2004 - 2008 F-150

Limited slip helping you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Limited slip helping you?

Question to those with limited slip factory option: I've got the 3.55 LS option on my new '08 2wd. Any big advantages, especially winter driving for those of you with 2wd that you notice?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I love my LS. It was a big improvement in traction over other Non LS trucks i've driven. Combined with my tires i barley used 4x4 last winter.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had a 4wd without LS. I more often than not had to put the vehicle in 4wd for any low traction situations. Times that when I had LS, I would not even worry about 4wd. It also made a big difference for those times when you had to have 4wd. With LS, I can plow through stuff I wouldn't even attempt without LS. I will never buy another 4wd without LS. Even though it is only the rear, it makes a world of difference.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Awesome, good to hear. I've had 4wd for the past 17 years on all my vehicles, so was hesitant to how much the ls would help.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My last truck was open (non LS) and my current one has the LS....huge difference. In my last one on just normal country roads with mud and snow it would take me a while to get around the corner and get going...with the LS I dont even notice it.
That is the biggest/nicest difference to me, of course there are a lot more...esp. if you like to go out and play in the mud and such...or like two black marks instead of the peg leg one wheel wonder

Old 07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hells yeah its worth it...2 tire fire baby!!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 AM
My experience with limited slip diffs (factory) is that they are great when set up correctly. My 97 had issues with the right amount of friction modifier right after the first off-roading experience. I thought that I was out of the woods on this issue with my 05, but lightning does strike in the same spot twice...or three times in my case. The diff on my 05 acted up right after service at 30K (yes, it did not need changed, but I did it) with a rear fluid change. The LS acted like an open rear after some mild off-roading, so I went back for a second service. They said not the right amount of friction modifier, so I was out the door. The very next day I was binding up while going around turns...again not the right amount of modifier (not allowing normal slip in turns). The third visit gave the best result with assisted traction from both sides at about one full revolution of the right side rear. It has worked wonders since.

One comment about LS vs. open diffs in snow. LS rear can get you into trouble if you are not careful. I found out with the 97 that careless monitoring of the throttle can send the rear around to meet the front in a hurry. Once the one wheel starts to loose traction, the other starts to spin sending the rear to one side or the other...fishtailing. If you put a decent set of snow tires on an open diff, one can go just about anywhere on a decent road. For really slick snow pack, I don't even bother in 2wd and lock in the front just to keep good traction on a LS.

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by KSpencer
One comment about LS vs. open diffs in snow. LS rear can get you into trouble if you are not careful. I found out with the 97 that careless monitoring of the throttle can send the rear around to meet the front in a hurry. Once the one wheel starts to loose traction, the other starts to spin sending the rear to one side or the other...fishtailing. If you put a decent set of snow tires on an open diff, one can go just about anywhere on a decent road. For really slick snow pack, I don't even bother in 2wd and lock in the front just to keep good traction on a LS.

Ditto, I learned that lesson quick with my old 98 f150 on slick muddy roads. But once that lesson was learned that 2wd went just about anywhere I wanted it to go and drove it with no stucks for 9 years. And would run circles around my g'father's 97 f150 in sand with an open rear end.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
I love my LS. It was a big improvement in traction over other Non LS trucks i've driven. Combined with my tires i barley used 4x4 last winter.
it works good for what it is, but i still needed my 4x4 last winter. but i guess if you used your 4 wheel drive 100 times or more last winter, ls dont even matter really.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS is just the gravy ontop of a good chicken fried steak

It's not needed, but damn if it don't save your butt. It's embarassing to get stuck in wet grass on a level lawn (no LS).

As for snow, the 2006 winter I used the 06 F-150 to drive to work in 4x2. The 1994 F-150 (4x4 non-ls) couldn't get out of my culdesac I lived in. The rear tire just spun, and 1 of the fronts blazed in place. The snow was banked about 1 foot and the 06 just powered over without any issues

just try to be a good boy in the rain/snow. The temptation to drift is rather strong

Quick Reply: Limited slip helping you?