2004 - 2008 F-150

Spider Web Type Fractures in Paint on Front Bumper Valance

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spider Web Type Fractures in Paint on Front Bumper Valance

Hey Guys,

I haave a 2005 F150 Lariat with chrome front bumper and black paint, I'm outside of the 3/36 warranty. The plastic valance above the chrome bumper and below the headlights started developing spider like webing in the paint.

The right front of the bumper had some deep scratches from where someone must have cut a corner in a parking lot and scraped my bumper two years ago, and I had the body shop repaint the bumper at that point. They sprayed the affected area and then cleared the entire bumper. It looked great but a year later (and then the past year I lived with it), it started getting spider web type lines all over, especially by any areas where there are shapes to the bumper valance.

I assumed it was the primer or paint coming up and cracking. Took it back to the body shop who offered to repaint it for free. They started working on it today and just called saying it actually isn't the paint but rather the cracks are in the plastic. They said they'd be happy to sand it all down and still repaint it for free but couldn't cover it if it came back again as they think it's something wrong with the bumper plastic.

I'm out of the 3/36 so Ford won't do anything. Does anyone think it will come back or should I just purchase a new bumper valance for them to paint (still painting for free)?

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them? They said they'd warrant it if it was a new part (said they'd sell me OEM from Tousley Ford at the list price of $160 plus tax).

Thanks,

Duke

Old 07-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Haven't had that happen, and hopefully won't.
But thats a great deal either way for you!!!!
A.) Repaint problematic plastic for free but no warranty buut no cost to you other than time.
B.) Paint new upper bumper and it will be warrantied, but need to buy new bumper cover.

You sir are in a win win situation IMO

Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I agree it definitely could be a lot worse. They are even providing a loaner car while the work is getting done. We've had a good relationship prior to this where they made good money too, so that helps.

I think I'll just fork over the $160 plus tax in order to have the piece of mind warranty if it comes back.

I really don't see it coming back if it's sanded down, but I'd be pissed if it did come back and I'd have to go through this all over again, and I doubt they'd be as willing to be as helpful.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Yah, I'd say go with a new upper bumper, but some people can't afford that, especially right now with our economy, but on the other hand thats about the price of a full tank of gas!

oh and aloaner to boot.. you really cannot go wrong~!

Quick Reply: Spider Web Type Fractures in Paint on Front Bumper Valance