2004 - 2008 F-150

Spark plug change report.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Dealership Screw

In regards to the same issue with these spark plugs. I took my 2006 fx4 scab to Capital Ford here in NC to change out the plugs at 53k and they broke off two in the head. One they got out some how and the last one is totally sheered off with some threads still in the head and the other half of the broken nut above the electrode shield. As I see it if they follow the TSB correctly they can complete the requirements for this. Again if the dealership breaks them off due to either bad design or improper procedures according to the TSB how am I held responsible for the now 3k to take the head off because they broke it off and not I.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by GProcac571
In regards to the same issue with these spark plugs. I took my 2006 fx4 scab to Capital Ford here in NC to change out the plugs at 53k and they broke off two in the head. One they got out some how and the last one is totally sheered off with some threads still in the head and the other half of the broken nut above the electrode shield. As I see it if they follow the TSB correctly they can complete the requirements for this. Again if the dealership breaks them off due to either bad design or improper procedures according to the TSB how am I held responsible for the now 3k to take the head off because they broke it off and not I.
Are you describing this correctly? Something doesn't sound right. The plug broke leaving threads in the head? When these plugs break it only leaves the ground shield and possibly some of the porcelain behind.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by transfercase
Looks like they used the lisle remover. It pushes the porcelain down, breaking the electrode strap to make room for the extractor.
I don't think they used the lisle tool, look at the tip of the broken plug closely, it has the rubber cap pushed in it to the end, that's the cap the rotunda tool comes with so that metal shavings from the tap don't get into the cylinder head... the cap would not be there if the lisle tool was used as that tool pushes the porcelain down and there's no cap.

unless that is burnt porcelain and not the rubber cap, in which case that could be concerning as there is quite a bit of space between the procelain and the broken out piece of the plug, meaning - where did that extra porcelain go? down into the cylinder head?

Last edited by Forrest_F150; 08-31-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by GProcac571

Ouch!!!! 3k for a spark plug change.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Pics

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...-dsc01103.html
Originally Posted by jaburk
Ouch!!!! 3k for a spark plug change.
Ladies and gents here are a few pics of what is left of my spark plugs. Take note of what is left over of the thread top.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...ot-happen.html

Last edited by GProcac571; 09-08-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Outstanding to hear of wonderful service from your Dealer.
I changed my plugs following the TSB on my '05 with 42k.
I broke #8. I got lucky, I was able to remove the "stuck"
piece of the plug with some epoxy and a gas welding rod.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 AM
that's a good price. been quoted over 300 and someplaces close to 400. too bad i'm not in your area.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM
That's another great bit of info I've picked up from this site, I would have thought it would be just another plug change, sounds like it can be a bunch of four letter words too.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change report.