2004 - 2008 F-150

need advice on replacing exhaust manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice on replacing exhaust manifold gasket

after spending the money on replacing the cam phasers. I actually still have a manifold leak

so I am tackling that today

any suggestions
remove liner i hear helps
remove starter I hear helps
any trick to prevent the bolts from snapping
any special extensions needed to reach all bolts..

etc. etc

thanks

Ramb

Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
If you have stck manifolds you shouldnt need to pull the starter. The manifolds use studs so it isnt that difficult to get loose. I found that if you pull the inner fender and wheel on the passenger side really helps to get the top front 2 bolts. Do the passenger side first as it is the tightest clearance then the driver side were you have plenty of room. It took my 1 hr to replace my header gaskets and that was removing the starter and lifting the motor to get enough room. Good Luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes be careful, they are bolts iirc (apparently not according to huitt but it's been a while) and one of mine snapped which needed to be extracted so use caution. Remove the tire, liner and I think you'll be ok. Just replacing the gasket might not be all you need, you probably need to resurface the manifold. This should only be about $50 but it will give you a flat surface. Lastly, if you are doing the passenger side which sounds like you are, it's going to be a bitch. You're probably going to need to tilt the engine block to one side. Huitt, I don't know how you did that in one hour.

Now that raises a question, why did you need to replace the gaskets? Did your headers warp or develop a leak? I have developed this exhaust leak at the manifold 3 times, fixed it the first time on the passenger side, now the pass and driver side both leak again.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:43 PM
my factory stock manifolds had studs with nuts but my headers have bolts. I have had to take it loose a couple of times so i have found the quickest way possible for me. Mine were replaced becasue I used paper gaskets the first time.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 PM
thanks

tilting the motor?

jsut rmove the engine mount and use a jack on what.... not the oil pan I'm sure.....

the fender liner just uses reuseable christmas trees and a couple bolts right?

Ramb

Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by rambunctious
thanks

tilting the motor?

jsut rmove the engine mount and use a jack on what.... not the oil pan I'm sure.....

the fender liner just uses reuseable christmas trees and a couple bolts right?

Ramb
Put a piece of 2x4 or 4x4 on the jack and slide it under the oil pan. Then just slowly raise the engine until you have the clearance you need.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:43 AM
you should really need to lift the engine for the stock manifold I just had to do it with my header. I did use a 2x4 on the jack across the oil pan.

Quick Reply: need advice on replacing exhaust manifold gasket