2004 - 2008 F-150

Blown Head Gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Yes, I checked it, and it seemed fine.

Well, since it is a very small leak, and very slow, I am. But I am just horrified of them if they don't put it back together correctly. I think I want to ask for an extended warranty on the engine at least... maybe an extension of 12k/12m on my factory warranty for the engine, just in case.

--------------

Anyhow, I snapped like 150 pictures of the engine compartment, and got all sides of the engine, the top, bottom, left, and right. I took pictures of EVERYTHING. This way if it comes out of the shop damaged or filthy, I will demand that they take care of it.

I had an experience when I had my Escape, and when they were doing I think either the 2nd or 3rd transmission, the shop pretty much bathed my engine in Mercon. I was ticked! I made them clean it! Not only that, but when they took the transmission out, they had to support the engine I guess, and they bent the engine compartment from this engine holder. If they do anything like this to my truck, I got proof that it wasn't there before they screwed with anything. In fact, I am going as far as putting a sign in the engine compartment that states:

1. Please be considerate! The owner of this truck works on this vehicle. Please do not make a mess of the engine bay, as there are expectations of when the truck is finished, is to look the same as when it came in.
2. Any damages done will NOT be tolerated. As photographs have been taken to prove any discrepencies before work was initiated.
3. Ensure ALL tools, rags, and other items are removed from the engine compartment.
4. When filling fluids, do NOT spill ANY on engine or on ANY surface. Ensure they are filled to correct capacities.
5. When finished, ensure the job has been done right and in accordance to the service manual and factory specifications. Please, just fix the problem. ANY issues will NOT be tolerated.
6. Do NOT wash truck, as there is equipment mounted to the truck that could easily break.
7. There is radio equipment in the truck, please DO NOT turn ANY of it on or even touch it. It is a violation of FCC rules for unauthorized users.
8. IF there are any questions, concerns, or problems, please contact the owner of this truck at XXX-XXX-XXXX, and ask for Chuck.
9. Currently the problem with this truck has been posted on a public forum with 138,844 members. If you would like to read the owner's experience before hand, after hand, please follow this link:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ad-gasket.html
As any good, bad, or indifferent experiences will be publically known, along with an exact copy of the work done. Please make this service center shine!

Hopefully that sets them straight.

I hope they do not mess anything up. I just want them to fix the problem and do nothing else.
If you feel like that, then you need to find another shop. I took my truck to a local dealership to have some preventive maintenace done and I was NOT happy with the work done. Now I drive an extra 15 miles to the next one. Who cares if it's 15or 50 miles away. I have made it a point to make friends with my service advisor. I email him before I'm coming in so that he knows I'm coming and he can start the ticket....and when I call, he know's who I am.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by bjp207
yeah my head kinda hurts too...

as for the e-brake....dude are you all there? never in my wildest dreams would I decide to put my foot as close to the side of the truck as possible and push in a pedal when I had no shifter to shift and no pedal even remotely close to where a clutch would be.

I drove a standard from the ages of 16-21 and I could hop into an automatic and have no problems...I would have the occasional reach for the emergency brake release...thats it...I operate heavy equipment for a living...I can hop from a backhoe with deere controls to an excavator with ISO Cat controls and not miss a beat...How is it that you push an e-brake instead of a clutch because you are so "used to" a standard?...

AAAAAAND then you say you flattened out the tires???? what were you doing just taking a 5 mile drive with your rear tires locked up for s&g??? and how much pressure do you have to put on your clutch...you have to slam an e-brake to the floor with alot of pressure to get the wheels to lock up...

Are you trying to impress us?
The ebrake on the Ford Edge is very close to where a clutch would be. Why they did that is beyond me as it is quite dangerous. The other thing was to disengage the ebrake, you have to push on the pedal again, and I was looking around for a release like on my truck and any other vehicle I've driven and it wasn't there.

In this case I panicked, and the first thing I learned driving standard is to disengage the clutch and go to neutral while braking. Not sure if you've ever drove a M5OD, but the clutch is relatively stiff. Hence why I slammed the ebrake, but I got more paranoid when I was looking to put a shifter into neutral and it wasn't going. I used a lot of force because it wasn't going and I was scared for obvious reasons.

The tires got a flat spot in them from the tread being sanded off by the road when the ebrake was on. It wasn't too bad, but the rear was riding quirky.

I'm not the only one who does this either... my friend ripped his mom's Maxima shifter off after having some idiot run him off the road.

