2004 - 2008 F-150

review write up: Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
review write up: Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks

I now have my Bilstein 5100 shocks on. With the leveling kit replacement shocks in the front. There is some info that I know some of you specifically want to know, so If I don't cover it please let me know.

1) If you go to a shop to have them installed make sure they understand that the shocks will lift the truck when mounted on the higher ring. My shop called me and they were convinced they would not work. I went down and got Bilstein on the phone to talk to the owner. So tell them to called Bilstein if they have questions. By the way Bilstein provided me with great phone support.

2) I recommend having a shop install the front shocks as a heavy duty spring compressor is needed. I watched the shop use their big spring compressor and I was glad I did not try to use a Autozone rental. I did install the rear shocks on my own with great ease.

3) The ride is great. The shop was convinced I would have a stiff harsh ride but its not. It is stiffer but I wouldn't say harsher. I know it seems weird to say that. But the shocks handle and smooth out the small bumps and pot holes well and they also improve handling and cornering greatly. I have not gone offroad at all yet, but I am sure they will do great.

4) I previously had the 2.5" AS leveling kit. Measured at my front bumper I am about 1/2" to 3/8" lower than the AS spacer. This put my tires a little closer the the rear of the fender at full lock, but this was easily taken care of in five minutes with and angle grinder and cut-off wheel. I am completely ok with this small loss because the angles of my suspension components are at way better angles and the appearance of my truck is the same to the naked eye. By the way I have a 3" block out back, instead of the 1.5" stock block.

I will post pics soon when I get a chance to take and post them.

Let me know if there is anything else anyone would like to know.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the info man, you explained alot of questions that I wanted to know. The stock shocks are really starting to bother me and I have been thinking for the bilsetins for a while.

So your saying the actual height didnt change at all??

thats my biggest concern.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ballin STX
Thanks for the info man, you explained alot of questions that I wanted to know. The stock shocks are really starting to bother me and I have been thinking for the bilsetins for a while.

So your saying the actual height didnt change at all??

thats my biggest concern.
Going from the 2.5" leveling kit to these shocks I lost about 3/8" to 1/2" of height. But like I said I am ok with this, because My tires still fit, and my angles are way better. But I did have to do a little more trimming than before. But its really trimming I should have done before with the leveling kit anyways, I was just able to get away with it a bit longer.

So to the spot I measured on my front bumer (ground to valence/bumper line)

Autospring leveling kit = 21"
Bilstein leveling shocks = 20 1/2" to 20 3/4"

Of course it is hard to get prefect measurements, since the ground is never perfect.

I would say that worst case is that you would lose the whole 1/2". But now that I did, I am glad I did. Still looks good and better performance.

Oh ya, I should add, since the Bilsteins are a little stiffer and not so squishy, I feel like when cornering offroad, they won't be pushing up towards the fenders so easy anyways. So its kinda a give and take thing as far as that goes.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Do you have any pictures of what and where you trimmed to make it fit better? I've heard of people trimming but I can never picture in my head exactly what they are trimming.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of shop were you at, I need to know what kind of shops rebuild coilovers?

Old 03-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Josiah
What kind of shop were you at, I need to know what kind of shops rebuild coilovers?
Any place that does suspension work. Look for a 4WD shop or something.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:33 PM
where did you get them and how much? I have an 07 FX4 and would love to put new bilsteins on.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I just installed my rear 5100's today and i can tell you the old shocks were as soft as pup chit! The new shocks take a little bit of muscle to compress to get the bolt in but nothing you could not handle on your own. Going to put my fronts in some time this week when my friend gets his spring compressor home from his work.

I too am not sure whether to use the 2 inch leveling kit i have installed or go with the 2 inch spring perch on the shock. I like the height im at now and don't want to change it. I may put it on the 2 inch height and measure it and compare it to the length of the shock with the 2 inch leveling kit. Ill make my choice when i do the install. Unless somebody out there already has the numbers.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Irish FX4
I just installed my rear 5100's today and i can tell you the old shocks were as soft as pup chit! The new shocks take a little bit of muscle to compress to get the bolt in but nothing you could not handle on your own. Going to put my fronts in some time this week when my friend gets his spring compressor home from his work.

I too am not sure whether to use the 2 inch leveling kit i have installed or go with the 2 inch spring perch on the shock. I like the height im at now and don't want to change it. I may put it on the 2 inch height and measure it and compare it to the length of the shock with the 2 inch leveling kit. Ill make my choice when i do the install. Unless somebody out there already has the numbers.
You should end up the same if you use the shock as your lift. I went from a 2.5" leveling kit to the shocks and lost 1/2" so it should work out for you.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by boomer08
where did you get them and how much? I have an 07 FX4 and would love to put new bilsteins on.

I got them here
http://store.topguncustomz.com/store...82&i=193574766

$389 shipped

Old 03-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I was just at a standard auto shop. I could have went to any shop here that does suspension. I live in a small/medium size town. All they needed was a spring compressor. They just put the coil spring onto the bilstein and compress it together, the bilstiens come with instructions

Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by jimc2004
You should end up the same if you use the shock as your lift. I went from a 2.5" leveling kit to the shocks and lost 1/2" so it should work out for you.
I checked the shock and it measures 1 3/8" from the stock perch location to the 2" location. The 2" leveling kit i installed was 1 1/2" thick so there is a 1/8 inch difference. I am going to go with the 2" perch location for my install. Ride height change should be minimal or no difference.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Irish FX4
I checked the shock and it measures 1 3/8" from the stock perch location to the 2" location. The 2" leveling kit i installed was 1 1/2" thick so there is a 1/8 inch difference. I am going to go with the 2" perch location for my install. Ride height change should be minimal or no difference.
Yea, I think you will be happy. I went from 2.5" to these and I am still happy, so you should be good to go

Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by jimc2004
Yea, I think you will be happy. I went from 2.5" to these and I am still happy, so you should be good to go
Hey Thanks Jim,

I believe the 2.5" leveling kit spacer is 1 5/8" thick so if you allow for the perch support ring you install being about 1/8", you lost 1/8" on your lift, mine should work out to the same.

PS. Happy Paddy's day.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Well i finally got some time today and installed my front Bilstien 5100's on the 2" setting. Install was a breeze except for the damn nuts on top of the old shock. Had to cut them off. After in stall the truck was about 1/2" to 3/4" difference from front to rear. Which was exactly what i had with my 2" AS leveling kit.

Truck handles real nice and feels a lot more stable. I'd say it took me about 4 hours stopping to shoot the chit with some neighbors who were curious about what i was doing to my truck now.

Well all i can say is bring on the winter pot holes now.

Quick Reply: review write up: Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks