2004 - 2008 F-150

***Constant Transmission Whine***

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in August I had the same thing happen in my truck, the whining that was just aggravating as hell because at first that's all it was. It wasn't affecting the driving or shifting different for at least a few weeks. I was going to take it in to the shop, but I was out of warranty anyway and I never have time to deal with getting a rental or anything like that, but then one day the trans just started slipping real bad in almost every gear and by the time I got it to the house she wouldn't move any further and the o/d light was flashing along with the a trans fault read out. I had it towed to a transmission shop and I think it cost me around $2500 or so for the rebuild. Got it back and all was good... For about 3 weeks, then the whining came back! I took it back to the shop, they had it for a few days and when I got it back it was good again. Then, after like a week this time, it was back! I took it to the shop again.. They told me it was normal and not to bring it back until a light came on or it wouldn't drive. I didn't have time to jack with them, so I drove it for a while. Then I just got sick of that GD whining and took it to another shop to see what they thought about it.. They told me they thought it was the torque converter, so I called my original shop and told them what the new shop had said and they were like "well I'm not just gonna throw parts at it because another shop thinks there is something wrong, don't bring it back until a light is on or its not runnin" At this point, I had really had about enough of all this crap.. So that weekend, I pretty much drove that SOB like I stole it Sure nuff, by around midday Monday, it was slipping real bad and the trans fault read out came on... I gladly dropped her off at their shop for the umpteenth time, waited for the usual 3-4 days their slow as$es took, and drove it for another week. Until, you're never gonna guess, that **** went out on me AGAIN!!! This time, I drove it to the shop in 2nd and told them if I didn't have a new transmission by Friday March 6th, I will make it my day job to see to it that they are as miserable as I have been with my truck. He called me a day later and said the case was cracked and they are putting a new unit in there and it will be ready on Friday(tomorrow). I will update you guys after I get it back. I'm still pretty skeptical as to whether or not she'll last me longer than a week or two. Sorry for taking over the thread, I just thought I'd let you know, since you are still under factory warranty.. Good luck

Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Alright fellas, well a little update.

I took my truck to the dealer on monday, got a call yesterday.
They told me that my Torque Convertor was pretty much shot.
So all in all there going to replace it with a new one and also replace
an "abr sensor" supposebly controls the amount of fluid that runs to the transmission.

So I'm gonna pick it up later this afternoon, I'll get back to you all later on tonight how it worked out.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 PM
If you pick it up and it's still messed up, I wouldn't drive it. They may try to go the cheaper route so you're happy til you roll that extra 1000 miles. Take it around the block near the dealer before heading home

Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by FX4REACTION1
Alright fellas, well a little update.

I took my truck to the dealer on monday, got a call yesterday.
They told me that my Torque Convertor was pretty much shot.
So all in all there going to replace it with a new one and also replace
an "abr sensor" supposebly controls the amount of fluid that runs to the transmission.

So I'm gonna pick it up later this afternoon, I'll get back to you all later on tonight how it worked out.
I hope they flushed out the whole system, cooler and transmission and lines. When a TC goes bad, it can contaminate everything, especially the transmission. Flush it all out and add new fluid and you may be good to go for a while. I hope I'm wrong, but but I belive a new trans is around the corner. btw, some of the stuff below is not normally done at most shops, just fyi for you.

Torque Converter Contamination Inspection Printable View (10 KB)
CAUTION: Do not use water-based cleaners or mineral spirits to clean or flush the torque converter or transmission damage will occur. Use only clean automatic transmission fluid designated for the transmission and converter being serviced.

CAUTION: The torque converter drain plug and seal are not reusable. If equipped, discard the drain plug and seal, then install a new drain plug assembly.

If a new or remanufactured torque converter is not being installed, the following steps must be completed.
With the torque converter on a bench, pour a small amount of transmission fluid from the torque converter onto an absorbent white tissue or through a paper filter and examine the fluid.
Observe the color and odor of the fluid. The fluid should be red, not brown or black. Odor may indicate an overheating condition such as clutch disc or band failure.
Examine the stain on the tissue for evidence of particles (spec of any kind). Examine the fluid level indicator for signs of antifreeze (gum or varnish). If particles are present in the fluid or there is evidence of engine coolant or water, a new torque converter must be installed.
If there are no particles or contamination present, drain the remainder of the transmission fluid from the torque converter.
Add 1.9 liter (2 qt.) of clean automatic transmission fluid into the converter and agitate by hand.
Thoroughly drain the fluid.

Last edited by wrench007; 03-20-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: ***Constant Transmission Whine***