2004 - 2008 F-150

2007 F-150 KR dead, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2007 F-150 KR dead, won't start

As the title says, I have a 2007 F-150 KR that won't start. It won't even turn over. All it does when I turn the key is make one "click" and that's it. I tried boosting it thinking it might be the battery and it did exactly the same thing. I tried a few simple things like checking the fuses and tapping on the starter, but they didn't work.

What may be a contributing factor to the problem although I don't believe it is the primary cause is that it is FREAKIN COLD here. By freakin cold I mean that it got down to -44C (-47F) last night, was -42C when I went to work this morning, and hasn't been above -30C in the last 3 days.

I had it towed to the dealership this afternoon but they are telling me they are so busy they can't get to it until Saturday.

Any thoughts? Anybody experience this? It is under warranty but I am without a truck for at least 5 days, maybe more. And this is a 2007 with less than 15,000 miles on it. I am not happy.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

faulty battery is possible. my dads brand new 08 KR with only 1100 miles wouldnt start or turn over either untill we jumped it. 2 hours later, it wouldnt turn over again. took it to the dealer and was diagnosed with a faulty battery, replaced under warranty, now it starts up faster than my 04 ever has.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we just had some damn cold weather last week, -36 without the windchill, my 07 fired right up. sounded like hell, but didnt miss a beat. i'd take the battery out and bring it in the house and let it thaw out. i've had battery's freeze from it being so damn cold. i know that my ranger had a battery blanket on it, not sure if my screw has one or not. throw the charger on it (use extreme caution if you do this, or if you got a heated gargage, assuming you dont if the truck sat outside) plug it in too if its not, but im sure you did. my buddys 07 didnt have any truck yet either. im sure you batter is froze though. gotta love winter my truck has the heavy duty battery also if that matters.

Last edited by ATOM; 01-29-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
faulty battery is possible. my dads brand new 08 KR with only 1100 miles wouldnt start or turn over either untill we jumped it. 2 hours later, it wouldnt turn over again. took it to the dealer and was diagnosed with a faulty battery, replaced under warranty, now it starts up faster than my 04 ever has.
The first thing I did was try to jump start it but that didn't work. Still just the single "click" when the ignition was turned over. For that reason, I eliminated the battery as a possible cause.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd almost guarantee its the battery, unless your starter is frozen. when its that cold out the battery loses so much power.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm a little farther south than you, but my 07 did the same thing last week when it got down to 5 above. It would click once or twice and thats it, jumped started it and all was fine. Took to the dealer later that day, they tested it, sure enough- bad battery. And my truck only has 9K miles on it.

These trucks are known to have bad batteries from the factory, it happens. You see threads all the time about someones battery dying on a new or fairly new truck. If you still have warranty left, get it replaced on Ford's dime, if not, buy an Optima battery.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 01-29-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I just had the battery replaced on my 07 KR. I had it checked by the dealer because I noticed it was starting to crank slower due to the cold weather. They hooked a meter up to it and it showed like 440 CCA. It is suppose to be 500 or 550, I can't remember. Then they ran an analysis computer on the truck that confirmed the battery was bad.

They replaced it under warrany and let me pay the difference for a 850 CCA upgrade, which was $25. Truck only had 4K miles on it.. The engine turns over faster than it ever has before now.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm gonna say bad battery as well. Battery failed in my girlfriends car and it did the same thing....one click.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Sounds like the starter froze, get it indoors for a bit.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Suspended
I bet the battery in your KR is only a 550 0r 650 cca battery if that, do not let your ford dealer try to get away with charging it, if they can get it to hold a charge in a warm service bay, they will send you away.

It has been wickedly cold in calgary, I'm betting that componant that shutts off power to aviod battery drain is the cause, its just not turning back on , My old 04 F-150 pulled this on me as well.

Last edited by cyclone vampire; 01-29-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:07 PM
My F150 wouldn't start the next morning after driving home in a slushy snow storm. Things froze up over night, the next morning I tried to start the F150 all I got was silence! Towtruck driver arrived, but when I told him he would have to dolly the front end, it has shift on the fly 4x4 no neutral, he said, "let me try one thing". He crawled underneath and shorted across the starter solenoid with a screw driver and it started right up! So I drove it to Ford, of course they wanted it towed in to diagnose the issue. Anyway they replaced the solenoid and there have been no starter issues since, that was around March 04, I bought the truck new Dec 03. BB

Old 01-29-2008, 11:21 PM
heres a thought - try plugging the block heater in

its been freakin cold here too, hovering around -40(without wind chill) for the last 3 days. I got a timer in the garage which i plug my truck into before I go to bed, it turns on an hour and a half before i start it to warm up before work in the mornings. so far its started no problem every time. you just hear the belt whining for a couple seconds and its good to go.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Very good chance it is the battery. Sometimes jumping won't even help if it is really dead. Try to charge it and if that doesn't work get a new one. I went ahead and just bought an Orbital deep cycle when mine did the same as yours a few weeks ago. Works awesome!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Hey guys/gals, I could really use some more assistance on this one.......

I am having trouble believing the battery theory for a few reasons, a couple of which I neglected to include in my original post.

First, the truck had only been sitting a couple of hours. I just finished driving it home from work (truck was running for more than an hour). It had been sitting all day in the cold weather prior to that and had NO issues starting at that time. The truck has never had problems starting previously and has never at any time turned over "slower" than normal.

Secondly, when the truck wouldn't start, there was still plenty of power for all of the accessories including the interior lights, headlights, radio, and heater fan running on high. I find it hard to believe that the battery could be so dead that it couldn't even turn over the starter yet power everything else flawlessly.

Lastly, as mentioned, a boost was completely ineffective.

I just heard back from the dealership and they are trying to tell me a frozen battery was the culprit. I am NOT buying it. They brought it in, warmed it up, charged it, and tested it and said everything checked out fine. Oh..........but........before I go, I owe them $87 for the "diagnosis" because a frozen battery is not covered under the Ford Warranty, it is owner negligence.

I am furious, this is not acceptable. The service manager wasn't in for me to speak to but I refused to pay and said I would talk to him tomorrow.

I am convinced this was not a battery problem. Furthermore, I would bet that whatever was causing the problem was "healed" when the truck was brought inside to warm up at the dealership.

I would sure love to hear some other theories on what this could be. Is there any way that this could be a PATS problem? A couple of different sets of keys and keyless remotes were used shortly prior to the problem, could they somehow have triggered something? Or could it have possibly been the starter relay, solenoid, or starter? Any other stupid little thing it could be? Thoughts?

Once again, this is a 2007 with less than 25,000 kms (15,000 miles) of almost all summer highway miles. It is still pretty much a brand new truck.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
With the additional info, I tend to think you had a frozen starter.

You mentioned the PATS system,did you try using unprogrammed keys to start the truck? I believe that after 3 unsuccessful attempts in a prescribed amount of time, it locks out and prevents the truck from starting for like 15 min. even if you have the correct key. If thats what you did, then you were probably locked out by the pats system.

Quick Reply: 2007 F-150 KR dead, won't start