Originally Posted by kjohnson1
What in the world were you doing with that '03 Escape and how was it equiped? I bought my wife a new '03 Escape XLS V6 Automatic. It now has just over 66K miles on it and no major problems. I even towed a trailer with it for some time before buying my used '04 F150 a year ago. So, I've asked the Escape to do some work.
It was an '03 Ford Escape XLT with the 4 speed auto AT transaxle with Control TracII 4x4, tow package, with the extending roof rack package. It was loaded up too. Auto everything, 6 cd mp3, etc... Every 15k the tranny, like clock work, would die. I would be driving home, and suddenly the O/D off light would begin flashing, then like 2 minutes would go by, and I would lose 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and O/D... hence I could floor the little bugger, and it wouldn't go anywhere in R, D, 2, or 1. Somehow the line pressures always got too high and would bust the pump. They think it was from my driving habits, and they actually recommended me getting a stick for my usage requirements. So I bought the F150 and I have yet to have a problem with the tranny. Plus I always complained to them that thing would accelerate at 3k rpms all the time... it was annoying. A car should never need to go beyond 2000 rpms -- ever, under normal driving.

My F150 has never seen 2500+ rpms -- ever. Why? It doesn't need to.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyhow, I snapped like 150 pictures of the engine compartment, and got all sides of the engine, the top, bottom, left, and right. I took pictures of EVERYTHING. This way if it comes out of the shop damaged or filthy, I will demand that they take care of it.

I had an experience when I had my Escape, and when they were doing I think either the 2nd or 3rd transmission, the shop pretty much bathed my engine in Mercon. I was ticked! I made them clean it! Not only that, but when they took the transmission out, they had to support the engine I guess, and they bent the engine compartment from this engine holder. If they do anything like this to my truck, I got proof that it wasn't there before they screwed with anything. In fact, I am going as far as putting a sign in the engine compartment that states:

1. Please be considerate! The owner of this truck works on this vehicle. Please do not make a mess of the engine bay, as there are expectations of when the truck is finished, is to look the same as when it came in.
2. Any damages done will NOT be tolerated. As photographs have been taken to prove any discrepencies before work was initiated.
3. Ensure ALL tools, rags, and other items are removed from the engine compartment.
4. When filling fluids, do NOT spill ANY on engine or on ANY surface. Ensure they are filled to correct capacities.
5. When finished, ensure the job has been done right and in accordance to the service manual and factory specifications. Please, just fix the problem. ANY issues will NOT be tolerated.
6. Do NOT wash truck, as there is equipment mounted to the truck that could easily break.
7. There is radio equipment in the truck, please DO NOT turn ANY of it on or even touch it. It is a violation of FCC rules for unauthorized users.
8. IF there are any questions, concerns, or problems, please contact the owner of this truck at XXX-XXX-XXXX, and ask for Chuck.
9. Currently the problem with this truck has been posted on a public forum with 138,844 members. If you would like to read the owner's experience before hand, after hand, please follow this link:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ad-gasket.html
As any good, bad, or indifferent experiences will be publically known, along with an exact copy of the work done. Please make this service center shine!

Hopefully that sets them straight.

I hope they do not mess anything up. I just want them to fix the problem and do nothing else.
I'd tell 'em to FOAD if I found something like that in a customer's vehicle.

I don't go around telling you how to do your job; give those guys working on your truck the same goddamn common courtesy. Or better yet, find another dealership you trust to do it, or even better yet, fix it yer-damn-self.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Suspended

My F150 has never seen 2500+ rpms -- ever. Why? It doesn't need to.
Engines need to be revved up every so often. It's not good for an engine never to see the upper 60% of its RPM band

Old 10-10-2008, 05:45 PM

However, the interesting part... I should never drive an automatic... ever! First I accidently set the ebrake while going 70 mph when I was attempting to downshift... but there was no clutch; there was an ebrake. Secondly, when I panicked, I tore the shifter off... tore it off in the sense that the whole unit popped out of the center console. As I am screeching down a 65 mph road, there are a few cars behind me, and they veer off to not to rear end me. Here's the funny thing: I didn't know how to undo the parking brake. I was looking for a lever or a switch or something, I didn't know you had to press down on it again... but it took me like 2 or 3 minutes to figure it out, and it didn't help that I was stuck in the middle of a busy highway with people nearly rearending me every minute or so, and lots of looks, beeps, and the such. When I got destinated, I noticed that the rear tires were out of round, contributing to the aweful noise I was hearing after my little incident.

I told the service manager when I returned the Edge about what happened. He chuckled, and said, "it happens, as I've done that once or twice myself".

i hope you joking....why in the world would you need to downshift doing 70 mph???? what gear were you and and what were you trying to get to??? at 70 mph you should have been in top (5th or 6th) gear period....

i think someone was driving the dog***** out of a loaner....then thought of a reason to explain away why it now has flat spots on the tires....

Old 10-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we need to make a "Driving an automatic for DUMMIES" for manual f150since he feels it is nessecary to treat technicians like elementary school kids. I never realized that people actually needed such a detailed set of instructions on how to operate a simple piece of machinery...thanks manual, you gave me the missing puzzle piece to why they are needed.

