2004 - 2008 F-150

Manual Climate Control to Automatic Climate Control...Anyone Successful??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Climate Control to Automatic Climate Control...Anyone Successful??

Hi Folks,

As has been discussed here in the past (as I've found by the Search function), I'm interested in possibly switching out my manual climate controls to automatic climate controls. I've found a few threads on this by doing search, and it seems like an involved, but possibly managable project. I have an 07 Screw

Of course, all the threads that are out there seem to die after it's determined what's needed...none of them seem to have 'Success' or 'Failure' described.

So...wanted to throw it out there...has anyone successfully done this? Any pictures/instructions?

Thanks!

JP

Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
i was thinking of doing this in my 03 the other day. Im gonna do more research before i buy anything.

If you need any wiring diagrams or schematics let me know.
-Patrick

Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks Patrick,

Honestly...I'll take whatever you got

I don't have any diagrams, and don't really know how to get them.

I have an 07 Supercab XLT 5.4 L. It currently has manual climate control, NO heated seats, NO heated mirrors, NO rear defrost. Should be as basic as they make it.

Much appreciated...Thanks!

JP

Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Global Moderator &

i can send them as .pdf files if you send me an email. what all do you want exactly? I have a whole (ford service) dvd worth of imformation on 07s and there is no way i can send all of it.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't the climate control system and design totally different from the NBS than from the OBS models?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Global Moderator &

you are correct manual.

I was just thinking about upgrading to digital air control, i was not trying to imply that i was getting an 04+ digital system

Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks Patrick,

I guess the .pdf wiring diagrams for the 07 Manual HVAC control and the wiring diagram for the Auto HVAC control would probably be sufficient. I don't have heated seats, mirrors or rear defrost if that matters...so the most basic would suffice.

Total guess though...I haven't seen what's available in those DVD's so I don't know if its setup that way or totally different.

I'll send you an email...thanks

JP

Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Oh, and if anyone has the part number for the EATC unit w/o Heated Seats, w/o Heated Mirrors and w/o rear defrost...that would be helpful. Also, if there is a 'radio trim bezel' for an XLT with EATC, that would be helpful too. I have seen some units on Ebay that look close, but I can't seem to find the part number for that unit, so I have no idea if they are the correct parts or not.

Thanks!
JP

Old 01-23-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand it's possible, but there's some pins you gotta swap around at the instrument cluster connector to make everything jive. I think a few guys on here have done it before, try searching this forum and the HVAC forum.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the thing is the EATC came on the lariats and fx4's with the luxury package. so they come with heated mirrors and i think defrost too. so your gonna have buttons that arent used. if that matters to you. as far as i know the bezels, i dont know if you can get the EATC without having center shift, i dont think you can, well i havent seen it yet anyway. i know you can get a fx4 with column shift. there was a few threads on this recently in hvac.

Last edited by ATOM; 01-23-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ATOM
the thing is the EATC came on the lariats and fx4's with the luxury package. so they come with heated mirrors and i think heated mirros. so your gonna have buttons that arent used. if that matters to you. as far as i know the bezels, i dont know if you can get the EATC without having center shift, i dont think you can, well i havent seen it yet anyway. i know you can get a fx4 with column shift. there was a few threads on this recently in hvac.
The heated mirrors on trucks with a fixed rear glass and EATC are controlled by the rear defroster button; when the rear defrost is on, the heated mirrors are on. I think only trucks with a power sliding glass have a separate button for the heated mirrors, since power sliders don't have rear defrosters. Also, not all Lariats had/have heated seats, they were an option that came with a power passenger's seat and a driver's memory seat package. There's about two or three different EATC control heads depending on how the truck is equipped.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ATOM
the thing is the EATC came on the lariats and fx4's with the luxury package. so they come with heated mirrors and i think defrost too. so your gonna have buttons that arent used. if that matters to you. as far as i know the bezels, i dont know if you can get the EATC without having center shift, i dont think you can, well i havent seen it yet anyway. i know you can get a fx4 with column shift. there was a few threads on this recently in hvac.
Yes, there are lariats with the column shift out there, just not very common.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by petey305
Oh, and if anyone has the part number for the EATC unit w/o Heated Seats, w/o Heated Mirrors and w/o rear defrost...that would be helpful. Also, if there is a 'radio trim bezel' for an XLT with EATC, that would be helpful too. I have seen some units on Ebay that look close, but I can't seem to find the part number for that unit, so I have no idea if they are the correct parts or not.

Thanks!
JP
Just to let you know, there is a radio bezel for the eatc column shift. I did see it on ebay a while back when I was thinking of this mod. Also did see a eatc control without heated seats but it had the heated mirror button.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 PM
The EATC that is the same color for the XLT comes out of a FX-4 06 I believe. Thats the one I'm looking for for this converson into my 05 XLT. Was looking at changing the dash wiring harness any one tried this yet?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the responses folks,

Originally Posted by Quintin
I understand it's possible, but there's some pins you gotta swap around at the instrument cluster connector to make everything jive. I think a few guys on here have done it before, try searching this forum and the HVAC forum.
Ya, I did that, and found quite a few posts. The problem is..NONE of them got past what you mentioned. They all said 'you gotta do this', and the last post is always 'OK, I'll try it and post back results'...then...nothing. No post to success or failure....which I'm guessing is not a good thing.

If I knew this was possible and had some basic instructions, I'd probably be willing to try...Unfortunatly, I don't have the money to burn to chart new territory.

For the EATC, I was able to find this description from some online part dealers:

-----------------------------------------------------
Dash control unit, f150, mark lt, w/atc, w/o rear defroster, w/o heated seats - f150 new style 2004-07, mark lt - F150 NEW STYLE 2004-07, MARK LT 06-07
----------------------------------------------------

but it doesn't give a part number unfortunatly. I'm guessing that's as close as I would get...sounds like the heated mirror button maybe there (another upgrade perhaps?).

I haven't been able to find any bezel parts described.

JP

Quick Reply: Manual Climate Control to Automatic Climate Control...Anyone Successful??