2004 - 2008 F-150

Orange fuel filter clip retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Orange fuel filter clip retrofit

I changed my fuel filter today and in the process broke the orange clip on the tank side of my filter. After calling every auto parts store within 10 mi and finding nothing I had no choice but to bend over grab my ankles and go to the local dealership. I found that they have a retrofit kit for the orange clips, part# 7L3Z-9S317-A. This Clip Kit consists of 2 pink clips that look and work like the blue clips that some have. For some reason they won't sell just one. The grab the ankles part is that these 2 clips cost me $16.65 which is MSRP, but I had no choice. I needed the truck today.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How did you break the orange clip?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stealth
How did you break the orange clip?
I hope you didn't follow the How-To directions on the front end of that fuel filter replacement thread. That guy used a screwdriver to pry off his clip, he's lucky he didn't break it.

If you read further into the article, you'll see all you need to do is push on the orange clip and it releases the fuel line. I have an orange clip on my truck, just pushed it in, and off came the line.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I didn't try to pry it out. It released as it should have, but a broken piece of the clip came out when I pulled the line off the filter. I'm not sure how it broke.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Are you the original owner?

If not, maybe the guy who owned it before you did pry it out and broke it in the process, and just jambed it back in hoping it wouldn't leak.

I don't believe this clip could break just by pushing on it with a finger, it must have been broken already.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I am the original owner. I should have mentioned that this is the second time I have changed the filter. The first one at 30k went fine. I now have 60k and pushed on the orange clip just like the first time, but this time the clip broke. Apparently I am not the only one who has had a problem with this if Ford came up with a retrofit kit.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the blue clip and just use my fuel line tools to release the clip.

OP, you must have had a defective clip. Good thing you were able to find a replacement so quick.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by jr105
I am the original owner. I should have mentioned that this is the second time I have changed the filter. The first one at 30k went fine. I now have 60k and pushed on the orange clip just like the first time, but this time the clip broke. Apparently I am not the only one who has had a problem with this if Ford came up with a retrofit kit.
I knew that ford was selling replacement blue clips, guess I didn't read you original post closely enough, that this is supposed to be a "retrofit."

That said, you're the first person I've seen to have a problem with the orange ones. (That released the clip the right way anyway)
Almost all the other instances I've read have been due to trying to pry it out. Did those replacement clips fit in there ok?

Last edited by jntibs; 08-08-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 PM
The new clip snapped right into the hose end, and it has a locking tab that you push in after the filter clicks in just like the blue clips. The only thing is its pink. They could have picked a more manly color for a truck part.

Quick Reply: Orange fuel filter clip retrofit