2004 - 2008 F-150

Lift help...4" or 6"??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift help...4" or 6"??

OK, I'm looking at the Rancho 4" or one of the 6" kits out there. Any suggestions on which one would be best to run 35's? I really want to go with the 6" but not sure how much drive line mods are needed. The 4" kit seems pretty straight forward but no that much more lift over stock. The 6" kits seem to be about the height I want.

I did a 4" kit on a Jeep several years ago and had to get a slip yoke eliminator kit to get rid of drive shaft vibrations and low speed drive line wobble. Do the F150's require any kind of mods to the drive line?

Any pictures of both kits with 35's would be a big help too. The gallery is so non-user friendly anymore.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Here is my truck with a 4.5 lift and 35"

And here with 6" lift and 35's and a AAL, the lift is a RCD

Last edited by Tuff4rd; 09-21-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:03 PM
was the actual lifting limit for each state?

I am not sure but I think NJ has one of the lowest which I am not even sure of

Old 09-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heres mine 4" Rancho RS5000's at all 4 corners, nothing but a lift, its sit deal level on pavement, gonna throw an 1.5" shackle lift in the back soon. i love my rancho personally handles better than stock. i got a tad over 5 inches of lift. 35" ProComp Xtreme AT's on 20x10's

Last edited by ATOM; 09-21-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:51 AM

Do the 6" lift. I was thinking of going with the 4" lift but very glad i didnt, especially after i parked next to one with the 4 inch the other day.

I have the 6" fabtech and the only drivetrain mod you have to make is with the front driveshaft. You have to grind down the master key, align the slipyokes, and get it rebalanced.

Here's mine:

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Go bigger whenever you can (in other words go with the 6")

Old 09-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 07fx4silver
Go bigger whenever you can (in other words go with the 6")
what lift tire combo do you have? 18's? what lift brand? how do you like it?

Last edited by TN-F150; 09-22-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by TN-F150
what lift tire combo do you have? 18's? what lift brand? how do you like it?
Pro Comp 7005 18x9 on 35x12.5 BFG KM2's. Lift is a Pro Comp stage 1 (with Bilsteins 5100 front and 5150 rear) with their skid plate that has saved me a couple times (damn AZ and their rocks), that I'm sure if I had a Fabtech or a Rize I would have messed up that beautiful crossmember and my transfer case may not be functional right now . Overall, I love the lift and does its job perfectly, but I'll be the first to admit that Fabtech, Rize, etc. makes a higher quality product then Pro Comp, although you'd be had pressed to notice (also, you can have Bilstein's front and rear and the pro comp skid plate for about the same price as a basic fabtech kit) and if you can't get there with a Pro Comp a Fabtech or Rize won't get you there either. Just about any lift out there will make you happy, so choose which you like best/can afford

Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Do the 6" lift. I was thinking of going with the 4" lift but very glad i didnt, especially after i parked next to one with the 4 inch the other day.

I have the 6" fabtech and the only drivetrain mod you have to make is with the front driveshaft. You have to grind down the master key, align the slipyokes, and get it rebalanced.
Nice! Did you do the install or have it done?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Pro Comp 7005 18x9 on 35x12.5 BFG KM2's. Lift is a Pro Comp stage 1 (with Bilsteins 5100 front and 5150 rear) with their skid plate that has saved me a couple times (damn AZ and their rocks), that I'm sure if I had a Fabtech or a Rize I would have messed up that beautiful crossmember and my transfer case may not be functional right now . Overall, I love the lift and does its job perfectly, but I'll be the first to admit that Fabtech, Rize, etc. makes a higher quality product then Pro Comp, although you'd be had pressed to notice (also, you can have Bilstein's front and rear and the pro comp skid plate for about the same price as a basic fabtech kit) and if you can't get there with a Pro Comp a Fabtech or Rize won't get you there either. Just about any lift out there will make you happy, so choose which you like best/can afford
Cool! Yeah, I'm definitely going back with BFG KM2's when I go to 35's. Your truck shows me just how mine will set with 6" lift then. We have the same wheels. The pics of yours when you had the BFG's and stock wheels are one of the factors of my choice to go with the M/T KM2. When did you get the wheels?

