2004 - 2008 F-150

Weird sound when reversing to my left. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird sound when reversing to my left. What is it?

Please remember I'm not a mechanic and have no idea what parts are making the sound, but i think the sounds is coming from the front passenger side near the tire area. The sound is made when I'm reserving to my left, it's not at full lock, I'm parallel parking and straighting myself out in the side of the street by my house (I don't park in the driveway). The problems is it doesn't happen all the time so I can take it to the dealership but I'm not sure if the sound will happen. The sound is loud and embarrassing the truck only has 6k miles and its making this sounds. It's not a scraping sound, more like something needs to lubed up or oiled, sounds like a loud squeak. 2007 F-150 XLT not a 4x4. 4.6

Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
I'll bet anything on the brakes, it's been raining here and mine are doing the same thing, they fill up with road grime, and that causes the squeak.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Mine use to do that with the stock brakes.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
The thing is I'm not applying the breaks when this happens. And it's aways been doing this since I've had the truck, it doesn't really happen when its wet mostly when it's hot and dry. It's not the type of squeaking that comes from breaks it sounds more like the squeaking of unlubed metals being pulled through something, somewhat of a vibrating sounds. Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As stated I would bet on the brakes, not the regular brakes, but the parking brakes. Some, and I was one, have had different problems with the parking brakes. Including the lining material coming loose. If it does come loose, it will probably jam things up while in reverse, but be able to move forward.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I didnt use the brakes either, for some reason when I put it in reverse it just made this squeal or grinding noise. Like stated before it could be your e-brake. I swapped out my rotors and pads and never heard that noise again. The stock rear rotors where rusted on. I swapped everything out at 14k miles.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:19 PM
When in reverse. After a few feet of going backwards slowly. The truck feels like i bumped into something.. It almost feels like its coming from the front of the truck. It doesnt stop the vehicle, but it is definitely telling me something isnt right. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Weird sound when reversing to my left. What is it?