2004 - 2008 F-150

'07 F150 HD - Whine from drivetrain at while moving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 F150 HD - Whine from drivetrain at while moving?

Hi guys, I have an 07 F150 HD (AWD, not supercharged) with 30k miles.

For the past few thousand miles it has been making a whining noise pretty often while I am driving.

If I go up to like 70mph on the highway it almost always makes it although sometimes more quietly than others.
After driving for an extended period of time (especially on the hwy) it will make the noise at a pretty noticable volume.
Once it is making it good it comes and goes regardless of speed. Like for example as I was coasting/driving up the hill to pull into the ford dealership lot the other day it was making it (at like 30mph) There does not appear to be any correlation between accelerating and making the noise (whether or not I am into the gas...has no impact on the noise) though I have not heard it when I was stationary. On the highway if it is making the noise and I just coast for a while it will sometimes abruptly stop making the noise (or start) when the truck shifts.

i took a ride with a tech from my local dealership the other day to show him the noise and it (of course) was pretty quiet - though it was there - while we went out for a spin. He had me shift into neutral while on the hwy and the noise didnt go away. He said it woudl be pretty hard to diagnose this and that I would have to drop it off sometime probably to have them look at it further. We went back to the dealership, they did the oil change while I waited...and then when I was paying and they were telling me how I was due for a transmission flush (30k) he said he thinks the noise might be coming from the rear transfer case and so he reccomends a rear transfer case service (~160 bucks including fluids).

Do you guys have any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Any input as to whether I should have them do this service or not? I dont really like paying 160 bucks for non-scheduled maintenance on a truck that is still under warranty (unless its for new pads or tires or something obviously). Seems to me thatif nothing is wrong there is no noise, if something is wrong its a warranty issue....feels like putting newer/better/more fluids in the transfer case might quiet the problem but not correct it (if there is one)

Lord knows if this doesnt fix it, and down the road they find there was something wrong that is covered under warranty they arent going to give me the 160 back...

Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds like what I am having a problem with. I did post a few days ago but nobody replied so far. You can read it here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ighlight=tmd07
I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow and I will let you know if they tell me the same thing.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 PM
just checked out your post. Definitely sounds the same.....I would need to put my whole truck up in the air to actually hear where it is coming from (AWD) so I havent been able to do that yet. Hopefully your dealer doesnt try to blame it on your lift.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 PM
just did a bunch of searching through the forums...unfortunately (or fortunately) did not find many threads that sounded like this...

Did find this one which is not a good sign (although it is mostly about 98-03 models)
https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...end-whine.html

Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by slug420
If I go up to like 70mph on the highway it almost always makes it although sometimes more quietly than others.
After driving for an extended period of time (especially on the hwy) it will make the noise at a pretty noticable volume.
Once it is making it good it comes and goes regardless of speed. Like for example as I was coasting/driving up the hill to pull into the ford dealership lot the other day it was making it (at like 30mph) There does not appear to be any correlation between accelerating and making the noise (whether or not I am into the gas...has no impact on the noise) though I have not heard it when I was stationary. On the highway if it is making the noise and I just coast for a while it will sometimes abruptly stop making the noise (or start) when the truck shifts.
Just solved this on my 07 fx4, had almost the exact same symptoms. The dealer thought it was coming from trans (so did I) and was going to pull it apart. Oddly enough turns out it was actually the tensioner pulley bearing! Cheap and quick fix.

Matt

Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM
just an update to this....

Finally got around to bringing my truck to another dealer (20 minutes away instead of 2 minutes but whatever).

They heard the noise and spent a couple days diagnosing before they decided the tranny needed to come out. Took the tranny out and sent it to a tranny shop in town (surprised they dont do this all in-house) which is where it stands now. they have had the truck for 2 weeks as of tomorrow...hopefully they figure it out and get it back to me soon.......

Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Got it back (FINALLY!)

The rebuilt the tranny with a new rear end bearing or rear case bearing or something like that. No noise now when I am driving (not yet anyway)...and it only took like 3 weeks *sarcasm*!

Quick Reply: '07 F150 HD - Whine from drivetrain at while moving?