2004 - 2008 F-150

Roush CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ZRXKUMA
Thanks, technology was kicking my butt again.
All that typing we wasted for nothing!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to hijack, but I have a question regarding the CAI debate going on here....

1. Roush is taylor made for F150's so I (as a naive consumer) would deduce that it is a safe product to use, unaltered in an F150. I see roush's rediculous price as two things: name recognition and the ability to plug and play with no additions (ie, tuning, pcm flash, etc...) Understanding also, that roush products were introduced in the 2006+ up vehicles, the real issue could occur with a pre-2006 F150. Is this a safe assumption?

2. I would prefer to save my $ and go with an "alternate" CAI. I have headers, exhaust, K&N cone replacement, and a Xcal II with generic tunes. Can I add a CAI product such as volant, s&b, K&N, et al without switching to custom tunes safely?

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by c0ckac0la
Not to hijack, but I have a question regarding the CAI debate going on here....

1. Roush is taylor made for F150's so I (as a naive consumer) would deduce that it is a safe product to use, unaltered in an F150. I see roush's rediculous price as two things: name recognition and the ability to plug and play with no additions (ie, tuning, pcm flash, etc...) Understanding also, that roush products were introduced in the 2006+ up vehicles, the real issue could occur with a pre-2006 F150. Is this a safe assumption?

2. I would prefer to save my $ and go with an "alternate" CAI. I have headers, exhaust, K&N cone replacement, and a Xcal II with generic tunes. Can I add a CAI product such as volant, s&b, K&N, et al without switching to custom tunes safely?

Thanks!

You have a 2005? If so, I would not risk it. We hear frequently that they run lean with any increased air flow. On a 2006 up, probably, but even then, there has been occasions where one runs lean. The ting is, you get very little gains with any CAI without custom tunes to take advantage of the increased air flow. So why risk it for looks, the sound and maybe 7 or so HP?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
You have a 2005? If so, I would not risk it. We hear frequently that they run lean with any increased air flow. On a 2006 up, probably, but even then, there has been occasions where one runs lean. The ting is, you get very little gains with any CAI without custom tunes to take advantage of the increased air flow. So why risk it for looks, the sound and maybe 7 or so HP?
Looks? No, I can't see it from behind the steering wheel
Sound? Nah, the headers are loud enough!
Hp and fuel economy? Heck yes!!!!

Seriously though. I am gathering from your response that the Xcal 2 is not customizable without a complete new tune? BTW, I'm have the 4.6 which I have heard does not run lean like the 5.4's do. If this is not the case, I think I'll spend the cash on some e-fans first. Thanks Jay!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by c0ckac0la
Looks? No, I can't see it from behind the steering wheel
Sound? Nah, the headers are loud enough!
Hp and fuel economy? Heck yes!!!!

Seriously though. I am gathering from your response that the Xcal 2 is not customizable without a complete new tune? BTW, I'm have the 4.6 which I have heard does not run lean like the 5.4's do. If this is not the case, I think I'll spend the cash on some e-fans first. Thanks Jay!
No, you should not have the lean issue with a 4.6. Most likely, you will need a new tune to take advantage, but only the one who wrote your current tune would know it's parameters. You might contact them and ask.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
No, you should not have the lean issue with a 4.6. Most likely, you will need a new tune to take advantage, but only the one who wrote your current tune would know it's parameters. You might contact them and ask.
It is just a preloaded set that came with the Xcal. I have been running 91 octane performance since I got the headers, exhaust, gears and tires. I could go back to JBA and have them program me a new tune, but I don't really want to spend the time and money on dyno pulls right now. I'm planning on doing a cross country in about 8 weeks and I just don't have time between now and then to get down there. I'm trying to get the best increase in economy and power now and then I'll be able to do a little more after we get back. Thoughts?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran a Volant CAI for 2.5 years on my 06 FX4 before installing the blower

not a single problem...and it didn't run lean at all.

The only time you should worry about being lean on a 5.4 engine is in 3 cases.
1. You own a 2004-2005 5.4. The ECM Fuel Maps are very very restrictive
2. You didn't reset the PCM (unplug battery 30 minutes). Resetting the PCM makes it take account the little bit more airflow the CAI gives you. There is enough variance programmed into the fuel maps to adjust for this without any issue.
3. You install the AF1 3.5" CAI. It specifically sells with a warning stating you need custom tuning to utilize. This is because of the MAF relocation and the increased airflow it makes versus other CAI styles

I agree 100% a tuner will give you more Bang for the Buck...but a blanket statement that all CAI cause a Lean Condition is a bit extreme. A properly operating ECM can and will adjust for the CAI without any issues

Old 07-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The Roush CAI is made by Air Raid, just rebadged.