Step 1: Enter Automobile by placing your right leg on the seat followed by your rear end and then left leg.

Step 2: Assume a comfortable position(one that is not uncomforable)

Step 3: Notice the location of the two(2, II, dos, 3-1, 4/2, etc...) pedals located near your feet. They are all you need to push on to make this AUTOMATIC automobile move. Left is brake which stops the automobile with a corresponding amount of pressure. Right is the accelerator which makes the vehicle accelerate(how fitting) with a corresponding amount of pressure. Notice there is no CLUTCH to push

Step 4: Locate the Gear Selector ****(usually located to the right of your leg or on the column that the steering wheel is on(steering column). To move forward, usually the brake is applied and the gear selector is moved down 3 notches to D. If the desired direction is reverse, the selector is moved one notch from park down to R.

Step 5: After the desired gear is selected, apply the accelerator and drive as you have been taught, obeying all laws. If you feel the desire to think you are cool and "accidentally" push the emergency brake because there were so many clues leading you to believe that the automobile needed a clutch to be pushed, find the nearest spot to pull over and seriously contemplate your intelligence.

If anyone would like to add anything, Ill gladly add you to the authors list.

Last edited by bjp207; 10-10-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 PM

You guys are 100% right, I'm such an idiot. But that's what I was originally pointing at. My own pure idiocracy.

Anyhoo, I'm starting to notice a small wetness of oil around the gasket, so I'm going to drive it a few more days and it should be good enough to see. But we'll see. Although I am not thoroughly convinced on what is causing it and that is what's bothering me.

I think I am going have a good friend of mine who runs his own shop to look at it. If it wasn't under warranty, I'd let him work on it, but since it's under warranty, he won't touch it with 10 foot pole because he said it is free if I do it under a dealer and he would feel like he'd be stealing money from me.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are 100% right, I'm such an idiot.
My night is complete

Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Hell this thread is better then reading one of my wifes girl mags while in the crapper!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
However, the interesting part... I should never drive an automatic... ever! First I accidently set the ebrake while going 70 mph when I was attempting to downshift... but there was no clutch; there was an ebrake. Secondly, when I panicked, I tore the shifter off... tore it off in the sense that the whole unit popped out of the center console. As I am screeching down a 65 mph road, there are a few cars behind me, and they veer off to not to rear end me. Here's the funny thing: I didn't know how to undo the parking brake. I was looking for a lever or a switch or something, I didn't know you had to press down on it again... but it took me like 2 or 3 minutes to figure it out, and it didn't help that I was stuck in the middle of a busy highway with people nearly rearending me every minute or so, and lots of looks, beeps, and the such. When I got destinated, I noticed that the rear tires were out of round, contributing to the aweful noise I was hearing after my little incident.

I told the service manager when I returned the Edge about what happened. He chuckled, and said, "it happens, as I've done that once or twice myself".
I didn't even notice this part the first time around.

Dude, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really did what you just typed, you're a f'kin' idiot.

Seek help.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
Hell this thread is better then reading one of my wifes girl mags while in the crapper!
I hope you meant on the crapper.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Quintin
I didn't even notice this part the first time around.

Dude, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really did what you just typed, you're a f'kin' idiot.

Seek help.
Sorry, I am. No doubts about it.

But if you look at the Edge's ebrake placement, its close enough to be a clutch for me. I don't think I would've done it if the car didn't have a console shifter. I think that was what messed me up. I think this is like my second car I've ever driven with an automatic that had a console shifter. If it wasn't there, it might not have happened. It's just a reaction that I've got. At least I avoided rearending someone.

Oh and the reason I was looking to downshift was to gain a little engine braking. I don't think I was going to hit neutral, but I might have intended that instead. I was more worried about what was in front of me before worrying what was wrong inside of the vehicle. Like 30 seconds after I did it, I was like what the heck?! Then I was like... oh, whoops. Stupid dummy. That was when I panicked to try to get the ebrake off which took me like 2 to 3 minutes to read the directions on the pedal! At least I didn't say screw it and leave it on and drive around like that all day.

Not to deter from the topic, I didn't like the Edge's shift strategy at all. It seemed to stay up there in the rpms way too high. It had a great 0-30 but after that, it fell flat on its face. I literally had to floor it to pass someone, where as in my truck I could stay in 5th and pass them like they were standing still doing 70 mph. I wasn't happy about that.

So anyways... back to the topic... last thing I need to do is to see this go into GD, as it already is, it got swayed into like 2 directions.

I got under the truck again tonight, and I think I've figured it out... it's not coming from in between the upper or lower portion, it's coming from right in the middle of the gasket.

Does anyone know what Ford is using as a material for their head gaskets?

Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
I hope you meant on the crapper.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket!