2004 - 2008 F-150

Gas Brand vs. Mileage vs. Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Brand vs. Mileage vs. Plugs

Longer that it should be, but...

After reading some posts about brands of gas vs. mileage and the spark plug dilemma around a year ago, I decided to experiment. The primary experiment was to understand if there is indeed a relationship between improved mileage and "considered to be" better gasoline brand. I chose Shell gas to compare to the Valero (Corner Store) brand I have been running since day one. The Shell station was a little out of the way, but managed to run this brand consistently for 10000 miles with data on mileage. I had previously averaged 16.5 mpg on the Valero stuff over a 10000 mile period between 20K and 30K. Let me take a short side-track here. I also checked two of my plugs at around 10K to just see what they looked like. Absolutely gross, it looked as if they were already needing changed, but I put them back in and decided to run until 30K for the scheduled maintainance at Ford plus a plug change. I started wondering if the gas brand switch would also help the plugs too when I switched at 30K. Recap: I switched plugs and fuel brand at 30K, and the mileage over the last 10K on Valero gas was 16.5 mpg. I then started out with new plugs and the Shell gas for the next 10K (I'm at 40K now) with some interesting results. The mileage increased only to 17.2, so nothing to write home about really. I did not think that I would see a great increase, but .7 miles per gallon is better. I also took out the same two plugs as last time to check yesterday. Amazing! First, they did not crack and pop like the first time, they just came right out. Secondly, they only had a small amount of gray deposit (thick and black last time) at the tip leaving only a nice glaze on the grounding shield. I could actually wipe most of the gray off with only a shop towel. I was going to take some pictures, but my camera was with the wife and newborn son yesterday. Now, there is only one difference between the old plugs and the new ones...heat range. The new ones were the cooler range plugs (can't remember the number), so that could play a factor. Regardless, the Shell gas performed much better in the clean department just like the commercial showing the valves suggests. No more Valero gas for me.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Smile

I have noticed as much as 10% increase in mileage when using shell,, hard to believe but thats what I see. I also read another post about better spark plug removal from people using shell. I have never removed mine so I can't know. I do know my owners manual recommend a good quality gasoline such as shell for mileage. I have close to 30K on the truck now and 50% of gas was shell for the first 20K last 10K has been all shell. I now only use shell..
My two cents

Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Well according to my gas gap "Ford recommends BP"

Old 10-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Your manual, and your gas cap, both recommend BP (not Shell).

Chances are, the gas at your Shell station had been refined by someone else (and probably multi-some-elses over the period of your 1000 miles). Texaco puts 10 million gallons into the pipeline on one end, and they take out 10 millions gallons on the other end. Who knows who refined what they took out at the other end. It all meets the same standards. The only difference is the additives they put in after they pull it out of the pipe line.

Your MPG will differ from station to station. Usually, the condition of the station's tanks has a greater impact on the quality of the gas than any brand or additive.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Shell gas, no matter where in the entire state of Texas I get it, gives me better mileage than any other brand.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM

NO, my manual recomends a gasoline such as shell. BP is almost none existant in Canada where I live, and the manual rec's shell. period. Never seen any writting on the gas cap but I will look.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by worland

Chances are, the gas at your Shell station had been refined by someone else (and probably multi-some-elses over the period of your 1000 miles). Texaco puts 10 million gallons into the pipeline on one end, and they take out 10 millions gallons on the other end. Who knows who refined what they took out at the other end. It all meets the same standards. The only difference is the additives they put in after they pull it out of the pipe line.
I have a nice bridge, old but well maintained, that overlooks a beautiful harbour in Sydney, Australia that I'm selling cheap.

You interested?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by worland
Originally Posted by darko21
NO, my manual recomends a gasoline such as shell. BP is almost none existant in Canada where I live, and the manual rec's shell. period.
P W N 3 D

Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree KSPENCER. Read my thread " A good spark plug story" and see pics of my plugs. My truck has been strictly on Shell since day one and at thirty k miles the plugs looked virtually new. Who know's if it was strictly due to the gas but I figure why mess with sucess!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 AM
interesting

this was interesting to me as i had checked with my Shell station and asked them about where they get their gas. He stated they do not get gas from anywhere else than Shell. Said Shell has their own refinery and thats why you will only see Shell trucks filling up their tanks. My plugs were also removed around at 20,000 miles after major engine work (broke a support) and i requested they be changed. Talked to mechanic who said he had no problems taking them out. Couple of years back we had major problems with fuel injectors all failing at the same time here in Wisconsin. A investigation was started they found out that some stations were not putting the EPA's necessary amount of cleaning additives to clean the injectors into their gas and saving a couple of bucks. Caused major problems. The investigation would not name the stations as it would of caused them to shutdown if people found out...... but Shell took out a full page ad in the paper and told how they do not follow the EPA's recomendation of cleaning additives and actually put 5X more in their regular gas and up to 15X more in their premium. Just thought i'd pass this along.. jop

Last edited by jpmpd; 10-22-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run either Shell or BP (usually Shell) since I was 16. Grandfather worked for Shell was the main reason for using Shell gas. Hopefully my plugs will come out good too, but I'm still having the dealer do it.

Also on my old ranger I had to tear the engine down due to a cracked cylinder wall at around 80k miles and the majority of engine looked good as new. That was always using shell gas and Val dino oil...not saying it's because of the products but they didn't have any ill affects atleast.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:51 PM
I also think that this has everything to do with the cleaning additives that Shell uses in their gas. I am not sure where is comes from (refinery or other suppy), but the stuff does clean very well IMO. Maybe I will see my mileage increase over the next 10K, but this just makes me feel better so that I can confidently change my own plugs and pocket the 200 bucks.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shell Stations here in Houston, where they have so much infrastructure are shockingly few and far between. Valero stations are all over the place... But I agree, the spark plug problem and gas milage can't do anything but be helped by better additives / detergents. But if it's the detergents. What about something like a bottle of Techron every other tank full?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
what the hell is "BP" mean?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Shell gas, no matter where in the entire state of Texas I get it, gives me better mileage than any other brand.
X2 - I can get about 125 miles to 1/4 tank with Shell supreme, while anyone else may get me 110 max, usually it's worse than that though.

Quick Reply: Gas Brand vs. Mileage vs. Plugs