2004 - 2008 F-150

Windows Squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I maybe trying to take apart the doors this weekend and cleaning the moulding. I'm not sure but I'm thinking of coating the thing with baby powder and spraying it off with compressed air.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I noticed after a couple of sunny weeks here in vancouver that my rear windows on screw do it and not my 2 front windows.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:19 PM
GOT THE FIX! Problem is 100% GONE!

Just pulled the door panel on my company truck. I did take pics but, I'm not too good w/ posting them(I will try later but, don't count on them) sorry

The problem seems to be a lack of proper lubricant. Simple once the door panel is removed.

Basically, all you need is a can of white lithium grease spray, about an hour and some basic hand tools. After lubricating many,many garage doors, I will tell you that white lith grease is MUCH better and longer lasting than WD40(which can make the squeak worse believe it or not)

Behind the manual window crank is a nylon pully and a spool of braided cable. the cable winds around 4 other nylon pullys(one at each far corner of the door panel)

The squeak comes from the bottom 2 pullys. Once lubed, problem is GONE.
Absolutely nothing to do with window tint(mine dosen't have any) or weather stripping.

To remove the panel on mine, I removed the torx screw on the crank handle, removed the two exposed bottom screws, the two bolts behind the handle screw cover, the exposed screw right under the arm rest, the speaker cover and speaker, then lifted straight up. The panel has "hooked fingers" to latch the panel in place.Obviously, it will be a little harder with power windows.

Be very careful removing the door panel as I broke one of the plastic "fingers". Did not seem to affect anything that I can tell.

May want to be carful on spraying the grease as I went ape s@#% and sprayed everything so, I will probably have to keep cleaning the glass for the next week :o

This is DEFINITELY the problem and whatever tech said it was tint is lying through his teeth and just didn't want to fix it.

good luck, hope this helps.
I will respond in a week or so and let you all know if it's still good.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Forgot to add: those of you with manual window cranks, which are probably "sloppy/loose", I did not see any "fix" for this, recommend replacement of the window crank mechanism if it's real bad.

This is now my 2nd company truck and both squeaked and both had loose window crank handles.

My personnel truck has power windows with only 33,000mi and does not squeak so, it may be something that happens after a lot of usage

Old 05-03-2009, 12:54 PM
so i am guessing this fix is for the power windows too! good deal! all 4 of my windows sqeek and very annoying.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by jimmy k

Just pulled the door panel on my company truck. I did take pics but, I'm not too good w/ posting them(I will try later but, don't count on them) sorry

The problem seems to be a lack of proper lubricant. Simple once the door panel is removed.

Basically, all you need is a can of white lithium grease spray, about an hour and some basic hand tools. After lubricating many,many garage doors, I will tell you that white lith grease is MUCH better and longer lasting than WD40(which can make the squeak worse believe it or not)

Behind the manual window crank is a nylon pully and a spool of braided cable. the cable winds around 4 other nylon pullys(one at each far corner of the door panel)

Absolutely nothing to do with window tint(mine dosen't have any) or weather stripping.

To remove the panel on mine, I removed the torx screw on the crank handle, removed the two exposed bottom screws, the two bolts behind the handle screw cover, the exposed screw right under the arm rest, the speaker cover and speaker, then lifted straight up. The panel has "hooked fingers" to latch the panel in place.Obviously, it will be a little harder with power windows.

Be very careful removing the door panel as I broke one of the plastic "fingers". Did not seem to affect anything that I can tell.

May want to be carful on spraying the grease as I went ape s@#% and sprayed everything so, I will probably have to keep cleaning the glass for the next week :o

This is DEFINITELY the problem and whatever tech said it was tint is lying through his teeth and just didn't want to fix it.

Did yours squeak only when it was hot outside/in the sun, or all the time?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
mine does it too. Drives me crazy been doing it for quite a while.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by Banedog
Did yours squeak only when it was hot outside/in the sun, or all the time?
did it all the time. Somedays were worse but, I didn't pay attention as to the weather when it was worse

Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 AM
love it 300 post saying my windows squeak and one post telling everyone how to fix it. Go get'er done.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 AM
It worked!!!

Originally Posted by jimmy k

Hats off to Jimmy K!! Worked perfectly

Took the door apart and started at the top first by removing the weatherstripping... then lubing the top rollers... then the tracks... rolling the window up and down each time to see what fixed it. Everything stayed the same (squeaking) until I got to the bottom rollers. Specifically the one furthest from the door hinge. After I lubed that one... QUIET!!!

That was the least likely place it "sounded" like it was coming from also. You have saved a bunch of people a bunch of guess work!

Guess the only question now will be... which form of lube will last the longest before it comes back? If it comes back...

Thanks again!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine does this also. the passenger is alot louder than the driver side. this only happends on hot days when the trucks been sitting in the sun it drives me nuts. i will be taking the door panels off this weekend and adding lube!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Banedog
Hats off to Jimmy K!! Worked perfectly

Took the door apart and started at the top first by removing the weatherstripping... then lubing the top rollers... then the tracks... rolling the window up and down each time to see what fixed it. Everything stayed the same (squeaking) until I got to the bottom rollers. Specifically the one furthest from the door hinge. After I lubed that one... QUIET!!!

That was the least likely place it "sounded" like it was coming from also. You have saved a bunch of people a bunch of guess work!

Guess the only question now will be... which form of lube will last the longest before it comes back? If it comes back...

Thanks again!
No problem,glad to help! I sure hope it dosen't come back but, I believe the lithium grease will last. I think anything too light will leak out.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 PM
I need to try this as my Drivers window makes the noise.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
SILICONE SPRAY.....works the best and lasts the longest with no annoying residue..get it at ur local parts suppliers.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by grassmanfx4
I noticed after a couple of sunny weeks here in vancouver that my rear windows on screw do it and not my 2 front windows.
Sunny weeks? In May? You sure you were in Vancouver?

Now that I know what it actually is, I'ma break out that can of silicone lubricant and spray the tracks down. Thanks Jimmy K.

Quick Reply: Windows Squeeking