2004 - 2008 F-150

Anyone Changed Out The Heater Core?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Changed Out The Heater Core?

I am at the end of the tear down phase of this task and now I have a few questions.. I have the entire dash removed and I am ready to remove the heater core housing, does the entire housing need to come off and would I have to disconnect any air conditioning lines? Also, how do you get a disconnect tool between the fire wall and the heater hose line? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated & thanks in advance.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you shouldnt need to touch the AC lines. (let me look up some stuff real quick)

What part of Austin are you in? I wouldnt mind coming by and lending a hand

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes the whole box has to come out and yes you have to evacuate the a/c system. If the heater hose retainers have a black end with a white retainer, you will have to pinch the white retaining clips towards each other and pull the black end off of the tube. Then take off the white retainer so it will not catch on the fire wall. After you get the box out then you can disassimble the box.

Last edited by Milton Long; 09-23-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Global Moderator &

CAUTION: Refrigerant Compressor Oil (Mineral Oil) F73Z-19577-AA (Motorcraft YN-9-A) should be used to lubricate R-134a refrigerant system O-ring seals only and should not be added to R-134a refrigerant systems as an A/C compressor lubricant. PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil F7AZ-19D589-DA (Motorcraft YN-12-C) or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSH-M1C231-B only should be used as an A/C compressor lubricant.

NOTE: If an evaporator core leak is suspected, the evaporator core must be vacuum leak tested before it is removed from the vehicle.

NOTE: Failure to correctly install the evaporator core seal when installing the evaporator core will result in decreased A/C cooling efficiency due to airflow bypassing the evaporator core.

NOTE: If a heater core leak is suspected, the heater core must be leak tested before it is removed from the vehicle.

NOTE: Installation of a new suction accumulator is not required when repairing the air conditioning system except when there is physical evidence of contamination from a failed A/C compressor or damage to the suction accumulator.

NOTE: New O-ring seals, lubricated in clean mineral oil, must be installed before reconnecting any A/C fitting which has been disconnected.

NOTE: Lubricate the coolant hoses with plain water only if needed.

1. Remove the instrument panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-01 .
2. Remove the suction accumulator. For additional information, refer to Suction Accumulator in this section.
3. Remove the parts in the order indicated in the following illustration and table.
4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
5. Fill the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03 .

Item 3: Heater Hoses Removal Note

Clamp off and disconnect the heater core quick disconnect fittings.
Item 7: Heater Core and Evaporator Core Housing Removal Note

1. Remove the bolt and position the junction box aside

2. NOTE: For vehicles equipped with a rear footwell duct, the heater core and evaporator core housing must be carefully detached from the dash panel and then tilted toward the rear of the vehicle to detach it from the rear footwell duct connection.

Loosen the nut and remove the heater core and evaporator core housing.
A.. Detach the clip.
B. Completely loosen the nut.
C. Remove the heater core and evaporator core housing.

Item 8: Heater Core Removal Note

1. Remove the dash panel seal.
2. Remove the screws and position the temperature blend door actuator aside.
3. Remove the screws and the heater core cover.
4. Remove the heater core.

Item 9: Evaporator Core Removal Note

1. Remove the screws and detach the wire harness from the evaporator core cover.
2. Remove the screws and the blower motor resistor (EMTC) or blower motor speed control (EATC).
3. Remove the bottom evaporator core cover screws.
4. Remove the evaporator core cover screws.
5. Disconnect the air inlet mode door actuator electrical connector.
6. Remove the remaining upper evaporator core covers screws and the evaporator core cover.
7. Remove the evaporator core.
Here's what i pulled off of my Ford service DVD

Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Patman03SprCrw,
I live close to Burnet Rd. and Anderson Ln., but the truck is all the way in Lakeway at my office.. Thank you for your offer to lend me a hand, but I wouldn't want you to have to drive that far unless you were close. And from the looks of things I'm going to have to get a mobile A/C guy to swing by and help me out on this one.. Thanks again for all the help, looks like I got a little work still ahead for me!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Im on the south end (Wm Cannon & mopac area), Lakeway is about a 15 min drive.

Really if you need a hand let me know (email or PM) and we can meet up one evening after i get out of work

Quick Reply: Anyone Changed Out The Heater Core?