One other thing, I've noticed with a couple 6" kits they have a spacer on top of the factory coil over...do the Bilstien eliminate the use of those by being longer or are they factory length? I know the Dirt Logic do this and are adjustable to boot. If they are stock length what's the advantage of the Bilstien over stock if you DO still use the spacer?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Suspended
i would say go with a 4 inch on your truck since you have the short wheel base extended cab. but then again a 6" would be bad *** just not sure how it would look on a shorter wheelbase f150. never seen it done. doesnt mean it wouldnt look really good

Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Cool! Yeah, I'm definitely going back with BFG KM2's when I go to 35's. Your truck shows me just how mine will set with 6" lift then. We have the same wheels. The pics of yours when you had the BFG's and stock wheels are one of the factors of my choice to go with the M/T KM2. When did you get the wheels?

One other thing, I've noticed with a couple 6" kits they have a spacer on top of the factory coil over...do the Bilstien eliminate the use of those by being longer or are they factory length? I know the Dirt Logic do this and are adjustable to boot. If they are stock length what's the advantage of the Bilstien over stock if you DO still use the spacer?
Thanks!! I got the wheels when the lift was put on. My lift uses a spacer but I can adjust my Bilsteins 2" to get a total of 8" of lift (which is what I'll be doing when I go up to 37's) along with my 6" spacers. Benefit with the Bilsteins is better ride quality and control, even though you're still using spacers. Rize also uses spacers along with other kits and 99% of everyone on here doesn't use their truck hard enough (jumping them) to have a spacer be a concern off-road, as many other things will fail before that spacer ever will. I will admit a full length shock to get height is a better design but no one (on here) will ever really need it (if you can't get there with a spacer lift, you still won't get there with extended shocks or aftermaket coilovers and anyone who tells you different is blowing smoke up your A**) and it's just not worth the extra amount of money IMHO. Now for bling factor the pro comp, fabtech and of course the king coilovers look great

Last edited by 07fx4silver; 09-22-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks!! I got the wheels when the lift was put on. My lift uses a spacer but I can adjust my Bilsteins 2" to get a total of 8" of lift (which is what I'll be doing when I go up to 37's) along with my 6" spacers. Benefit with the Bilsteins is better ride quality and control, even though you're still using spacers. Rize also uses spacers along with other kits and 99% of everyone on here doesn't use their truck hard enough (jumping them) to have a spacer be a concern off-road, as many other things will fail before that spacer ever will. I will admit a full length shock to get height is a better design but no one (on here) will ever really need it (if you can't get there with a spacer lift, you still won't get there with extended shocks or aftermaket coilovers and anyone who tells you different is blowing smoke up your A**) and it's just not worth the extra amount of money IMHO. Now for bling factor the pro comp, fabtech and of course the king coilovers look great
I drive my truck everyday so I want the best ride I can get but I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that is overkill either. I don't mind the spacer idea, since I agree that something else will break first, but wasn't sure if the Bilstien's were the same as stock but better ride etc.

I don't do major off-roading since it's my daily, I can't afford to tear it up.

I've got my local guy getting prices together for me for Fabtech with and without DL's, BDS and Rize. The Rize I REALLY like but the 8" and 35's I'm not diggin'. Almost all I've seen have 37's and with my 3:55's I think 37's will be a killer on my power. I would like to re-gear but have not found anyone I feel comfortable with yet to tear into it.

I envy your location BTW...My wife and I LOVE the SW. If we could, we'd be there right now! Literally!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 PM

I hope you don't mind me using your truck to photoshop how mine will look with a 6" lift since they are SO close... ...I'm diggin' it!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:13 PM

Nice! Did you do the install or have it done?
I did the install with a friend (his name is MercedesTech on here). Good experience.

Good choice with the KM2s! I love mine. Awesome tires.

The Fabtech replaces the factory shocks with extended performance shocks, so you dont have those ugly spacers ontop of your stock shocks. The ride quality is great with the lift, its just like factory.

Give a call to Josh @ sportstrailerz, i got my basic fabtech for less than most pay for the basic pro-comp

Quick Reply: Lift help...4" or 6"??