2004 - 2008 F-150

Bushwacker extend a flares issues???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushwacker extend a flares issues???

I have bushwacker extend a flares on my truck.....for about five months now. They are getting looser and looser by the day. im afraid they are going to fall off while driving down the road. The upper portion of them is just held against the truck by pressure....and now they are kind of wearing out i guess....so they kind of just sit there flapping in the wind in some spots....i dont know how to explain it well....those who have them and know how they mount on the truck might understand what im trying to say.....anyways anyone have some ideas what to do before they come flying off at interstate speeds!

Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I have the pocket flares and would assume they mount the same.

The front sometimes loosen on mine along the top. I just back off on all the screws in the fender wells, push up on the flare (like when you installed them originally) and re-tighten everything. I think the heat tends to make them flex some with age. You just kinda have to re-set them.

Never had a problem with the rear though, as they mount differently and seem to stay secure.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

My pocket flares have been on now for ten months now and ive had zero problems. Id suggest re-tightening the screws as mentioned above.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:36 PM
I had the same trouble when I put mine on. What I did was just take off those plastic fasteners and use a short bolt with a couple of washers a nut and a lock washer. Mine have been on for over 2 years now and no troublde since I did that. If you really dont want them to come off, you could use some locktight on the bolts if you choose to go that route.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ferguson41
I had the same trouble when I put mine on. What I did was just take off those plastic fasteners and use a short bolt with a couple of washers a nut and a lock washer. Mine have been on for over 2 years now and no troublde since I did that. If you really dont want them to come off, you could use some locktight on the bolts if you choose to go that route.
x2 on that, the front mounting is a joke. i found some stainless steel bolts that matched the "rivets" perfectly.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:21 AM
good info.....i got some clips from a body shop that slide over the bracket so i could put bolts in there.....super solid, them suckers arent going anywhere.....bushwacker should provide clips and bolts in the first place....plastic push in inserts are crap for a purpose like that

Quick Reply: Bushwacker extend a flares issues???