2004 - 2008 F-150

If you have a 4X4 please read this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a 4X4 please read this!

I recently had problems shifting into four wheel drive (automatic 4x4 shifter ***) When i selected 4x4 it did not shift in and it didn't matter if it was hi or low. I took my truck into the dealership and was surprised by what i was told. According to the salesmen a rubber hose (vac. line) that goes and connects to the front hub was knocked off by mud and when i tried to shift into 4x4 it sucked in dirt and mud. Now I hadn't used the 4x4 for months and my truck never see's mud. 300 dollars later I ended up having to replace the 4x4 solenoid and had to pay the tech to clean my line out. So what I'm saying is take the time to inspect all those vaccum lines that are going to you front hubs because according to ford there is no warranty on that problem and its your fault for driving a truck with inproperly secured vaccum lines leading to the front hubs.

p.s. And the stupid thing is that these lines have nothin on them to keep them tightly connected

Old 11-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your dealer is either lying to you or totally misinformed. If it was disconnected, you would have heard a grinding noise from the front IWE (hub). The default position for the IWE's is locked. It uses vacuum to unlock them for 2wd use.
It should have been covered under warranty.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah your dealer lied to you...doesnt make sense

Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Your dealer is either lying to you or totally misinformed. If it was disconnected, you would have heard a grinding noise from the front IWE (hub). The default position for the IWE's is locked. It uses vacuum to unlock them for 2wd use.
It should have been covered under warranty.
he is 100% correct, When i lifted my truck, i had a buddy putting those lines on and he didnt take the vac line out of the clams to give it more room, he just stretched it and it came off without my knowledge, so now im driving down the street and everytime i go faster than 10 MPH i hear a horrid grinding noise, i couldnt figure it out at first but further looking it got it. It was not nice.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:11 PM
TNC
Get your money back.

Or cancel payment. Like has been said, default is engaged. That way, with a failure ( like lines broken or whatever) in the middle of nowhere, you have 4X if needed. If your line was off or clogged, you'd be hearing this grinding sound. Almost sounds like something winding up. There's no way you wouldn't have noticed it.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:22 PM
i check my hub lines everytime i rotate tires, theres no zip-tie or anything to hold them on so i can see how they could fall off easily

Old 11-28-2008, 01:08 AM
is here anything i can put on those lines like a hose clamp or zip tie or something to secure them better? I think those are 2 in 1 lines or something

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
On My 2005 f150 4X4 4.6 truck I noticed the vacuum line to the drivers side hub is disconnected under the hood below the air filter and I cant see where it is supposed to go. Can somebody out there please look under there hood and tell me where it is supposed to connect. It comes up from the driver side wheel then joins up with the one from the pasengers side then there is a single line dangling under the airfilter and I cant see where it is supposed to connect. I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by irock2
On My 2005 f150 4X4 4.6 truck I noticed the vacuum line to the drivers side hub is disconnected under the hood below the air filter and I cant see where it is supposed to go. Can somebody out there please look under there hood and tell me where it is supposed to connect. It comes up from the driver side wheel then joins up with the one from the pasengers side then there is a single line dangling under the airfilter and I cant see where it is supposed to connect. I would very much appreciate it. Thanks
I have the samething and I freaked out because I couldnt see where it went. It goes nowhere, its a vent line. Your good.

Quick Reply: If you have a 4X4 please read this!