2004 - 2008 F-150

Filthy Truck of Mine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Filthy Truck of Mine...

I haven't washed my truck since the first week of January... and it's now March 2nd. Let me first start out by saying that there is a 1/2 inch of sand in the rims where the brake is. There is so much sand that has built up, you can see in some cases, that it was high enough to hit the caliper. It's actually quite odd.

Anyhow, in my front bumper alone, there is just piles and piles of sand. The frame is coated in sand and salt. The leafs have from 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch of sand and salt.

The paint.. well, if it wasn't silver, it'd probably look way worse. There is just layers, upon layers of salt and sand. To the point, where the salt is actually emulsifying on the surface of the truck, especially around the wheel wells. It's kinda creepy.

So... when am I gonna wash it? Prolly not Till the end of this month... or possibly April. Who knows, I surely don't care. It keeps people far, far, very far, away from my truck.

Who wants to see some creepy pix? I do!

I know it doesn't have anything to do with being filthy... but since all the talk of cleaner emissions, I applied a ShopVac filter on my tailpipe. (It's a joke, trust me...)

It's a lot filthier in person... but like I said, being it is silver, it hides nearly everything.

There is about 1/4 of an inch of sand on the bumper...

Emulsification of salt... it so tries to eat the paint...

Last edited by ManualF150; 03-04-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 AM

more...

3/4 inch of sand on the frame... pretty nasty, eh?

Argh... just coated with it...

A better shot of the side... it's just GROSSSSSSS! lol

Did I just throw up milk in the wheel wells of my truck or something? NASTY!

Last edited by ManualF150; 03-04-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..why?? ??

Old 03-04-2008, 01:06 AM

one more...

This is the winner of the gross-ness award of my truck...

3/4 of an inch of sand in my bumper...

Glad you liked looking at my FILTHY truck.

Last edited by ManualF150; 03-04-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by TonkaTruck33
..why?? ??
Because... I felt like it...

I just needed to show off my filthy truck...

Why? Are you in the bathroom puking because my truck was so gross looking? hahaha

Old 03-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Well, good job manual.

You've started yet another useless thread.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 AM

helloooooo rust.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by FX4REACTION1
Well, good job manual.

You've started yet another useless thread.

At least it's got some pictures...

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
helloooooo rust.
I coated the entire frame and underbody with Rustoleum. Not a spec of rust yet. I did this last year, and it's great stuff. I might do it again this year, when I do a spring/summer detail... depending on how it's holding up. But from what I've seen in those pictures, that is BEYOND excellent.

I sprayed it with Rustoleum Industrial grade spray paint in Black with High Gloss, and everytime I clean it... it looks shiny, like I did the whole underbody with tire gel. So far no rust after a year and 3 months.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:36 AM
I have to admit, I'm guilty as well. It's either been to cold, melting slush on the road or snowing the past three months. My truck has never looked so bad since the day I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. My plan was to give it at least a good wash today, then temps went down. wind came up and it started flipin snowing. It's supposed to be in the 50's mid week so I'll try then. My mileage will probably go up getting all the dirt off. So don't feel bad, you're not alone.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by wrench007
I have to admit, I'm guilty as well. It's either been to cold, melting slush on the road or snowing the past three months. My truck has never looked so bad since the day I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. My plan was to give it at least a good wash today, then temps went down. wind came up and it started flipin snowing. It's supposed to be in the 50's mid week so I'll try then. My mileage will probably go up getting all the dirt off. So don't feel bad, you're not alone.
Yeah... it's actually not hurting anything being on there... I've always found that it is easier to damage the paint if you wash it during the winter months, because you can get a lot of that sand and salt to tear up the paint. I just leave it be until there is no more gook on the roads.

Ever since I did the frame with the rust protectant, it's held up very well. Some said that it was a waste of my time and effort... I say not. It is super surprising... it really and truly is. I still plan on giving it another coat this spring or summer... just to make sure I never ever have to worry about it again. Not saying I need it... but it can't hurt.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:08 AM
I am the second owner of my truck (I bought it at 57K, now it has 104K), I think it spent it's life outside because it is starting to rust on the bottoms of the extended cab. Wish I was the first owner and could have given it a better life, makes me sad to see the rust. Reading this thread makes me sad that you are doing that to your truck on purpose... I wash mine every chance I get a nice day (about every two weeks with this weather) and still have to look at the rust. It is not cost effective for me to have a body shop fix it so when I get the next vehicle (which will be a car, if I can afford to keep the truck also) it will get taken care of from the start.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:49 AM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
Good thing you didn't post this in the Detailing forum. You would have all the OCD'ers hurling.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Believe me when I say if I could I would, My wife thinks I'm **** about cleaning my truck all the time, BUT, weather has put me in a predicament the past few months. I wish I had a garage where I could detail it and let it dry for a couple days. On the brighter side, spring is coming and I'll get it looking like new again. On a side note, I bought a set of huskey carpet floor mats last year for the front and they have been a POS. I need something better. The Velcro pads didn't last. So the mats just slide around wherever they want to be, Looking for something better.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
I wash mine every chance I get a nice day (about every two weeks with this weather)

when I get the next vehicle (which will be a car, if I can afford to keep the truck also) it will get taken care of from the start.
^ smart man

Originally Posted by ManualF150
Yeah... it's actually not hurting anything being on there... I've always found that it is easier to damage the paint if you wash it during the winter months
that is just...wow, so you are willingly leaving a corrosive substance on your truck that proves itself daily as a paint detriment...and then gloat about it. methinks the issues your previous car (Escape) come from a similar trend of thinking.

Hey Billybob, you think a neutral drop will hurt anything...nah, go for it.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Suspended
Did your parents drop you on the head repeatedly when you were growing up?

Quick Reply: Filthy Truck of Mine...