2004 - 2008 F-150

Bad experience with Hella Blackout Headlights.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jk007
How worn do they look and what was the warranty period on them. Hypothetically speaking, if someone was getting the run around from both Auto Anything and Hella, that someone could order up a new set from Auto Anything, install the new ones, throw the old ones in the box and tell them that they are defective. That someone could demand a refund because they are still within the new warranty period. I would advise that someone to order them with a credit card so if they give that someone grief about it, that someone can dispute the charges.
Gee, that's an ethical solution.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Luck! I have left over 10 messages with hella. Auto anything did the same thing. Hella just won't call me back and sends out some stupid generic e-mail that my lights will be replaced. a year later and they haven't called me back or tried to get me a replacement.

I'll leave them some real negative feed back on the BBB. Done with that company for good. What a way to treat your customers.

If you want some fish tanks for headlights buy the hella headlights. I had soo much water in mine that I could of put some gold fish in them.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Gee, that's an ethical solution.
Well then I guess the OP has a choice to make. Continue to get ignored and frustrated by a company that won't stand behind their product and could care less about the customer, or actually get what they paid for with their hard earned money. Sounds to me like Hella is well aware of this issue through some of the other posts on here and still chooses to do nothing about it and pretend it doesn't exist. He has taken the correct approach thus far and look where that's got him, time to get creative if you ask me.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Does your truck sit outside all the time? If it does, that's why your headlights are getting gnarly.

Even the best factory lamps don't stand a chance sitting outdoors.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 PM
have my doubts outdoor weather is the problem. I'd place my bets on bad manufacturing.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 04 has never seen the inside of a garage (mine's too small) and the stock headlights don't fog up, going on 5 years old.

I'd agree the problem with these lights is a manufacturing/design problem, not just exposure.

I guess now I know not to go get aftermarket headlights, it's not just these hella's that I've heard problems about, it's almost all of them that aren't oem.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Impact9
have my doubts outdoor weather is the problem. I'd place my bets on bad manufacturing.
My vehicles are in the garage most of the time. Never have I ever had issues with headlights or any clear plastic pieces. Ever. No yellowing. No pealing. No staining. No leaks. And I have lived where it's sunny 85+% of the time with UV rays that would give Stevie Wonder cataracts.

Leave your trucks outside, expect the wrath of nature to take a beating on the entire exterior.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Ford doesn't make these trucks to be babied. Go buy a Toyota if you want to keep it in the garage all nice and shiny. Aside from the normal wear and tear on the paint, OEM headlights were fine when I pulled them off after running them for nearly 4 years. Bearing the same brunt of the natural elements the Hella brand started falling apart with in meer months, not years.

So I can say the same thing. Never have I had any issues with yellowing, cracking, pealing staining, leaks from -10 to 110 degrees during all four season, to my storm chasing 90+mph head winds, hail, torrential down pours, blasting sand and all the other forces of nature to boot- All on a OEM headlight.

So I guess I'll watch ebay or hit tasca for the OEM harleys and eat price of the Hellas. They might have good offroad and driving lights but damn their replacement housings stink.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Impact9
Ford doesn't make these trucks to be babied. Go buy a Toyota if you want to keep it in the garage all nice and shiny. Aside from the normal wear and tear on the paint, OEM headlights were fine when I pulled them off after running them for nearly 4 years. Bearing the same brunt of the natural elements the Hella brand started falling apart with in meer months, not years.

So I can say the same thing. Never have I had any issues with yellowing, cracking, pealing staining, leaks from -10 to 110 degrees during all four season, to my storm chasing 90+mph head winds, hail, torrential down pours, blasting sand and all the other forces of nature to boot- All on a OEM headlight.

So I guess I'll watch ebay or hit tasca for the OEM harleys and eat price of the Hellas. They might have good offroad and driving lights but damn their replacement housings stink.
man, i was considering getting the Hella's , but after reading that i guess i will just keep the stockers and cover them with a light black window tint film..

Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by mana_f150
man, i was considering getting the Hella's , but after reading that i guess i will just keep the stockers and cover them with a light black window tint film..
Don't bother. Bake them and pry apart and paint the non-reflector part. If you tint the whole thing you will have reduced light output. Not safe and probably not legal.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by jk007
How worn do they look and what was the warranty period on them. Hypothetically speaking, if someone was getting the run around from both Auto Anything and Hella, that someone could order up a new set from Auto Anything, install the new ones, throw the old ones in the box and tell them that they are defective. That someone could demand a refund because they are still within the new warranty period. I would advise that someone to order them with a credit card so if they give that someone grief about it, that someone can dispute the charges.
Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by cstanek
Hypothetically speaking, of course.
Of course.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Well, what I found out was, my Hella Blackouts are "just over" the 1 year warranty period.... even though they screwed up long before the 1 year period. Actually, the 1 leaked brand new, now they are peeling (or crazing) which probably started at 10 months or so.

And BTW, apparently, Auto Anything had SOOO many problems with this product, that they discontinued the selling of them

Sure wish I could afford some HD's right now.....

Peace,
Fish

PS, The guy at Auto Anything said he was going to contact Hella, and see if their was anything that he could do > and he'd get back to me. YEA' RIGHT ! .....and I might hit the lotto for $50 mil too.

BTW, does anybody have a direct number for Hella ? I couldn't find one online.....

Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Well, what I found out was, my Hella Blackouts are "just over" the 1 year warranty period.... even though they screwed up long before the 1 year period. Actually, the 1 leaked brand new, now they are peeling (or crazing) which probably started at 10 months or so.

And BTW, apparently, Auto Anything had SOOO many problems with this product, that they discontinued the selling of them

Sure wish I could afford some HD's right now.....

Peace,
Fish

PS, The guy at Auto Anything said he was going to contact Hella, and see if their was anything that he could do > and he'd get back to me. YEA' RIGHT ! .....and I might hit the lotto for $50 mil too.

BTW, does anybody have a direct number for Hella ? I couldn't find one online.....
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...la_Inc_USA.jsp

Have at it, and good luck.

Last edited by Stealth; 07-17-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine for all of a month...
not that I've had any problems, but for the record you guys are making me a little worried.. So, you guys think it might be a good idea to put some caulk around the edges now before there's a problem?

sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just concerned..

Quick Reply: Bad experience with Hella Blackout Headlights.....