2004 - 2008 F-150

Aftermarket Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket Flywheel

So I have a grind when I try to start my truck. It makes the same sound as when you try to turn the key over with the truck already started, exactly. I've been told it's a warped flywheel. I know there are aftermarket alluminum flywheels, but what are my options. Where can I find a flywheel? And will the old body style flywheels work on the new F-150's? I pray they will, it will be a hell of a lot easier to find one.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure the flywheel is warped? Maybe you just need to shim your starter???

Old 11-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that happeneds to me somtimes too.. maybe once every 3months.. i have no idea why this happends or how to prevent it, how does this work?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If it does it ALL the time, your starter is most likely not engaging all the way or the gear on it is messed up...I would check that first for sure if you havent. Its kind of hard to believe the flywheel would be messed up in all 4 spots that it stops...could be though.

I really dont see a warped flywheel happening to easily either...spose it could happen.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 PM

It grinds a few times, sometimes just once, and then it starts. Sometimes it doesn't grind at all and starts right up. So there are 4 parts where it stops? Sounds like it could be my problem am I wrong? When I pulled the old starter the gear teeth were damaged, but the new one had the same problem.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Your starter should not engage after its started I know mine wont.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:19 PM
I had the exact same problem.

Then one day went to CVS, came back out and tried to start it... and bang.. starter blew.

Had to get towed to the dealership and have a new starter put in (both under warranty.)

EDIT: Haven't had the problem since.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2007, 07:20 PM

I'm not talking about it grinding while the truck is running, it's while going out to my truck putting the key in the ignition, and then it grinds trying to start up. I have to stop turning over, wait a few secs and then try again and sometimes it will start, sometimes it will grind a few more times. It's all random. I've replaced the starter already, exact same problem.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I'm not talking about it grinding while the truck is running, it's while going out to my truck putting the key in the ignition, and then it grinds trying to start up. I have to stop turning over, wait a few secs and then try again and sometimes it will start, sometimes it will grind a few more times. It's all random. I've replaced the starter already, exact same problem.
The ring gear is worn. The flywheel will stop at one of four spots when the engine is shut off, depending on how worn each spot is will lead to the random grinding during startup. You have to change the ring gear, otherwise you'll just ruin the starter again.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM

The ring gear, are you referring to the ring gear around the flywheel? In that case I will need to pull the transmission, do you know where I can find the ring gear online to purchase, and how much they roughly cost? Will the Pre-04 F-150s ring gear work on the new body style?

The image below is what I'm assuming you're referring to, and what mine probably looks like.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
The ring gear, are you referring to the ring gear around the flywheel? In that case I will need to pull the transmission, do you know where I can find the ring gear online to purchase, and how much they roughly cost? Will the Pre-04 F-150s ring gear work on the new body style?

The image below is what I'm assuming you're referring to, and what mine probably looks like.

wow.. that looks bad..

Old 11-29-2007, 09:24 PM

that is not my flywheel, just an example

Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM
The "ring gear" your asking about is the flywheel. You cant get just the gear itself. The flywheel bolts between your tourqe converter and your crank shaft...and yes you have to take the transmission loose to change it. I have never heard of one warping...I have had one crack but never warp.
I would check to see if its the starter first though...I suspect its not engaging all the way. Your flywheel may need changing but I would bet it was caused by a bad starter (in other words change the starter too!)
I am not at all familiar with the F150 transmission but if it was a Chevy (I have changed 5 or 6 of them) you can take the inspection plate off the bottom of the bellhousing and check your flywheel. Turn it using a large screw driver and check the whole thing (one bad spot will make the sound your talking about.) If its bad then it had to be replaced.
With that said a flywheel shouldnt be THAT expensive...less than $100 I would think. Any trans shop should be able to get you one...probably even Autozone would have them. Dont waiste your money on an aluminum one though...unless your trying to puck up a quarter of a tenth in the quarter mile you will be waisting your money.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Maybe this will help explain it better.
Here is a pic of what your flywheel will look like:

The holes on the inside bolt to the crank shaft (from the trans side toward the engine) and the holes on the outside bolt to the torque converter (from the engine side toward the trans side).

Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Maybe this will help explain it better.
Here is a pic of what your flywheel will look like:

The holes on the inside bolt to the crank shaft (from the trans side toward the engine) and the holes on the outside bolt to the torque converter (from the engine side toward the trans side).
MmM! Shinyeh!

Those teeth wear down kind of quick on the new flywheels...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Flywheel