2004 - 2008 F-150

BDS 6" Lift...Good? or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BDS 6" Lift...Good? or Bad?

I parked my truck this morning at work as usual. When I went out at lunch, this guy with a Red 2005 FX4 (same model as my 06) was parked next to me. His truck had a BDS 6" lift and 36" Nitto Tires. And it had the desired effect. Made me green with envy.

The truck looked great, but what really caught my eye was the CV angle. They were perfectly level. I haven't seen this yet on any of the lifts available.

Anyways, I've had BDS lifts before, but those were on a solid axle trucks. How is the quality of their products nowadays? When I do get to go 4x4, I actually get into some rough stuff. Most lift kits I've seen have extreme CV joint angles and this makes me paranoid about breakage.

Anybody have this kit? Any thoughts?

oh yeah, it had this bada$$ looking centerpiece on the front axle that was laser cut wih BDS...

Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every lift comes with angles that are just like stock.. The only ones that don't are when people have stacked a leveling kit/spacer ontop or cranked coilovers.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only seen about 3 lifted F-150's in person. 2 of them had angles that were pretty extreme. I guess most of them were stacking lift blocks or cranking.

thanks for the update

Old 10-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I still haven't figured out why the IFS lift kits are so expensive...there is no way that an IFS lift kit costs anywhere close to what the manufacturers are charging for them.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are nice kits but they are way overpriced in my opinion.They use a big block spacer like procomp on top of your stock coilover and charge over $2100 for the kit as to where I have seen the procomps for $1100-1400.Just seems like its overpriced.I was dissapointed when I seen that especially for the price.At least Fabtech replaces the shock part of the front coilover with theres and doesn't stack a big spacer on top instead and for about the same price.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
I still haven't figured out why the IFS lift kits are so expensive...there is no way that an IFS lift kit costs anywhere close to what the manufacturers are charging for them.
more engineering time, there are more things to take it to account, alot more metal, bolts and just random little things that play a big roll than a straight axle front end.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
Anyways, I've had BDS lifts before, but those were on a solid axle trucks. How is the quality of their products nowadays? When I do get to go 4x4, I actually get into some rough stuff. Most lift kits I've seen have extreme CV joint angles and this makes me paranoid about breakage.

Anybody have this kit? Any thoughts?

As far as quality goes on the shock absorber, I can tell yout that it is virtually the same as that found on Explorer, Fabtech, Tuff Country and Rancho, to just name a few. All of the named shocks and several others are made at the same manufacturing facility as the BDS so therefore they are made using the same processes, the same machinery, etc. To put it in simpler terms...they are made on the same production line with minor differences in the valving (except if you are talking about the Rancho RS9000 series). After the shocks are made they are then sent to BDS, Rancho, and company where they are then resold to the end user.
So all of these shocks are of the same quality.

Trending Topics

Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Nebchero
So all of these shocks are of the same quality.
What do you mean "all" of these shocks? Are you just talking about cheap white body shocks? I can agree to that but there are plenty of shocks that come with lifts that don't compare to a white body like the Bilsteins with the RCD and Superlift kits.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Sorry for any confusion, I meant to say all of the ones named in the post, including the BDS.

Quick Reply: BDS 6" Lift...Good? or Bad?