2004 - 2008 F-150

Opinions regarding 6" lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ATOM
visually they look horrible after you lift one of those the front tires stick out like 3 inches further. looks horrible, only real way to fix it is with spacers.

DirtBound has a rize and his truck has been MOLESTED and he don't have any issues with his rize. the ball bearing steering setup they got is awesome, steer 37's like stock tires. there are so many guys running it on here and i don't hear nothing bad. FX4life, Neuspeed, i can't even think of all the guys.
hahah, molested is good word choice for that thing. Anybody on here remember captain morgan? The guy with the black truck with the bald mud grapplers and all the scratches up and down both sides? two peas in a pod there.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by tnsilverfx4
hahah, molested is good word choice for that thing. Anybody on here remember captain morgan? The guy with the black truck with the bald mud grapplers and all the scratches up and down both sides? two peas in a pod there.
guess that's what they built 'em for. don't forget Josiah, that truck has been to hell and back and it' still taking a *** whooping

Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here is a shot to show the difference in track width:

The spacers are 1" each, approx. I just measured my wheel width front and rear, rear was 2" narrow over the front. 1" each side.

So, 1" spacers in the rear would work. I personally don't mind. You don't notice unless you really start staring and looking it up and down. Average Joe wont notice.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:36 PM

sorry for the thread jack but,

quick question on track width, while on the topic

when the fabtech kit widens the front track width , does that mean there is more clearance between the tire and control arm?

i too have the 7005's 20x9.5 though they have 5.25 backspacing

with 35/12.5R20 toyo mt's

theres about an inch or so clearance between the tire and control arm and im curious if i go with the fabtech, it would allow use of a slightly wider tire ?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by MercedesTech
here is a shot to show the difference in track width:

The spacers are 1" each, approx. I just measured my wheel width front and rear, rear was 2" narrow over the front. 1" each side.

So, 1" spacers in the rear would work. I personally don't mind. You don't notice unless you really start staring and looking it up and down. Average Joe wont notice.
What size and offset on your PC's? 17x9, 4.5"?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by TN-F150
What size and offset on your PC's? 17x9, 4.5"?
They are the 8023 series. 18x9.5 w/ 4.75" of backspacing.

Tires are 305 70 R18

IDNC: I see what your saying, it makes sense, and I think you'd be right, but to be honest I'm not 100%. I will check for you. The upper control arm doesn't move, so you'd think you gained clearance, but with the new knuckle I don't know.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:41 PM

IDNC: I see what your saying, it makes sense, and I think you'd be right, but to be honest I'm not 100%. I will check for you. The upper control arm doesn't move, so you'd think you gained clearance, but with the new knuckle I don't know.
thanks MT, please let me know, i need to know if i need new wheels or not

Last edited by IDNC76; 12-30-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:18 PM
looks like the upper control arm shouldn't be a problem at all:

I know its not the best quality, but workin with what I got ! Hope these help. Looks like you might start rubbing the knuckle itself if you go too wide though. I am sure wandell can help you with any other questions regarding wheels/tires and backspacing. That guy knows that stuff in and out. Very impressive.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 PM

looks like the upper control arm shouldn't be a problem at all:

I know its not the best quality, but workin with what I got ! Hope these help. Looks like you might start rubbing the knuckle itself if you go too wide though. I am sure wandell can help you with any other questions regarding wheels/tires and backspacing. That guy knows that stuff in and out. Very impressive.
thanks alot MT, i really appreciate it

i guess the only real way to know is to wait and put the lift on , and go from there

Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by IDNC76
thanks alot MT, i really appreciate it

i guess the only real way to know is to wait and put the lift on , and go from there
Don't mention it ! Its what the site is for. Like I said, wandell and others would have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. :santa:

Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would/do notice though

when I lifted my 93 Bronco and 94 F-150 I almost got different rims for the front/back so they would look proportional...it annoys the hell out of me for some reason

thanks for the awesome pics

Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Tylus
I would/do notice though

me too. it bugs me every fricking day. see the back tires flush with the rea bushwackers and the front's sticking out oh i can't wait for a solid axle

Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
I would/do notice though

when I lifted my 93 Bronco and 94 F-150 I almost got different rims for the front/back so they would look proportional...it annoys the hell out of me for some reason

thanks for the awesome pics
if i were in the market for both a lift and wheels, i would get a fabtech lift, 2 wheels with 5in of backspacing, and 2 with 4in of backspacing

Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
if i were in the market for both a lift and wheels, i would get a fabtech lift, 2 wheels with 5in of backspacing, and 2 with 4in of backspacing
would be good in most cases, but then I'd have to get my tires unmounted/swapped/remounted every few thousand miles for rotational purposes

my S/C'er will eat mudders alive...so I'm betting I'll be doing frequent rotations to keep the wear even

still think I'm going to do the ProComp in the end. Best price, easy to install...but I like the way the Superlift looks in Pimps truck

Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
would be good in most cases, but then I'd have to get my tires unmounted/swapped/remounted every few thousand miles for rotational purposes

my S/C'er will eat mudders alive...so I'm betting I'll be doing frequent rotations to keep the wear even

still think I'm going to do the ProComp in the end. Best price, easy to install...but I like the way the Superlift looks in Pimps truck
i didnt think about rotating... i'm spoiled in that i have a friend with a tire shop.

Quick Reply: Opinions regarding 6" lifts