipping was between $30 and $40. I'm sure others will have suggestions for what they've done (Hella, etc.), but this is probably the cheapest option.

Last edited by cstanek; 08-18-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 AM

I bought these from Ebay. They are true OEM style, no bulge. They are even cheaper than what I paid last month. Once I got them I saw they had a slight tint to them. They look great and I love them. They are less than $130 for pair.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...Q5fAccessories

Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
If your looking at LED tails, you should be aware that for some reason they tend to kill the cruise control on these trucks.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 AM

check my gallery....I have Ebay LED tails and have had both chrome/smoke and black background on the tails...get the black, dont get smoke or it will have a chrome background.

Currently I have the black LED housing ones that I smoked with niteshades

Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tbird69
If your looking at LED tails, you should be aware that for some reason they tend to kill the cruise control on these trucks.

Tbird69, from what I've read, this was early on and not now. It appears the manufactures have resolved the issue with resistors. I have not had any problems. Also I have read the problem is more with the 3rd brake light than with the LED tails. As for mine I have not had any problems.

Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4
check my gallery....I have Ebay LED tails and have had both chrome/smoke and black background on the tails...get the black, dont get smoke or it will have a chrome background.

Currently I have the black LED housing ones that I smoked with niteshades
Mine have the chrome inside but are all red lenses. You don't really see the chrome during the daytime. As I mentioned they have a slight smoke tint to them. I like them mainly because they have a 4 x 6 row of LED's on top, a 2 x 3 row of LED's below the reverse light, and 3 LED's on the side for side markers.

Good luck in your choice.

Last edited by tbraquet; 08-18-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
Tbird69, from what I've read, this was early on and not now. It appears the manufactures have resolved the issue with resistors. I have not had any problems. Also I have read the problem is more with the 3rd brake light than with the LED tails. As for mine I have not had any problems.

True, if you're buying LED circuit type taillight assemblies, as these manufacturers install a "load resister" circuit into their assemblies. This poster said he installed SUPERBRIGHTLED" bulbs into his tailight assemblies with a new flasher. Yep, his turn signals will flash just fine, but his cruise will not function until he installs a load resister in EACH circuit of the brake wiring (one on the left, one on the right). Problem with this is that the load resisters could heat up, so you want to be sure they are not touching any other wiring. Second, if you ever place a standard bulb back into the socket, the bulbs will flash real slow. Plus, I dislike the idea of cutting into a factory wiring harness to solder in load resisters.

The cruise circuit detects curent draw from the brake circuit to allow/dis-allow cruise engagement. Regular style bulbs have a certain resistance across the filiment that the cruise circuit expects. When an LED bulb is installed in the rear taillight assemblies for the brake/parking lamps, these LED bulbs have a very low current draw; this causes the cruise to not engage (the cruise "on" button does not turn on the cruise). The front turn signals have no effect; feel free to install LED bulbs in them. It's only the brake circuit that requires a load balancer/load resistor in order for the cruise to work.

Best way is to buy taillight assemblies with a load resister circuit built into their taillights. Call and ask the larger manufacturers; they are aware of this and will tell you if their assemblies affect the cruise or not.

For the record, an LED third light assembley (on top of the cab) has no effect on the cruise; it's only LED BULBS installed in the taillight assemblies.

Last edited by STXbucko; 08-18-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by STXbucko

Best way is to buy taillight assemblies with a load resister circuit built into their taillights. Call and ask the larger manufacturers; they are aware of this and will tell you if their assemblies affect the cruise or not.

For the record, an LED third light assembley (on top of the cab) has no effect on the cruise; it's only LED BULBS installed in the taillight assemblies.

You are correct. Mine came with the resistor in the housing.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 PM
True, if you're buying LED circuit type taillight assemblies, as these manufacturers install a "load resister" circuit into their assemblies. This poster said he installed SUPERBRIGHTLED" bulbs into his tailight assemblies with a new flasher. Yep, his turn signals will flash just fine, but his cruise will not function until he installs a load resister in EACH circuit of the brake wiring (one on the left, one on the right). Problem with this is that the load resisters could heat up, so you want to be sure they are not touching any other wiring. Second, if you ever place a standard bulb back into the socket, the bulbs will flash real slow. Plus, I dislike the idea of cutting into a factory wiring harness to solder in load resisters.

The cruise circuit detects curent draw from the brake circuit to allow/dis-allow cruise engagement. Regular style bulbs have a certain resistance across the filiment that the cruise circuit expects. When an LED bulb is installed in the rear taillight assemblies for the brake/parking lamps, these LED bulbs have a very low current draw; this causes the cruise to not engage (the cruise "on" button does not turn on the cruise). The front turn signals have no effect; feel free to install LED bulbs in them. It's only the brake circuit that requires a load balancer/load resistor in order for the cruise to work.

Good info STX, consider me educated.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info everybody! I think I am going with TBRAQUET's reccomendation.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by johnb62
Thanks for the info everybody! I think I am going with TBRAQUET's reccomendation.
Good choice, I'm running the same ones as well. No problems whatsoever, I was skeptical of going with no name brand lights but have been very pleased so far.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by johnb62
I think you will be happy. Just remember to post some pics once you get them on.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:53 PM

My cruise works just fine without load resistors. Just new bulbs and a new flasher. All works as designed with no ill effects.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about the bulbs in an 01 screw?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by cstanek
My cruise works just fine without load resistors. Just new bulbs and a new flasher. All works as designed with no ill effects.
I was checking out superbrightled's site yesterday. Which ones did you get? How does the brightness compare to the factory bulbs?

Quick Reply: LED Tail Light Help Needed