2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck broken into, Alarm system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck broken into, Alarm system?

Hey yall, on Sunday I was parked outside the movie theater and my truck along with about 4 other cars got broken into. The thief punched my lock in and dug through my glove box and console however didn't take anything from my truck but just moved stuff around. I was relieved to find out he stole nothing but still a little mad about my lock being punched in.

Oh and go figure there would be no cameras near the parking lot I was in.

But anyway:
I was under the impression our trucks would have some kind of alarm if someone broke in? Maybe I am just clueless(probably), but my Dad and I were both a little confused how it didn't make any noise at all. If our trucks have no alarm system could anyone point me in the right direction to get one that works alright but doesn't cost an arm and leg to get?

Truck is a 2005 Lariat by the way.

Thanks yall

Old 02-18-2009, 12:38 AM
i also found out the hard way that our trucks usually dont come with alarms ,just a pretty flashing red light lol,go get yourself a real alarm

Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 AM

Ya my dad always thought that little flashing light meant it had an alarm that would go crazy. He was a little perplexed when it didn't do anything.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Suspended
There are a number of alarms out there. Depends on how much you wanna spend and what features you want. I.E. Remote start, windows roll down, glass breakage, 2way remote, color screen, vehicle finder, ect.

I have the viper 7900 color screen 2 way remote. It will beep and tell me if something happens and I am up to a mile a way (in a parkign lot, lol). Its nice because I can start the truck from inside the house or when leaving school and its ready by the time I get there. Ive got glass breakage sensors, proximity sensors (dont reccomend them, lol, I turned them off), window up/down, remote start, multiple shock sensors located throughout cab, and a total of 3 sirens. 2 outside, 1 inside right under the dash. The other day my key died and I had to disarm my alarm by the kill button. That was so painful, I couldnt hear for a while and my head hurt horribly. I knew where my override button was and just tryign to access it with a full siren blaring at me and 2 other ones outside freaking out where plenty to deter me from my own truck, lol.

Nothing is going to stop a crook but i can sure as hell make it difficult. I want to get jimmy jammers eventually to prevent the shove screw driver in door trick. or I may just device a way to cover the lock but keep the keyless entry.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrett
Ya my dad always thought that little flashing light meant it had an alarm that would go crazy. He was a little perplexed when it didn't do anything.
What's the last time you saw an alarm go off and anyone paid any attention? I've seen them dozens of times going off in the parking lot and people don't even look in that direction. If it makes ya feel better, do it. Don't expect anyone including the thief to worry about it though.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 AM
The red light is for the PATS system (Passive Anti-Theft System) in your truck , your key has a chip in that must be programmed for your vehicle for it to start, your truck's contents are another matter.
Most of the time I believe alarms are a waste of money and annoyance to the rest of the neighborhood when they go off all the stinkn' time. It's not going to stop anybody doing a smash and grab.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wakethor
The red light is for the PATS system (Passive Anti-Theft System) in your truck , your key has a chip in that must be programmed for your vehicle for it to start, your truck's contents are another matter.
Most of the time I believe alarms are a waste of money and annoyance to the rest of the neighborhood when they go off all the stinkn' time. It's not going to stop anybody doing a smash and grab.
Thanks Wakethor, Didn't know that was what the light actually was for specifically.

and squirtbottle09, thanks for the info. Sounds like a nice system. Ill look into that.

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 AM
I posted this on another thread but I put the Viper 5901 in my 07 Screw last week and love it! I got mine off of amazon for $200 and found a shop in tampa,fl to install for $185! I have not found it anywhere else cheaper than that. This alarm has more than you will ever need! I would definitly recommend!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wakethor
Alarms go off all the stinking time when they aren't set up right. Mine doesn't go off all the stinking time.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I found it best to replace the door handles with buckets that have no key cylinder to punch out

Old 03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Barrett
If our trucks have no alarm system could anyone point me in the right direction to get one that works alright but doesn't cost an arm and leg to get?
Check with Travis at www.kcautosound.com or (816) 868-2481

I have installed a few CA310 add-on alarm systems from him . It will tie into your existing keyless entry system and uses your factory remote control. It gives you door sensing and a impact/shock sensor. You can easily add a glass-break sensor or even a tilt sensor. Unit costs you $110. Travis charges an additional $25 for his time to wire-prep it for installation and creates a step-by-step installation guide that will tell you how to dismantle your truck, where the wires are, what color they are and what readings they will give you with a test light or volt meter. He's also available for tech help via phone, text, or email if you get jammed up.

The alarm systems step up from there depending on features or if you want to add a remote start.

Last edited by DirtyDoggT; 03-14-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Travis is the man...... I got my CA670 from him and with 2 sirens, 2 shock sensors, digital tilt module and train horns hooked up plus factory horn, all im missing is a siren on the inside and thank god i don't take my truck anywhere i don't trust but again you never know!!!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I concur in recommending Travis. I bought my alarm from him 4 years ago and installed it using his DETAILED instructions. It was an almost painless process. You can rely on him for accurate information at fair prices while delivering excellent service.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:41 PM
door handle

I was thinking of trying to make the drivers rear outer door handle work on the front... no key, and just make a spot for the keyless entry... or do away with the keyless too. and just use the remote. You'd have to know where the spare is, and keep the battery fresh.... but no keypad, and no key hole.....the only thing better would be no handle and just have door poppers.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I know my alarm has saved me at least one break-in. My alarm system has a dual shock sensor meaning the first time someone messes with my truck I'll get an alert on my LED display, the second time and the alarm will sound. I was at a Radio Shack one day and got an alert so I go outside and notice a guy walking away from my truck. So I walk out and notice some scratches near the keyhole. He got in a car near my truck and drove off. Pretty sure without my alert and walking out he would have continued what he was doing and would have broken into my truck.

Nothing will stop a thief if they want something inside your vehicle bad enough. Best piece of advice anyone will give you is to keep your cab clean and leave nothing out in the open for a thief to spot.

Quick Reply: Truck broken into, Alarm system?