2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 Won't Start All The Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Won't Start All The Time

I just recently started having this problem. I can drive someplace turn truck off get back in & it will start while other times nothing. I turn the key & nothing happens no noise what so ever. My radio & accessories turn on. I had the battey looked at. Does anyone have any idea what I can check before I take it the dealship? I have 4.6 Automatic 2005 STX model.
Thanks for any comments in advance.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Well... it could be a faulty starter, something with the PATS or ECU, or else it is indeed a bad battery.

Since it is a 2005, and it is currently 2009, I recommend getting that battery changed. I'm assuming you haven't, by the fact that you said, you "had the battery looked at". I can look at a battery too... and test it, but it does necessarily mean it's good still.

IF you already replaced it recently, then I'd go with taking it to the dealers to have it examined, if under warranty. IF not, then look for the obvious... might be corroded starter wires, might even be with the COPs.

How many miles do you got on this little bugger?

If you got close to 100k, I'd suggest doing the plugs. It's not that hard... but I suggest, if you've never done any mechanical work before, take it to a shop and change the plugs.

But let's start with the small stuff, like replacing the battery, then working your way up.

Remember, even though your lights, radio, and accessories work, DOES NOT necessarily mean your battery is good enough to have the cranking amps to start the engine. Meaning that running your radio is a joke to the battery compared to turning that key to START.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 AM
try putting it into neutral and cranking it over again, i have a similar problem, same exact thing happens to me but when i put it in neutral or put in another gear and then back into park, it will start.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 AM
My truck has 27,500 miles on it. I tried jumping the vehicle when this happens but no luck. Also, I have tried putting in neutral & starting just in case the neutral safety switch is faulty. It happens only ride after I drive somewhere & let it cool down for 5 mins or so. Then it starts up, I want to try something before I take it the dealer since it is out of warranty.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only thing I can think of is the neutral start switch, unless the PCM need reflashed, might have a computer problem.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I think you have an electromechanical problem vs an electronic problem.

The key factor here is that you are not getting any noise at all. I know the computer doesnt controll the sarter. Does the PATS in some way?

I think you have a problem with the:
Starter - Bad Spot in the wiring
Solenoid - intermittent operation
Keyswitch - intermittent operation
Neutral/Park switch - intermittent operation

I suggest moving from park to neutral if the vehicle wont start. Try that first.
Then move on to starter.

How often would you say that it wont start? If the truck does not click at all, check these items.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 AM
So if i have to move it into park, or our out of park and back into park to get it to start, does that mean its the neutral switch or my trans cable too sine my truck is lifted?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by edgespeeder06
So if i have to move it into park, or our out of park and back into park to get it to start, does that mean its the neutral switch or my trans cable too sine my truck is lifted?
If you are getting positive and consistent gear selection, sounds like your reverse switch. If you have a suspension lift, there is no modification to your tranny/cable relationship. If you have a body lift, thats another story.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM
To the OP, I was experiencing the same symptoms on my truck not too long ago. My battery was bad and fuel filter was clogged.

Change the fuel filter, and have the battery tested. Everything from there just gets more expensive.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try to find TSB 06-19-14 It refers to a terminal on the starter for no crank conditions.

Quick Reply: 2005 Won't Start All The Time