2004 - 2008 F-150

Heater Core?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater Core?

In the last week or so my heater has stopped blowing very warm. More like luke warm or even a tad cooler. I've heard something about some kind of mix door that might be the culprit. Any way for me to see which one it might be or both? I know the core is a PITA in the 97-03 f150. How about the 04's? How do you get to the core in those?

Anything I can use like an additive or anything that might flush it out or something?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
In the last week or so my heater has stopped blowing very warm. More like luke warm or even a tad cooler. I've heard something about some kind of mix door that might be the culprit. Any way for me to see which one it might be or both? I know the core is a PITA in the 97-03 f150. How about the 04's? How do you get to the core in those?

Anything I can use like an additive or anything that might flush it out or something?

Thanks

If you don't smell anything sweet(antifreeze) and the windows aren't fogged up its not the heater core. I would check the engine temp(thermostat) or level of the coolant.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
No fog or sweet smell at all. That kind of puts my mind at ease a little.

checked the coolant level last weekend and no puddles under the truck but will check again today.

Edge told me this morning that the Engine coolant and Engine oil were both in the 170 - 190 degree range which should be about normal for 22 deg. outside.

However for the last couple weeks if I switched the Climate control from floor only to split floor vent I could hear a squeak when the door would open to split the air.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 AM
I,m sure you already SEARCHED, I know someone has pictures of the blend door. I think you have to lay on the passanger side floor, hold your Johnson, stick out your tongue, you can just see it.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by beckerjs
I,m sure you already SEARCHED, I know someone has pictures of the blend door. I think you have to lay on the passanger side floor, hold your Johnson, stick out your tongue, you can just see it.
Found pictures of a 97 - 03 install. I'll keep looking. squeak sounded like it was behind the steering collumn. Also have the flow through shifter so not a whole lot of floorboard to lay down in.

Yup just spent the better part of 4 hours searching here and the net. Lots of stuff about people taking it to a dealer to get it fixed. Lots of how to's on 97-03. nothing for 04+.

Went and drove it around at lunch. Still had the groan and squeak when you turn on the vents. Still blew cold. Then started feeling vents. Pass. side was warm, driver's side was cold. Then cycled it a few more times and then both sides started to blow warm. Has to be some type of door in there causing the problem.

Last edited by Jolly_Green_Giant; 01-31-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Well shoot. On the drive home from work I caught the faint smell of antifreeze twice for just a second or two. Who the heck knows.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Just wondering, did you get this fixed?

I've got an 04 lariat screw and I had a new windshield installed yesterday, and this morning when I started up, my heater started doing the same thing you described - MAYBE lukewarm heat.

I didn't notice weird smells, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

I know absolutely nothing about this kind of stuff - is there something I can plainly see that could tell me more about what the problem is?

Does the heater core just stop working suddenly like that?

Used to, once the truck warmed up, the heater would suffocate me barely blowing and set on like 73. This morning I had to put it at 85 to get some warmth.

And wouldnt-cha-know-it....out of warranty Thanksgiving weekend. geeez, I guess there isn't any way I can blame this on the windshield guy, is there?

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
yo jolly g.g., did you find out for sure what the problem is? and another coin-kee-deenk...my 04 screw is also aspen green...hmmmm....

so if the heater core goes out, the a/c still cools or not? and would I still be able to get heat if I crank the temp to 85 or 90? or maybe I'm supposed to start a new thread?

Quick Reply: Heater Core?