And on a side note, do you long tube shorty headers for your 4.6?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 PM
All in the sig. Shorties from JBA.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Ho-ly jeebus, I am just going to keep my oem intake, and oem exhaust, and throw my money away on accessories...although since I put a new exhaust on my motorcycle...I have to put a new intake on it too....CRAP! haha, lucky for me, the intakes are easy to do...thanks for all the info about the truck CAI and exhaust, I own a 2005, maybe I should have it tuned up, and adjusted so its not running stock lean, so the engine lasts longer...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:13 AM
k so reading this thread just got me worried, i have a 2004 with a airaid intake, and i also have a magnaflow catback exhaust installed.... plus i have a edge evo, but to make it so my truck actually doesn't run lean what do i need to do in the programmer to fix that problem? idk for sure if it does or doesn't run lean i haven't played with the programmer all that much just switch the settings and drive so am i doing anything wrong? and if so what do i need to do to fix it?
Also my exhaust smells pretty bad like hot rotten eggs is that a indecation that it is running lean? again thanks for the help..... plus i am in the process of getting php to do some custome tunes just need to save up a couple more bucks cause i just bought a ar15

Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FordMan7
k so reading this thread just got me worried, i have a 2004 with a airaid intake, and i also have a magnaflow catback exhaust installed.... plus i have a edge evo, but to make it so my truck actually doesn't run lean what do i need to do in the programmer to fix that problem? idk for sure if it does or doesn't run lean i haven't played with the programmer all that much just switch the settings and drive so am i doing anything wrong? and if so what do i need to do to fix it?
Also my exhaust smells pretty bad like hot rotten eggs is that a indecation that it is running lean? again thanks for the help..... plus i am in the process of getting php to do some custome tunes just need to save up a couple more bucks cause i just bought a ar15
Hello & good morning sir! How are you today?

Firstly sir - you cannot properly correct for a CAI with yer Edge, or most other canned devices. You will require custom tuning to do this properly.

Secondly - any 04+ truck with a slot-style MAF that has been relocated and/or venturi modified in any way as part of the CAI's tube design will also very likely require tuning.

Third - lean conditions cannot be directly detected nor reliably diagnosed via presence/absense of a CEL - only direct measurements can determine this fer sure.

Fourth - yes the later vehicles may have less of a tendency and enhanced correction ability, but it can still be a problem with certain intakes. Trucks also vary widely - what is safe on one may not be on another - there are many different strategies in play. If the MAF TF is off by enough, no amount of fuel trim correction is gonna fix it. A new TF is going to be required.

Fifth - the smell .. well, you may need to check yer shorts .. sounds like you yerself are running a little rich

This is not something you'd want to leave to supposition, assumption, hearsay or chance - while a lot of folks claim no issues, and some actually do not have any problems (depending upon the intake/truck /strategy combo) very few have any actual data for definitive confirmation. Wanna borrow my wideband?

Be sure to tell PHP what intake you have.

I hope this helps...

Good luck!

Cheers!

MGD v4.2

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-11-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Fifth - the smell .. well, you may need to check yer shorts .. sounds like you yerself are running a little rich

MGD v4.2
You sir might be correct lol, that is why i have leather seats it cleans up a lot easier, i know what a MAF is but what is a TF?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FordMan7
You sir might be correct lol, that is why i have leather seats it cleans up a lot easier, i know what a MAF is but what is a TF?

Hi again, sir!

Sorry - 'TF' stands for Transfer Function. In essence, the table of pre-defined values stored in the PCM that 'translates' the voltage seen from the MAF to a specific Mass airflow at any given point in time. The voltage goes through an A/D converter (analog-digital), and the resultant values are expressed as 'counts' in PCM geek-speak.

You see, the MAF is merely 'sampling' a small portion of the flow in a very rigourously determined & controlled location within that intake tube. The propeller-heads also dictate the precise geometry of the intake tube at this location; that along with the table, allows the actual flow to be known with very high accuracy.

This table is fixed to the stock intake in the stock strategies. Any good CAI worthy of any performance will need a different one to be embedded within the tuning, as the loaction and/or geometry of the intake tube has likely changed.

Clear enough? I'm sorry if it isn't - trying my best here, but I'm just an old ignant feller meeself...

Cheers!

MGD v4.2

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-11-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spellin' ... what else, lol
Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
The Roush CAI is made by Air Raid, just rebadged.

And on a side note, do you long tube shorty headers for your 4.6?
i was just gunna say.....to answer his other question his roush instake looks EXACTLY the same as my AirAid instake, every little detail is the same except his says roush. kinda funny. i wonder how much he paid for his....cuz i think i got mine online for like 260$ if i remember correctly.

Quick Reply: Roush CAI